Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Forgive my stupidity if it's already out there in plain sight, but I haven't seen this accomplished, and I wish to have this for myself.

I do not yet have an iPhone, but will soon. I'm also buying a new-to-me car, and the two need to make love.

Here is my dream: I sit down in the driver seat and mount my iphone on a dash-mounted... plug-in/stand/adapter thing. The adapter charges the iphone, and is connected directly to my sound system, so I access the iPod functionality and it plays over my sound system. Also, when a call comes in, the caller's voice plays over the stereo unless I have my bluetooth headset in/on, in which case of course everything goes through that for the call, then the music fades back in when I hang up over the sound system.

Tell me it's out there....

-Evan

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
powerjault_bl.jpg
+
cupholder.jpg
+
cassette-adapter-small.jpg

enjoy

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
<snip images>

enjoy

yeah...thats absolutely nothing at all like what he's looking for....

however,a solution for what you want doesnt' really exist because as soon as you plug in anything that uses the audio out and play controls from the dock connector it forces you to put the phone into airplane mode.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

Oooh! Do they make one for 8-track players? Seriously, who has cassette tape players anymore?

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
glad you guys caught on to my humor...:(

Sadly, it does have a tape player in the factory HU (also has a CD changer in trunk).

It's a 1997 BMW 528i 5speed premium package. I'd like to avoid the tape adapter if possible.

-Evan

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey
yeah...thats absolutely nothing at all like what he's looking for....

however,a solution for what you want doesnt' really exist because as soon as you plug in anything that uses the audio out and play controls from the dock connector it forces you to put the phone into airplane mode.

Not true. I have an oldschool car charger with line out that was used for my 4G iPod. Everytime it asks me if I want it in Airplane Mode, I just click "No", and it works just fine. Actually, it won't output any audio unless that screen comes up. I was annoyed at first, but I don't mind it so much.

iPhone doesn't force you to go into Airplane Mode; it asks you gently first. 'Nuff said.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
So, nothing?

-Evan

I know BMW is working on adding (/has already added) such functionality, but you're going to need to give the aftermarket companies a few months to get their **** together. It will happen, though. I can almost guarantee it.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Here is my dream: Tell me it's out there....

-Evan

Your scenario is exactly what I presently enjoy in my 2006 Volvo. (I had the dealership install the Bluetooth system and the hard-wired iPod system.)

As stated somewhere above, just ignore the Airplane mode message when it pops up. It all works fine. I understand that the OP is probably looking for a third party device or devices that will make his dream come true - but I would wonder what kind of car are you getting, and does the dealer / manufacturer offer such a scenario as an option?

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Maybe this will work. You will have to check for your specific vehicle but it may give you the functionality you want/need:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NbNwOV...p?g=305250&tab=essential_info&i=581PA11GM#Tab

That specified for GM vehicles, whereas I'm picking up a BMW... might have to do some custom wiring? The trick is finding something that connects the iphone's sound to the stereo without looking ghettorigged.

-Evan

And I'd like to use the iPhone interface to answer calls, navigate contacts and songs, and make selections. The sound just needs to come out the speakers.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
just get the nice new alpine...

that does bluetooth calling as well as full speed iPod interface...

Then get the little iPod snake/cigarette lighter thingy that holds it, or get a cup holder thingy that belkin makes.

sicasaire

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
BAKERSFIELD, CA
Just buy a honda element... My element has an auxilary audio input jack... So i plug my iphone directly into my cars audio system... It works beautifully....

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
that does bluetooth calling as well as full speed iPod interface...

Then get the little iPod snake/cigarette lighter thingy that holds it, or get a cup holder thingy that belkin makes.
I just can't mess up the interior with an aftermarket head unit - they all look too out-of-place on this particular car.

Just buy a honda element... My element has an auxilary audio input jack... So i plug my iphone directly into my cars audio system... It works beautifully....
I'll stick with the bimmer, thanks :apple:

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
sounds like you are more concerned with letting us know the fact that you "MAY BUY" a 11 year old BMW, rather than the fact that there are several viable options out there for what you asked.

guess what, you want your old deck to stay in the car.... then you may not get exactly what you want as far as integration.

get an aftermarket deck with ipod connectivity, or at least an aux in, and be done with it....

btw- you can EASILY add an aux in jack to just about any factory headunit, if you look hard enough (google) im sure you can find a how to.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
sounds like you are more concerned with letting us know the fact that you "MAY BUY" a 11 year old BMW, rather than the fact that there are several viable options out there for what you asked.

guess what, you want your old deck to stay in the car.... then you may not get exactly what you want as far as integration.

get an aftermarket deck with ipod connectivity, or at least an aux in, and be done with it....

btw- you can EASILY add an aux in jack to just about any factory headunit, if you look hard enough (google) im sure you can find a how to.

It's not "may buy" it's am buying - got it all arranged and whatnot. And I only brought it up again because someone referenced the particular vehicle. That, and I'm excited about it... so sue me...

They do make an adapter plate to fit aftermarket headunits in the dash, but if you saw it you'd agree it looks horrible :(

Perhaps simply finding an aux-in and having a charging pod that is hardwired to the car is my best bet?

-Evan

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
It's not "may buy" it's am buying - got it all arranged and whatnot. And I only brought it up again because someone referenced the particular vehicle. That, and I'm excited about it... so sue me...

They do make an adapter plate to fit aftermarket headunits in the dash, but if you saw it you'd agree it looks horrible :(

Perhaps simply finding an aux-in and having a charging pod that is hardwired to the car is my best bet?

-Evan

That sounds like the best option to me.

I have an after market stereo in my wrangler (had 2 stolen). I just found the cheapest one that had an aux input. Ran the wire out of the bottom of the dash straight into the audio output of my ipod car charger, can barely see it. Then I just hook my ipod up to the charger...charges it and just have one cable coming from bottom of the ipod. This also regulates the volume so I don't have passengers trying to turn the volume up using the ipod.

Only problem is, it doesn't work on my iPhone. I guess audio output through the ipod connector on the bottom is done differently. When I hook it up, it charges my iphone, but still plays music from the speaker on the phone.

You just need to make sure that your iPhone will work with the charger you get in regards to audio out.

Have fun with your Beamer! I've got a 5 speed '92 325. It's 15 years old, but would still take it over most new cars.

jellis

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
http://www.isimplesolutions.com/

I had this for my ipod and us it now with my iphone.

Charges hooks directly into factory radio and you are able to go track up and down.

It does give you the "not made for iphone" message but it works fine.

I highly recommend it.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Have fun with your Beamer! I've got a 5 speed '92 325. It's 15 years old, but would still take it over most new cars.
Awesome! The first BMW I ever rode in was that exact car - after my first ride in one, I swore I would own one some day. That was at age 18, and now at 21, I'm going to minneapolis to pick up my sixth one! I'll never go back :cool:

-Evan

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
That specified for GM vehicles, whereas I'm picking up a BMW... might have to do some custom wiring? The trick is finding something that connects the iphone's sound to the stereo without looking ghettorigged.

-Evan

And I'd like to use the iPhone interface to answer calls, navigate contacts and songs, and make selections. The sound just needs to come out the speakers.

This particular one is for GM vehicles. There are other models out there for other types of cars.

Try this one on for size... you just have to look a little....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7nstKTi7tWn/cgi-bin/tools/digitaldrivethru/solution.asp

Malakas07

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
I drive a 06 Acura.

They currently have HandsFree Bluetooth. Also has an AUX port.

I have my iPhone connected to the Griffin Charger and can talk over the bluetooth. I haven't bought a cable to hook it up to the AUX port.

But I will in the future. I'm sure it works flawlessly.

I let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.