Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Good Question
macrumors newbie

Internet connection- Repair?

I'm back again with some more very newbie questions.

My cousin's running into another problem with her Mac.

She can't connect to the network on her Mac but I can on my Windows.
We're not sure what to do to fix it.

Any ideas and detailed instructions on how to do it before my mom or my cousin break the Mac completely?
Good Question is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Makosuke
macrumors 603

I think you're going to have to give a little more information than that to get any suggestions. "Can't connect to network" is a little like saying "my car won't start"--hard to tell where to start.

What router/switch/wireless base station are you using? What's the basic layout of the network--wireless with a single base station/modem combo, internet sharing through the PC, wired, etc? If it's an internet connection problem rather than computer-to-computer, what kind of modem? If the internet works but you can't see the other computers on the network, how are you trying to access them?

There are a LOT of FAQs around for this general sort of thing, but usually the first things to check are if the correct internet connection is enabled (in the Preferences), that you have it set to DHCP (if that's what is necessary) or the correct manual IP address or PPPoE information if it's a direct-to-modem connection, and also just make sure everything is actually plugged in with good cables (wired) or that you have the correct password/network name (wireless).
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help