Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 29, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1
SarahMac
macrumors newbie

new image for ibook

I just had a new hard drive installed in my iBook G4. I have all my info on an external drive. If I start up with a start up disc--supposedly the external is bootable, but someone else set it up and I don't know the user name and password. Anyway, if I start it up with a Mac OS X DVD, I can get to the disc utility. On that there is an icon called New Image. The tech guy at the Mac Exchange told me to make a new image rather than pull each file over individually. But, I don't know enough to feel confident about doing this. Does anyone know how this works? And does it matter that my old HD was a 60 G and this is an 80 G?

Long story but I don't want to go back to the tech guy unless I utterly have to--let's just say he'll charge top dollar.
SarahMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:15 PM   #2
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Startup the iBook by the startup DVD and you'll be able to reset the password to the computer. Using an Disk Image will allow that all files transfer with the proper permissions and other options. This is useful for transferring Applications, but for just documents it makes no difference really.

A bigger harddrive means you can get more stuff on it. Therefore a 60gig < 80gig. Not very complicated stuff on that one.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs