Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Hi All

Like a lot of MP owners I keep my data separate from my system disk. One thing I haven't yet discovered how to do is to reprogram the icons in the finder window to the new locations. For instance, all my MP3's are on a disk Data II but when I click on the Music icon in finder it goes to the default location on the boot disk Macintosh HD

Stupid question I know... Cheers

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
simply create/move the folder to the new disk and make an alias to the new folder in the original location

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Hi All

Like a lot of MP owners I keep my data separate from my system disk. One thing I haven't yet discovered how to do is to reprogram the icons in the finder window to the new locations. For instance, all my MP3's are on a disk Data II but when I click on the Music icon in finder it goes to the default location on the boot disk Macintosh HD

Stupid question I know... Cheers

To create a shortcut of any folder in the sidebar of finder, just drag the folder to the sidebar.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Thanks for the answers chaps, I was hoping there was a simple system option somewhere rather than having to muck about with aliases and stuff. Seems like a omission on Apple's part to me.

Cheers

lcruisader

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
I'm working in the user profile folder. I want to relocate the folders: picture and documents folders. I want those 2 folders to originate else where (could be a file share or disk volume, etc). I can copy the 2 folders to the new location, but I cannot delete the original to place an alias in its place - I get an error "Pictures cannot be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac os X"

Any Ideas?

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I'm working in the user profile folder. I want to relocate the folders: picture and documents folders. I want those 2 folders to originate else where (could be a file share or disk volume, etc). I can copy the 2 folders to the new location, but I cannot delete the original to place an alias in its place - I get an error "Pictures cannot be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac os X"

Any Ideas?

Using leopard? I noticed the same thing.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
You can redirect your entire system folder in leopard in the systems prefs. But it has to be the entire thing not just a couple folders.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
That involves system preferences. The method I suggest doesn't work great for lots of files, but has served me well for my RAID setup.

pvr02

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Using an alias would be great, except that isn't allowed anymore in Leopard.

Anyone know how to do this via the terminal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.