Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I'm curious... right now the rumor sites are saying that the next iPod is imminent - like, coming out within the next month or so. Okay - so let's assume, for the sake of this argument, that that's true. They are also saying that while the next iPod has a new OS, it is NOT touch screen, nor widescren. Okay so let's assume that's true as well.

So, given that the next iPod seems to be pretty different than the iPhone, and the iPhone was released before the next iPod, do you think Apple will still refer to the iPhone as the best iPod they've ever created after the new iPod is released?

This question is TOTALLY one of just playing w/ apple's words, but i'm curious what you guys think.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
This is one of the reasons I have been hoping the 6G is essentially an iPhone without the Phone or Internet capabilities. Marketing wise, Apple could call BOTH the best iPods ever because when they introduced the iPhone, they displayed it as 3 devices in 1. The new iPod could be equal to the iPhone in the iPod functionality, making both the "best iPods ever" because they'd have the same capabilities, even though the iPhone would have more features, obviously :eek:

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
This is one of the reasons I have been hoping the 6G is essentially an iPhone without the Phone or Internet capabilities. Marketing wise, Apple could call BOTH the best iPods ever because when they introduced the iPhone, they displayed it as 3 devices in 1.
EXACTLY - I was thinking the same thing - but if the new iPod is a completely different concept, like the rumor mill is saying, i'm just very curious how they'll spin it!

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
EXACTLY - I was thinking the same thing - but if the new iPod is a completely different concept, like the rumor mill is saying, i'm just very curious how they'll spin it!

I agree, especially since many people (including myself) would see the rumored click-wheel iPod update (shorter but 5th gen styling) as a step backwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.