Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iZap: External Power for the iPhone

Zap! released a press release announcing that their iZap for iPod external battery works for the iPhone and will triple the charge of the iPhone. Aside from powering the device, iZap can also be used for charging the iPhone.
Quote:
"The iZAP and iPhone are compatible right out of the box, almost like they were made for one another. You don't need to buy additional connectors or cords and with the iZAP cradle you can recharge your iPhone right on your belt."
The external battery costs $79.00.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Telp
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Telp
Wait, i dont get it, what is this and how does it work?
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:12 PM   #3
spacehog371
macrumors regular

Just ordered one... this is exactly what I need in case my battery starts running low at a bad time... which actually is anytime.
spacehog371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:28 PM   #4
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telp View Post
Wait, i dont get it, what is this and how does it work?
What part of "external battery" don't you understand?
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:34 PM   #5
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog371 View Post
Just ordered one... this is exactly what I need in case my battery starts running low at a bad time... which actually is anytime.
Be sure to let us know it works for you.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:15 AM   #6
loudestnoise
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to loudestnoise Send a message via Skype™ to loudestnoise
Belkin iPod Battery Backup

My Belkin iPod Battery Backup works too. It does give a non iPhone accessory warning, but still works great. I like the fact that it takes AAs so I can keep putting more in when it dies. This saved my life on a long bus ride had recently.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:54 AM   #7
Mac-Addict
macrumors 65816

Its big and ugly and covers the iPhone's camera, No thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 07:43 AM   #8
kadajawi
macrumors member

Why doesn't some company create a user replaceable battery for the iPhone? A different, easy to open back cover would be needed, the original battery unsoldered and in it's place a battery compartment installed. I suppose that should be doable. My smartphone would be unusable without a secondary battery, and it has a somewhat similar battery life.
kadajawi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:15 AM   #9
joshysquashy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadajawi View Post
Why doesn't some company create a user replaceable battery for the iPhone? A different, easy to open back cover would be needed, the original battery unsoldered and in it's place a battery compartment installed. I suppose that should be doable. My smartphone would be unusable without a secondary battery, and it has a somewhat similar battery life.
well once you have gone to all that trouble its probably cheaper and easier just to replace the battery and close it up again permanently, people don't normally need to replace the battery that often.
joshysquashy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:24 AM   #10
plumbingandtech
macrumors 68000

I'd love one for emergencies that matched the iphone silver black and was the same height and just plugged into the bottom keeping the same profile.

Maybe only 1 inch long. Even if only gave 3 more hours...

I hope everyone that whined about the lack of a swapple battery is now starting to wake up to the fact that there are other ways to charge the battery.

BTW. I bought the Power Jolt from Griffen. Works like a charm. Nice for when you are going to be out all day and want some form of back up power.

Plugs right into the cig adapter in your car.
plumbingandtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:51 AM   #11
Maui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Addict View Post
Its big and ugly and covers the iPhone's camera, No thanks.
Agreed, but the ability to re-charge the iPhone is interesting. I have used up the entire battery in less than one day on a few occasions. This might be worthwhile as an emergency charger, depending on how long it takes to charge the phone.
Maui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:45 PM   #12
iMosaic
macrumors regular

I dug out my Griffin TuneJuice to hook to my iPhone. It takes a 9 volt battery and gives the "not for iPhone warning" but shows the full charge icon on the iPhone. I'll let you know.
iMosaic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:40 PM   #13
DaveLG526
macrumors newbie

Smile Good Idea: iPhone = Web Terminal

I think many will acquire and use the iPhone as a PDA and Web Browser more than for a phone.

Although there a power user phone addicts email seems to be the preferred communication method for business users and text messaging is a hot amongst teenagers and the 20's set.

Mant users I have observed get a real charge out of the iPhones web browsiing capability over WiFi. The Edge service pretty much makes the browsing experience sub par but usable in a pinch. Used as a web browser in place of a laptop the iPhone can eat up the battery fast so this external battery product has a good chances to succeed in the market, The reasonable price will help too.
DaveLG526 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:04 PM   #14
GTiPhone
Banned

Send a message via AIM to GTiPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLG526 View Post
I think many will acquire and use the iPhone as a PDA and Web Browser more than for a phone.
.........what!?

It IS a phone. With other features. Its called the i PHONE.
GTiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:12 PM   #15
kollejboy
macrumors newbie

got one

i've had one of these for a bit now, and it's totally great. my mom and sis also have iphones and complain about the battery with web browsing being short, but this little sucker really fixed that for them too.

the whole company ZAP! is ridiculous and to me undervalued. if they actually come out with the zap-x concept car...it's going to change the auto industry. gm is already copying them and tesla with the volt. i just bought a crap ton of their stock, so i'm definitely biased btw.

but it does work flawlessly. it comes out of the cradle really easily so if youre worried about the camera thing chill out.
kollejboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 09:42 AM   #16
bigmc6000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollejboy View Post
i've had one of these for a bit now, and it's totally great. my mom and sis also have iphones and complain about the battery with web browsing being short, but this little sucker really fixed that for them too.
I really have to wonder what type of phones people had before the iPhone. I mean, yes, compared to my non web surfing, non music playing, Z525a flip phone the battery life is less than stellar but come on! I've only drained the battery once and recently went 2 days w/out plugging it in at all. So yeah, I really have no idea why people complain about battery life - I think it's great. Besides that I bought an AC adapter for my iPod back in the day so I've got an adapter at work, 1 at home, and 1 extra cord (that case with the iPod) to plug directly into my computer if need be. Oh, and I've got a Kensington all-in-one adapter that comes with and iPod jack that works both with an outlet and in the car or airplane. I just don't see what the big issue is - if you're in the car a lot drop the $10 and go buy an iPod adapter, if you're at work a lot just go buy another cable and/or AC adapter and change it there as well. You can't be actually using 24/7 can you? I just plug mine in at night... That and when I'm at work I turn off bluetooth and wi-fi 'cause I don't use either. I think that's probably the kicker - if you're not using those functions just turn them off. It's so easy!
bigmc6000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:01 PM   #17
Hunabku
macrumors regular

How does it effect reception???

Well it is well know that if you hold your iPhone like any other phone the reception (bars) drop in many cases.

NOTE TO APPLE: Put the antennae on the top of the iphone instead of the bottom on future releases!!!!

So i wonder how this battery is going to effect reception?
Hunabku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:00 PM   #18
DaveLG526
macrumors newbie

Talking Calm Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiPhone View Post
.........what!?

It IS a phone. With other features. Its called the i PHONE.

My point was that people will spend more time with it doing browsing than talking.
DaveLG526 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 01:12 AM   #19
CJD2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLG526 View Post
My point was that people will spend more time with it doing browsing than talking.
I'm one of those, and just about everyone I know who bought the iPhone replaced their Palm devices with it and are using it for web browsing, appointments, messaging and a few phone calls here and there...

I always had an issue with Apple using the iPhone monicker (especially with the ridiculous lawsuit with Cisco). I thought iMobile made much more sense, as it is MORE than a phone. Remember, Jobs said "It's a browser, iPod, Phone... Browser, iPod, Phone..." You get the point...
CJD2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion