Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:21 AM   #1
fedgirl
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Is there a cache/cookie cleaner on macs?

Is there a cache/cookie cleaner on macs? If so where?
fedgirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Mr. B
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Go to macupdate.com and download Onyx. It can do both of those things for you and is a very reliable bit of software.
Mr. B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:25 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
I concur. Period use keeps Teh Snappy™ in your Mac going.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Gandhi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TX
I tried to use Onyx, but it requires admin priviledges just to start up, and I normally do not run as admin. The alternative I found does the same job and is slicker, IMO.

http://www.santasw.com/
Gandhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:59 AM   #5
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
Personally don't care for Onyx.

You can go the cheap route:
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Empty Cache
- Click on the Empty button.
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Preferences
- Select the Security tab
- Press on the Show Cookies button.
- Decide to remove all or remove certain cookies.

Or the cheap and simple route:
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Reset Safari (Note, this deletes everything: Cache, Cookies, History, etc.)
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:08 AM   #6
66217
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
What I like about Onyx is the infinite things you can make with it. But if you don't need them, then the program you downloaded seems perfect for your needs.
66217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Sdao
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I tried to use Onyx, but it requires admin priviledges just to start up, and I normally do not run as admin. The alternative I found does the same job and is slicker, IMO.

http://www.santasw.com/
I use this program as well, its cool.
Sdao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:49 AM   #8
CalBoy
macrumors 601
 
CalBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Personally don't care for Onyx.

You can go the cheap route:
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Empty Cache
- Click on the Empty button.
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Preferences
- Select the Security tab
- Press on the Show Cookies button.
- Decide to remove all or remove certain cookies.

Or the cheap and simple route:
- Go to Safari menu
- Select Reset Safari (Note, this deletes everything: Cache, Cookies, History, etc.)
Thanks for that It really is very simple and easier than downloading a program.
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:51 AM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I too tried Onyx and just couldn't find myself using every feature. It was more about lack of understanding than anything for me. I tried it right when I got my mac and then just did the manual way of doing things as posted above.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:16 PM   #10
theman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I know with windows there are all sorts of "tweaking" "cleaning" and "optimizing" utilities. And, usually, all you end up doing is ****** up your computer because you deleted some essential OS files. (I have had a lot of experience with this, lol). Can this happen with a Mac using Onyx or something similar if you get a little bit too trigger happy and start deleting things left and right (things you have no idea what they are)?
theman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:52 PM   #11
iJawn108
macrumors 65816
 
iJawn108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
OnyX is great and is just a front end to features already build into OS X one of the better tools is resetting the spotlight index, which unless you are comfortable with terminal(it's not that hard honest) makes life easier.
__________________
Eagerly awaiting the new Mac Pro
iJawn108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:43 PM   #12
scokim
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJawn108 View Post
OnyX is great and is just a front end to features already build into OS X one of the better tools is resetting the spotlight index, which unless you are comfortable with terminal(it's not that hard honest) makes life easier.
can you please elaborate on how to do this ?
scokim is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: iTunes Error -42408 - First real solution gets cookie. Solved - Cookie Redeemed N10248 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 49 Jul 11, 2014 10:51 PM
Mavericks Cache Cleaner lammy1961 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 13 Feb 27, 2014 01:17 PM
2.6 Ghz with 6mb cache vs. 2.7 Ghz 8mb cache... worth $250 price difference? wmouazzen MacBook Pro 18 Apr 15, 2013 08:31 AM
ML Cookie Management... Fishrrman OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 5 Jan 20, 2013 10:19 AM
WD Internal 3.5-inch Caviar Green HDDs - 32MB cache vs 64MB cache ToTo Man Buying Tips and Advice 3 Sep 14, 2012 12:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC