Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
krisbrock
macrumors newbie

Import dvd to itunes??

I am sure this is a seriously stupid question to most of you, but here it goes. Can you import a dvd/movie into iTunes, and if so how do you do it? I would simply like to put some movies on my iPod, but haven't managed it yet. I am a new mac user, if you couldn't already tell. Thanks.
krisbrock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 09:42 AM   #2
RumMunkey
macrumors 6502a

You can't do it within iTunes directly. You need another app of some sort to copy (rip) the DVD from your disc to your computer.

There are apps that can do this and give you an iPod/iTunes ready file in one step. I think most of us around here like "Handbrake".

Free, reliable, & runs really well on Mac (I hear the Windows release isn't stable).

Here are some poorly formatted instructions from the Handbrake site.
RumMunkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3
skybolt
macrumors 6502a

"Instant Handbrake" is a quicker, one-step process, no extra features -- just to rip for iPod. I use it often to put my grandsons DVD's on their iPods. One step, and it puts them in the Movies folder, so they are already where they need to be.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store