Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Today, my mom tried to boat up her 333 MHz Blueberry iMac, nada. Won't even turn on. The only thing that you can hear is when you turn the control strip on to give the machine power, there is a little crackling noise. I have no idea what is wrong with it. Could it just be old age?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
My guess would be a bad power supply. For the record, tell her to stop turning the power strip on and off-- Really, it's 2003, there's no purpose for that... Just turn the devices off properly, rather than killing power... It's sure as hell not going to protect your equipment, and could be harmful. Put the Mac to sleep from now on, if it ever comes back to life...

Back to the point, there's really no way to test a bad power supply, rather than a) troubleshooting and b) using a power gauge. I suspect this will be a job you'll need to have a pro take a look at. Computers don't die of old age, or more specifically Macs-- whatever is wrong with it can certainly be repaired... the question is, at what price...

pnw

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The outlet strip may be bad. Shaking the rice krispies out of it may help :) Does anything else plugged into it come on?

"Old age"? In my living room there's an Apple IIe that works fine, and it's older than most MacRumors posters.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2002
New York
The control strip is only used to achieve more outlets for the speakers, SuperDisk drive, and printer. I will tell her to stop turning it on and off. But just putting it to sleep if it comes back isn't an option. It doesn't go to sleep as we know it; it just turns the monitor off.

It might just be a better idea to get an eMac. Or better yet give her my G4 so I can get a G5. :)

But I am not ready to give up on this thing yet. She has a lot of data on that thing and I don't want to have to open it and pull the HDD out. So my best bet is to go bring it to an Apple Store?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Now that hurts. Where does my 233MHz Bondi Blue iMac belong?

Freg, I would also suggest not to attempt internal repairs. All jokes aside, if you attempt internal repairs, or if you even make yourself feel like someone by opening up the machine, you could accidently touch a particular charge inside the machine. The current that flows out of it would electrocute you, or worse.

You could bring it to an Apple Store if you want. If you have AppleCare for that machine, you should be able to get free repairs. I strongly doubt you do, though. Don't be surprised if Apple slaps on a hefty 3-digit price tag for estimated repairs. :eek:

--

edit: My father has a still functioning Apple IIgs. Let's all meet in IRC one day. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.