Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Aug 2, 2007, 09:48 AM   #1
princealfie
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to princealfie
How do you split up a photo into pieces?

I am interested in "cutting" a photo into 2 x 3 or 5 x 4 pieces so that the pieces are rectangles of equal size.

What program is best for this? Photoshop doesn't seem to make this easy.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2
tobefirst
macrumors 68030

What are you going to be doing with the pieces after you cut them? Are they just going to be printed, or made into a wallpaper, or what?

If you are printing them out, it might be easiest to use a page layout program like ID or Quark.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:52 AM   #3
atari1356
macrumors 68000

Open your image in photoshop, then go to the "view" menu and select "Rulers" (unless it's already checked).

Then click and hold on the left ruler on the left side, and drag to the center of the image... this will create a guide line. (if you have "View > Snap To > Document Bounds" selected, the guide line will easily snap to the center when you get close to it)

Then do the same from the top ruler to drag a second guide line to the center.

Now use the select tool (what photoshop calls the "Rectangular Marquee Tool") and click/drag from one corner of the image to the center... it should snap to the guides you just created.

Then simply copy and paste the part you selected into a new image... and do the same for the other three parts of the image.
atari1356 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:35 AM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by princealfie View Post
I am interested in "cutting" a photo into 2 x 3 or 5 x 4 pieces
Even the most primitive of photo editing tools (iPhoto) allow you to crop. Duplicate the photo then from each crop out all put the part you want to keep. Or in PS or Gimp just select a part you like and "cut" it and "Paste" it to a new blank canvas.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
princealfie
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to princealfie
Cool but I was looking for something more automatic... feeding a photo and it spits out the separate tif files.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Why don't you use the Slices tool in PhotoShop?

Slices will also be saved with a .psd for convenience. Works a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princealfie View Post
Cool but I was looking for something more automatic... feeding a photo and it spits out the separate tif files.
Lone Deranger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:04 PM   #7
revenuee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Deranger View Post
Why don't you use the Slices tool in PhotoShop?

Slices will also be saved with a .psd for convenience. Works a treat.
really?

cause i've been using Imageready and it's always .gif <-- mind you i only slice once in a while when i have to do an HTML project

good to know
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:08 PM   #8
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Yep... when you're done slicing, you Choose Save to Web which will give you the option of saving as a jpeg, png and bmp (as well as a gif). No tif's unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenuee View Post
really?

cause i've been using Imageready and it's always .gif <-- mind you i only slice once in a while when i have to do an HTML project

good to know
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:37 PM   #9
atari1356
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Deranger View Post
Yep... when you're done slicing, you Choose Save to Web which will give you the option of saving as a jpeg, png and bmp (as well as a gif). No tif's unfortunately.
I can't get that to work in Photoshop CS2 - it only ever outputs .GIF files. Are you using CS3 perhaps?
atari1356 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 03:06 PM   #10
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

I am actually... Don't have CS2 on my MP here. I've got CS2 & 3 at work and will check if indeed it's that when I get back to the studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari1356 View Post
I can't get that to work in Photoshop CS2 - it only ever outputs .GIF files. Are you using CS3 perhaps?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:28 PM   #11
pdxflint
macrumors 68020

I only have an old version of Fireworks (2004MX) but even prior versions sliced and diced images with ease, including generating the html to reassemble them on a web page seamlessly. Obviously this was to allow various levels of compression, etc on each slice separately, depending on what was desired for web optimization. I haven't tried to see if .tifs are possible with slices - probably not since it's generally a tool for web page optimization. But... 100% .jpg ain't bad..

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography