Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

izap_500.jpg

Zap! released a press release announcing that their iZap for iPod external battery works for the iPhone and will triple the charge of the iPhone. Aside from powering the device, iZap can also be used for charging the iPhone.
"The iZAP and iPhone are compatible right out of the box, almost like they were made for one another. You don't need to buy additional connectors or cords and with the iZAP cradle you can recharge your iPhone right on your belt."

The external battery costs $79.00.

Article Link

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Just ordered one... this is exactly what I need in case my battery starts running low at a bad time... which actually is anytime.

kadajawi

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2006
Why doesn't some company create a user replaceable battery for the iPhone? A different, easy to open back cover would be needed, the original battery unsoldered and in it's place a battery compartment installed. I suppose that should be doable. My smartphone would be unusable without a secondary battery, and it has a somewhat similar battery life.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Why doesn't some company create a user replaceable battery for the iPhone? A different, easy to open back cover would be needed, the original battery unsoldered and in it's place a battery compartment installed. I suppose that should be doable. My smartphone would be unusable without a secondary battery, and it has a somewhat similar battery life.

well once you have gone to all that trouble its probably cheaper and easier just to replace the battery and close it up again permanently, people don't normally need to replace the battery that often.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I'd love one for emergencies that matched the iphone silver black and was the same height and just plugged into the bottom keeping the same profile.

Maybe only 1 inch long. Even if only gave 3 more hours...

I hope everyone that whined about the lack of a swapple battery is now starting to wake up to the fact that there are other ways to charge the battery.

BTW. I bought the Power Jolt from Griffen. Works like a charm. Nice for when you are going to be out all day and want some form of back up power.

Plugs right into the cig adapter in your car.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
Its big and ugly and covers the iPhone's camera, No thanks.

Agreed, but the ability to re-charge the iPhone is interesting. I have used up the entire battery in less than one day on a few occasions. This might be worthwhile as an emergency charger, depending on how long it takes to charge the phone.

iMosaic

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
I dug out my Griffin TuneJuice to hook to my iPhone. It takes a 9 volt battery and gives the "not for iPhone warning" but shows the full charge icon on the iPhone. I'll let you know.:)

DaveLG526

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
California
Good Idea: iPhone = Web Terminal

I think many will acquire and use the iPhone as a PDA and Web Browser more than for a phone.

Although there a power user phone addicts email seems to be the preferred communication method for business users and text messaging is a hot amongst teenagers and the 20's set.

Mant users I have observed get a real charge out of the iPhones web browsiing capability over WiFi. The Edge service pretty much makes the browsing experience sub par but usable in a pinch. Used as a web browser in place of a laptop the iPhone can eat up the battery fast so this external battery product has a good chances to succeed in the market, The reasonable price will help too.

kollejboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
got one

i've had one of these for a bit now, and it's totally great. my mom and sis also have iphones and complain about the battery with web browsing being short, but this little sucker really fixed that for them too.

the whole company ZAP! is ridiculous and to me undervalued. if they actually come out with the zap-x concept car...it's going to change the auto industry. gm is already copying them and tesla with the volt. i just bought a crap ton of their stock, so i'm definitely biased btw.

but it does work flawlessly. it comes out of the cradle really easily so if youre worried about the camera thing chill out.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
i've had one of these for a bit now, and it's totally great. my mom and sis also have iphones and complain about the battery with web browsing being short, but this little sucker really fixed that for them too.

I really have to wonder what type of phones people had before the iPhone. I mean, yes, compared to my non web surfing, non music playing, Z525a flip phone the battery life is less than stellar but come on! I've only drained the battery once and recently went 2 days w/out plugging it in at all. So yeah, I really have no idea why people complain about battery life - I think it's great. Besides that I bought an AC adapter for my iPod back in the day so I've got an adapter at work, 1 at home, and 1 extra cord (that case with the iPod) to plug directly into my computer if need be. Oh, and I've got a Kensington all-in-one adapter that comes with and iPod jack that works both with an outlet and in the car or airplane. I just don't see what the big issue is - if you're in the car a lot drop the $10 and go buy an iPod adapter, if you're at work a lot just go buy another cable and/or AC adapter and change it there as well. You can't be actually using 24/7 can you? I just plug mine in at night... That and when I'm at work I turn off bluetooth and wi-fi 'cause I don't use either. I think that's probably the kicker - if you're not using those functions just turn them off. It's so easy!

Hunabku

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Turtle Island
How does it effect reception???

Well it is well know that if you hold your iPhone like any other phone the reception (bars) drop in many cases.

NOTE TO APPLE: Put the antennae on the top of the iphone instead of the bottom on future releases!!!!

So i wonder how this battery is going to effect reception?

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
My point was that people will spend more time with it doing browsing than talking.:D

I'm one of those, and just about everyone I know who bought the iPhone replaced their Palm devices with it and are using it for web browsing, appointments, messaging and a few phone calls here and there...

I always had an issue with Apple using the iPhone monicker (especially with the ridiculous lawsuit with Cisco). I thought iMobile made much more sense, as it is MORE than a phone. Remember, Jobs said "It's a browser, iPod, Phone... Browser, iPod, Phone..." You get the point... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.