Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobobo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Shalom

I will be getting an iMac for my job in Hong Kong in a few weeks (I will own the iMac once I am finished). I would like to take it back to Israel with me as it is mine. I have checked Hong Kong Post and they don't offer insurance for postage to Israel (but do offer express and extra large parcels). I would be flying with El Al back to Israel on the new 777 El Al planes.

I read in the archives that people prefer to take the iMac as carry on. I don't think this is practical as the iMac is likely to fall on someone unless you are first one on board and last one off and have someone to help you. I am not so strong to lift such a heavy item and put it in the overhead (haven't done army service :( - will be doing it next year). I think I am restricted from bring such an item on board (see below).

So I am wondering: Is it possible to put the iMac securely back into the box after using it? Is the box suitable for check in transport or do I need something like the ilugger?

How big is the box for the 20"? And the 24"? Does anyone suggest putting my clothes in space bags and putting the iMac box/ilugger in my suite case with extra bubble wrap for both the safety of the iMac and so it doesn't get stolen? (Assuming it fits.)

I haven't decided if I will get a 20" or 24" yet.

El Al carry on restrictions are:
56 (length) 45 (width) 25 (depth) cm
Or
22 (length) 18 (width) 10 (depth) inches
One piece of hand luggage weighing up to 8 kg (17pounds).

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
The iMacs are not that heavy, but looking at your flight restrictions, it looks like you are barred from carrying it on the plane.

I carried my iMac on the plane once. Took the foot (stand) off and just stuffed it in a large laptop bag. However I was flying business class so I just left the bag on the floor in front of me, leaning against the seat in front of me.

Not sure about the size restrictions but the weight restrictions definitely bar you from carrying it on the plane. Even the 17" iMac is about 20 pounds I believe (however, this is for the old G5 iMacs... I'm not sure about the new ones... check Apple's website).

Your best bet might be to ship the thing. Or package it very securely and ask the airline ahead of time that it be handled with care.

Or.. request that you be allowed to carry it online, but you won't put it overhead. Give it to one of the flight attendants and they might be able to stow it away safely in the crews' lounge.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Is it possible to put the iMac securely back into the box after using it? Is the box suitable for check in transport or do I need something like the ilugger?
Yes. You can easily put the iMac back into the box as it came.

I would assume the box is suitable for check-in as my own 20" iMac was shipped in only it's once-beautiful white box. It was scratched up and dirtied by the time I got it. :p So I'd imagine it'd be safe for you to check it in. :)

El Al carry on restrictions are:
One piece of hand luggage weighing up to 8 kg (17pounds).
Something tells me that the iMac would weigh more than that. So carry-on does not seem like the best idea.

bobobo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
The iMacs are not that heavy, but looking at your flight restrictions, it looks like you are barred from carrying it on the plane.
Are the weights on Apple's website for the iMac in the box or by itself? How heavy do you think the stand is? Because I think I would be able to get away with 10kg.

I carried my iMac on the plane once. Took the foot (stand) off and just stuffed it in a large laptop bag. However I was flying business class so I just left the bag on the floor in front of me, leaning against the seat in front of me.
What size iMac?

Not sure about the size restrictions but the weight restrictions definitely bar you from carrying it on the plane. Even the 17" iMac is about 20 pounds I believe (however, this is for the old G5 iMacs... I'm not sure about the new ones... check Apple's website).

The Apple website says 15.5 pounds for the 17" but I don't know if that is for the iMac, iMac + accessories, or the whole box.

Your best bet might be to ship the thing. Or package it very securely and ask the airline ahead of time that it be handled with care.
I would but HKP don't offer insurance to Israel!

bobobo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I would assume the box is suitable for check-in as my own 20" iMac was shipped in only it's once-beautiful white box. It was scratched up and dirtied by the time I got it. :p So I'd imagine it'd be safe for you to check it in. :)

They do very weird things with checked in luggage like toss it, drop it, etc. Most of it is done by those pesky belts.

If anyone can tell me how big the boxes are then I could see if it fits in my suite case.

Thank you for you insightful replies.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
I really don't believe that you're going to get away with taking it on board. An international flight I was on a few years ago I took a backapck with me. I went through passport control and was getting my bag X-Rayed. The guy told me that it weighed over the 7kg limit and I had to go out of airport security, run to check in and check it in. I wouldn't risk taking it in hand luggage.

bobobo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I am going to get the new 20" iMac.

It weighs 20 pounds or 9.1KG.

I am wondering is this the box or the actual iMac without the keyboard and so on?

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
I tried last year to take iMac 20" as a carry on but after 10 or 15 minutes discussion they told me to chek it in. It was in original box and the flight was from St,Louis to Poland via CChicago and Frankfurt. It got there OK though box was seriously abused :D

jota73

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2006
South America
what I did whas to order my iMac 17" online. They packed the white box in another box. I flew in an international flight with AA (Miami- Colombia) and checked the box as heavy luggage.
It arrived perfectly, no scratches or bumps... Is the best way, keep it safe in its original box.

ricardofay

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
up.

Does anyone ever carry on the 24'' Imac in the airplane?
I want to buy an Imac and then fly to Brazil..

outbackvandy

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
You can carry on a 20" if the plane is big enough

You can carry on a 20" if the plane (Boeing 777, 747 ...) is big enough.
Check out this picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wangyun/2300302645/
I bought an 20" iMac for my folks and didn't know whether it will fit to travel internationally or not. So we went to BNA airport to try it in the sample carry on bin. It fits perfectly. Hope this pic will clear out all the questions about the size of the box.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You can carry on a 20" if the plane (Boeing 777, 747 ...) is big enough.
Check out this picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wangyun/2300302645/
I bought an 20" iMac for my folks and didn't know whether it will fit to travel internationally or not. So we went to BNA airport to try it in the sample carry on bin. It fits perfectly. Hope this pic will clear out all the questions about the size of the box.

It's suppose to fit WITHIN the metal frame. Thus the iMac box is 40% larger than allowed size.

Depends on where you go, in the US they are slightly slack, but in Europe they are extremely strict about it.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Wow, ive never had my carry on weighed when flying domestic and international. :eek:

Anyway, couldnt u just stick it in a carry on, assuming they wont care if it weighs too much? I seriously wouldnt ever even consider checking in a computer. You know how bad luggage is treated? The toss them like a basketball, i swear :eek:

Also, i would put the imac box in another box. I wouldnt want anyone to know what is in there :cool: iMacs are too cool for normal people. They cant handle it.

Ringu

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2005
just check it in it's original box and inform the staff at the check-in that it's fragile. They will mark it as such and it will be handled with care. Just make sure you have insurance, as many things 'go missing' at airports.

You may want to wrap the box in order to make it less immediately attractive to thieving *****

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
i would suggest the following:

use the original box it came in. Buy a larger box and put the mac in it make sure that the box has extra space so that you can put in foam or packing peanuts/paper. Anything that can absorb any hits / drops.

Check in the box and let them know it is fragile. Get on the plane and pray =)

xstux

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I successfully travelled with my new 20" imac by taking it on as hand luggage. I put it in a jute shopping bag with a little padding and it went through with no problems.

This was with Easyjet. Most airlines now state that the maximum size is when the total of all three dimensions (height, width and depth) are equal to or lower than 115cm. The 20" imac is 47cm + 49cm + 19cm, miraculously that adds up to 115cm. Although it does weigh 9kg which could be a problem on some airlines, although I've never had my hand luggage weighed before.

I'll be travelling with mine again next month and I'm considering one of these http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1358.html

blahblah1

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
I successfully travelled with my new 20" imac by taking it on as hand luggage. I put it in a jute shopping bag with a little padding and it went through with no problems.

Good to hear you have done this successfully, as I'll be trying the same thing in a couple months on an international flight. Does the 20" iMac easily fit through the security scanner?

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
i am not sure which one you got, but the 24" iMac box is huge. also, they may not be that heavy, but they arent heavy to go from the shop to the car. carrying through an airport is a bit risky, also with the recent going-ons they might suspect it could be something dangerous.

personally i would ask if you could either put it in special place below deck (like where golf clubs and pets are kept), and if they dont offer that service then you will need to carry it on board, but ask to put it in the pilot cabin. although they will want to look through the whole thing first.

blahblah1

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
I have the 20" iMac, but to keep the size down I'll wrap it in bubble-wrap and put it in a bag, not the box. I already have permission from the airline to bring it as carry on luggage, so I guess it will be okay. I still don't think I'll sleep much during the flight!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.