Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Page 2'd because:

- Not really that much new info. Basically similar to previous rumors floating around. Some claims of crazy performance, but hard to pin down.

- MacBidouille has been inconsistent.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: wait.. I am confused...

Originally posted by Exlaxxboy
is the Power PC 970 the same thing as the Power5 and are they the same as the G5? :confused:

no, 970 is based on the Power 4 and the Power 5 is the successor to the Power 4... :D 980 is based on Power 5 apparently.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The PowerPC 970 = G5
PowerPC 970 is based on the Power4 processor.

Power5 is the next chip after the Power4.
There is a rumored chip called the PowerPC 980 which is based on the Power5.

arn

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I don't know...I remember when the G4 first came out there were rumors that Motorola was aggressively in works with the G5 that would be out a year later and be four times more powerful with multiple cores, etc. It's been a few years and Motorola, well, all I can do is shake my head in disappointment. I know IBM seems to be much more reliable and capable, but these rumors just to be deja vu all over again.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Don't you have to have a Power5 first, before you can have the 980?

Which came first, the Power5 or the 980...

If Macbioudulle (or whatever the heck they are) is right, we may never know...

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by G4scott
Don't you have to have a Power5 first, before you can have the 980?

Which came first, the Power5 or the 980...

If Macbioudulle (or whatever the heck they are) is right, we may never know...

I think I read somewhere that the 980 was developed simultaneously with the POWER 5 unlike the Power4.

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing the G6 pretty quick. IBM is kicking ass and they want to keep up the momentum. The new facility that they have makes it easy, for them at least, to make new chips asap =D

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Can't believe it.

It's amazing that people are already looking for the G6 when the G5 hasn't even hit the shelves yet.... I guess we can come back to this topic when it's relevant in 2-3 years.

:rolleyes:

utilizer

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
In Atlanta!
Even better news for my situation

I'd say the best thing for me to do is to get the revision B of the 17 in. PowerBook (PLEASE, make it duals Apple!), then a dual G5 XServe, and finally, a G6 workstation, but I'll definitely get one if they do indeed reach 3 Ghz by mid-2004.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Freg3000
If the Power 5 is only going to be presented this October and available next year (as per the Page 1 story), it seems as though the G6 will be a few years off. I think that the G5 will scale past 3 GHz by in the second half of 2004, and then the G6 could introduced maybe at WWDC 2005. Then again, the 980 is vaporware as of now, and there really isn't an firm evidence confirming its development (although a derivative chip seems highly logical).

And just a friendly suggestion, Arn. The last few days there have been a lot of Page 2 stories, and in about all of them there is a question asking, "why is this Page 2 Arn?" Maybe it would be possible to clarify why the story was put on page 2 right beside or underneath the actual story itself, so people aren't trying to figure out why you made your choice as to how reliable the source was.

Leave arn alone. he does a great job.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
When introducing the Power Mac G5 Apple did a video featuring Ive, Schiller and some chap from IBM amongst other people. He claimed that the new factory (Fishkill) was the most advanced of its kind and that they are already working on the next generation PowerPC chip. Wether he refers to the G5 replacement (G6) or the next generation G5 I don´t know, but it sure seems they´ve got great momentum!

It makes my tummy tickle.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I, also, recall reading that the PPC980 was being developed in parallel with the Power5. So, having a G6 by next year is not inconceivable. And, it would start the PPC chips back onto their march to being the best desktop chip available.

However, all of that being said, I'd find it much more likely that the G6 will be announced more like eighteen months later. Like, around Christmas '04, or Jan '05. 'Til then, I think the new G5s are fine looking machines...

(I only wish that I could justify buying one...)

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Hold off buying that G5 PowerMac

That does it. Why buy a G5 PowerMac when we have the G6 PowerMac to look forward to?

Just kidding. It looks like the days of GHz envy are over.

If the 980 goes into Xserves and PowerMacs then chances are 970s will go into iMacs and eMacs.

With Apple sticking to dual-processor designs why don't they request from IBM a G6 with a dual core CPU? I am sure the cost of such a thing would be less than the purchase of two CPUs per PowerMac and the speed improvement would be felt across the entire line. Then again, maybe I am underestimating the effectiveness of a single CPU G5 PowerMac. If only I could see one with my own eyes...

loicl

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
france (orsay)
for sure

I dont think the story of apple would stop with the G5. It's natural for them to prepare an after G5 since like all processors the G5 wont improve for the rest of the time. Be sure that there will be something else after. That s the law.

Remember what engeneer learn in school "it takes minimal two years of work to integrate a new idea" so it's normal for apple to "work" on it. It will be serious enough when you ll will read "apple is planning to release or G6 prototype are up"

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Ok, what about the rumors of G5 delays due to production problems? If they are having issues rolling out the G5 in quantity (rumor, not fact) then how the hell could the G6 be even close to being released next year? Sure, they might be "working" on it but shipping next year - doubt it.

I hope I am wrong but wow, only a year to ship out G5's to get a good ROI?

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
During the WWDC keynote both Apple and IBM were very optimistic. Jobs claimed 3 GHz within 12 months, and IBM said they have a roadmap that would knock your socks off. Also in the promo video for the G5, IBM is claiming to already have prototypes of the next generation PPC, probably what will be called the G6 by Apple.

Motorolla had a G5 prepared for production, but they never got it out the door. They failed miserably, and that's what we all have been complaining about tor the last two to three years.

I have more faith in IBM to deliver the goods.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Where's the news?

Even Steve Jobs and Dr.IBM vice president announced 3 Ghz Processors and the next generaton on the WWDC within 12 month of of the G5.
Now - the G5 is not beeing delivered yet - so that 's another 12 Month+ delay

According to Murphy, we should be getting 4 GHZ Machines in only 18 Month - so there's nothing notable in this 'rumour'

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
MacB is inconsistent??

NO WAY!!!

The dudes were DEAD ON about the G5!

Not exactly, from the WWDC Wrapup
Subsequent rumors, however, were ambitious with claims that low-end (1.4 GHz) 970-based PowerMacs were rolling off assembly lines in May 2003, and implied immediate availability of the 970-based PowerMacs at WWDC. This information turned out to be incorrect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.