Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Re: Interesting page on Intel's site

Originally posted by gopher
Is PCI Express the same as PCI-X?

No.
PCI-X is fully backward-compatible with PCI, so PCI-X cards can be plugged into PCI slots, and software written for PCI-X will work on PCI-equipped PCs. However, PCI-X cards will exchange data at PCI speeds when plugged into PCI slots.

PCI Express is software-compatible with PCI, but it represents a new direction for the hardware side of the technology, and PCI Express cards will not work in PCI slots. A PCI-to-PCI Express bridge, which would allow the Express cards to work in older slots, is in development by the Arapahoe Work Group, Yanes says. Because PCI-SIG does not own that development process, Yanes is unable to comment on a time frame for the bridge's release.

PCI Express is designed to be scalable and is a serial input/output technology. Serial I/O technology, which has been used in other industry standards such as Infiniband and Fibre Channel, allows data to be exchanged more reliably over longer distances, Yanes says.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,103089,00.asp

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
It remains to be seen which is better, PCI-X or PCI Express. Could be Apple choosing PCI-X for the new G5 PM could be the boost it needs, or could be that the trend of moving back towards server to terminal setups might benefit PCI Express (speed over distance).

flahiker

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2003
One thing to consider when wondering why Apple chose PCI-X is that IBM was one of (if not the) first companies to produce a PCI-X chip. My guess is that Apple is getting some favorable customer status with them.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
Originally posted by flahiker
One thing to consider when wondering why Apple chose PCI-X is that IBM was one of (if not the) first companies to produce a PCI-X chip. My guess is that Apple is getting some favorable customer status with them.
That is a very good reason if true. ;)

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
PCI-Express is MUCH better than PCI-X, it's just not backwards compatible.

PCI-X is just a souped-up PCI bus whereas PCI-Express is a substantial change in bus design. PCI-X has been around quite a while in workstation design.

PCI-Express will replace AGP slots and is the future of any external subsystems (RAID cards, Video and Audio hardware, etc..) It is the direction GPU makers are looking to at the moment.

In terms of cars, think of bus standards as this:

ISA = Geo Prism
EISA = Toyota Corolla
PCI = Porsche Boxster
PCI-X = Porsche Turbo
PCI-Express = Gulfstream 5 (and yes :D , I realize this isn't a car...)

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by legion
PCI-Express is MUCH better than PCI-X, it's just not backwards compatible.

PCI-X is just a souped-up PCI bus whereas PCI-Express is a substantial change in bus design. PCI-X has been around quite a while in workstation design.

PCI-Express will replace AGP slots and is the future of any external subsystems (RAID cards, Video and Audio hardware, etc..) It is the direction GPU makers are looking to at the moment.

In terms of cars, think of bus standards as this:

ISA = Geo Prism
EISA = Toyota Corolla
PCI = Porsche Boxster
PCI-X = Porsche Turbo
PCI-Express = Gulfstream 5 (and yes :D , I realize this isn't a car...)

Infinband is still better though. Eventually it comes time to move forward, and PCI has had its 15 minutes.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Pun wasn't intended but I realized it after-the-fact.

I don't know if SJ has a G5, he might because he used to have an apt in NY and would fly back and forth quite often (which he sold recently.)

My current boss has a G5 that he's let me use it a few times (4!) including a trip out to Vegas for my birthday. He used to have a G3 but his friend picked up a G5 and so he had to have one too. I talked to him once about owning a jet and he told me that the real expense is the downtime when it's not being used (and then he tried to convince me to get one too :rolleyes: -- what the rich do with their money...)

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
Originally posted by flahiker

Just got this in the ol' email:

Apple ads tout IBM Technology

Apple Computer recently launched a new advertising campaign for their latest product, the PowerMac G5, with a focus on the IBM technology found inside.

These two ads prominently feature IBM Technology Group's 64-bit processor and will appear in a variety of print publications.

"This new advertising campaign is exciting for us because we have a customer ó a partner ó who is thrilled to highlight our technology leadership in our 300mm automated chip making facility," said Rob Rohrer, manager of integrated marketing communications in TG. "The campaign will help to drive home the message that on demand begins with technology and builds upon strongly integrated business processes. This is truly a great story for both companies!"

Read more at:_http://w3-3.ibm.com/technology/news/2003/0722-ads.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.