Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2001
Hi there guys.
I got a nice quistion (wich I hope you guys can (partly) answer.
Ok here goes. I own an imac 400 Dv se with 256 MB 13 GIG and running os9 and osx 10.2.6
Everything about the mac worked fine until 1 day the speakers stopped working.I thought that was rather strange but I just got my headphones out and plugged those in
But after a while the signal coming through the headphones got less and less. If you bumped the connector it would work for a few mins but after that - silence. So the sound part on my imac is officialy dead.
I thought maybe a short circuit somewhere? Would it help if I replace the little logic board behind the front headphones connectors?
When I start it up I can hear a few very soft clicks through the speakers.
Is there another part of the main board dedicated to sound?
Thanks if any1 has some great ideas about getting my mac working with sound again!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Does the line-out on the side work? because you could get a set of speakers that have a headphone jack on them... i think some do anyway. It would solve both your probs...

pnw

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2001
I believe I tried that. And I thought it didnt work.
(the Imac is not at my house now because some1 is helping me with changing the HD in there to a 40 gig)
Ill go there in a few hours and try if the sound output is working.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I have the same computer as you. Honestly, I don't know what the problem is, but I do know mine makes those soft clicks at startup. The internal speakers make them regardless of whether I have speakers or headphones hooked up to it. I believe its a sound initializer performing a check, since it happens at startup. So, if its making the sounds, I'd assume things aren't too bad. I dont know what it would be, but I think it might be a simple fix. Maybe take it to an apple store. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.