Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jul 30, 2003, 07:45 AM   #1
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Feds warn about more suicide hijackings!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/07/29/air...ing/index.html

Great, huh? I'd have to wonder how they plan to do that on the East Coast of the US though....

"The hijackers may try to calm passengers and make them believe they are on a hostage, not suicide, mission," it reads.

I'll be flying a couple times in the next couple months. If anyone tries something on one of my flights, I'll resist, organize resistance and try and stop them.

I wonder if all the doors to the cockpits have been upgraded yet?

D
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:05 AM   #2
iJon
macrumors 604

no kidding, chances are with airport security now they wont have any weapons that do much harm, but im sure we thought that last time so we can take no chances. i wonder fi they are still putting us marshall's undercover on big flights. if they dont i bet they start it back up again based on what intel they have.

iJon
iJon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:32 AM   #3
wdlove
macrumors 604

My understanding is that Al Qaeda members are currently studying weaknesses. For the most part we still have the same screeners that we had pre 9/11. The only real difference is that they have a federal badge. Our only hope is that intelligence can stay one step ahead of them. They process has worked well for almost 2 years.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:42 AM   #4
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by wdlove
My understanding is that Al Qaeda members are currently studying weaknesses. For the most part we still have the same screeners that we had pre 9/11. The only real difference is that they have a federal badge. Our only hope is that intelligence can stay one step ahead of them. They process has worked well for almost 2 years.
they havent gotten way more stricter. althought it is annoying i thank them for it because of my safety. not to long ago i took a one way ticket to dallas becauase i was riding back with a friend. they saw that i had a 1 way ticket and put a big orange sticker on my suitcase. after i went through the metal detector they took me and sat me down. they took my shoes, my bag, my suitcase. the did the metal wand thing over my body and they took my belt. they opened my suitcase and looked through everything. then they took my bag and opened it and made me make a sound from the ipod. hell i was just glad i didnt take my isight on that trip, they would have though it was a gunscope. i remember when i used to fly when i was younger and it was never like this.

iJon
iJon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:22 AM   #5
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816

good idea, tsa

Quote:
The Transportation Security Administration wants to reduce the number of air marshals to save money, even as the government is warning about the possibility al-Qaida may try more suicide hijackings.
I think this is a good idea...especially since I will be making several trips from Boston to DC between now and the end of the summer...

http://www.optonline.net/News/Articl...icle%3D8743361
Ambrose Chapel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:37 AM   #6
GeeYouEye
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to GeeYouEye Send a message via Yahoo to GeeYouEye
Fortunately, JetBlue (the airline I fly if I can... way cheaper than anything except Southwest on occasion) has all of their cockpit doors upgraded already.
Like politics, free speech, computers, entertainment, and more? Join us at Wordforge.net
GeeYouEye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 02:44 PM   #7
Moxiemike
Banned

good to see all of the $$$$ we've spent on war and homeland security and smoking saddam out of his hole and burying bin laden, etc etc etc have REALLY worked.

I guess we'll know soon.....

I might have to BOAT to europe when i renounce my citizenship.
Moxiemike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 03:13 PM   #8
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I might have to BOAT to europe when i renounce my citizenship
Hey there's always Canada

There was an article in the Boston Globe recently about a fair number of Americans moving to Canada - as the US has moved much more towards the right and Canada has been expanding social reforms, they decided to become expats.
Ambrose Chapel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 03:19 PM   #9
caveman_uk

Is there a report or piece of news coming out today the administration wanted burying? Blair's lot use this terror alert trick. A couple of months ago there was a critical parliamentary report coming out and surprise surprise the head of the security services chose THAT day to mention that terrorists still exist - No NEW info. Just a they're still there message. Still got Blair off the front page of the evening standard...
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 05:11 PM   #10
e-coli
macrumors 68000

My guess is this:

Bush's approval rating is tanking due to the fact he lied repeatedly to get his little war with Iraq, and the economy still sucks.

So he needs a new crisis to keep us all afraid and unsteady. It's the Republican way; rule by fear.

This is all a diversion tactic.
e-coli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 06:56 PM   #11
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by e-coli
My guess is this:

Bush's approval rating is tanking due to the fact he lied repeatedly to get his little war with Iraq, and the economy still sucks.

So he needs a new crisis to keep us all afraid and unsteady. It's the Republican way; rule by fear.

Have you forgotton 9/11 already? Scare tatics are part and parcel of the Democrat montra. "Without government how can we survive?"
Old Jul 30, 2003, 07:39 PM   #12
thebossisback

Im going to Michigan next week and if anybody tries to hijack the plane, ill whack em over the head with my trusty 500mhz white iBook!
thebossisback is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 08:41 PM   #13
G4scott
macrumors 68020

I don't think anybody in the US would sit still if their plane was hijacked. They would definitely do something, even if they were told they were just being held hostage.

You'd have to be insane to hijack a flight these days, unless there's hardly anyone on it (which I doubt happens in large cities, since the airlines can't afford for flights not to be full), or it was a cargo plane, which could be even worse, because many international cargo flights come in on big 747's, and I don't even want to think of what terrorists could do with those...
Old Jul 30, 2003, 09:55 PM   #14
macfan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by G4scott
I don't think anybody in the US would sit still if their plane was hijacked. They would definitely do something, even if they were told they were just being held hostage.

You'd have to be insane to hijack a flight these days, unless there's hardly anyone on it (which I doubt happens in large cities, since the airlines can't afford for flights not to be full), or it was a cargo plane, which could be even worse, because many international cargo flights come in on big 747's, and I don't even want to think of what terrorists could do with those...
Yep. I see the danger as being stealing a plane, maybe a cargo plane, rather then hijacking one. I know that whenever I fly, there will be no suicide mission that is carried out as long as I am able to breathe. Post 9/11, every passenger is a de facto air marshall.
macfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:05 AM   #15
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Quote:
My guess is this:

amen. support for the war is dogging, we keep invading countries with nothing to fire us up but a 2-year old tragedy which they've overstimulated us with. 'Bout time for something else to happen, i'd say... Reichstag burns anew...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:44 AM   #16
filmcutter
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to filmcutter
Quote:
Originally posted by paulwhannel
amen. support for the war is dogging, we keep invading countries with nothing to fire us up but a 2-year old tragedy which they've overstimulated us with. 'Bout time for something else to happen, i'd say... Reichstag burns anew...

pnw
As put so eloquently on Buzzflash :

"Whenever Bush is on the Ropes for Lying and Incompetence, He Starts Up with the "Terrorist Alerts." It's a Proven Pattern. The Man is Not to be Trusted as Far as a Dead Dog Can Spit."
filmcutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:59 AM   #17
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
My guess is this:

perfectly put.

btw, I think "air marshals" on planes is a very bad idea. Even if they are in disguise, I really don't like the idea of *anyone* having a gun on a plane.
how about this: 2 terrorists get up, and the air marshal gets up to stop them... then the three other terrorists on the plane see who he is, grab him from behind, and now they have a gun. Didn't even have to smuggle it on - the government did it for them!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:59 AM   #18
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
Originally posted by wdlove
Have you forgotton 9/11 already? Scare tatics are part and parcel of the Democrat montra. "Without government how can we survive?"
Without Constant Fear how can the economy Grow like it is right now?

:watches as Bush injects fear into the american public:

'New' Ari -- Sir the People aren't responding
Bush -- Okay, go to code RED [dramatic 'da-da-da' music]
News report later that day: As Bush increased the terror level millions of people bought Duck Tape to safeguard their homes from terriosts.

That will show them!

Well lets see the new security measures and see if they worked or not.

Lets hope this is something the administration *wasn't* cheap on.

I don't want to see another horror show.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 01:13 AM   #19
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
Quote:
My guess is this:

bush's case for war was not entirely based on the 'lies'
tazo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 01:52 AM   #20
whfsdude
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to whfsdude Send a message via Skype™ to whfsdude
They spend money to stop this and that. They buy radiation detectors for the Washington Metro System, but they donít make the fire extinguishers. I just got bored and started asking people on the train if they knew where the fire extinguishers were. No one who I asked knew. (I know because I hit them with my foot once. They are at the end of the car by the door but not the drivers door the other door. You canít see them at all without sticking your head under there.) So anyway, I just think it is ironic how the government is so worried about nuclear attacks and yet they donít think to mark the fire extinguishers. What if a guy walked in the train with a water bottle filled with gas? He could kill 500-800 people in 14 mins and walk away.

Kind of off topic, just trying to make a point.
whfsdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 06:32 AM   #21
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

I don't see how anyone could justify taking stand on this as being acceptible, regardless of the costs. I mean, it's enough of they have to warn of potential problems...shows they know something.
eyelikeart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 05:55 PM   #22
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Quote:
Originally posted by QCassidy352
perfectly put.

btw, I think "air marshals" on planes is a very bad idea. Even if they are in disguise, I really don't like the idea of *anyone* having a gun on a plane.
how about this: 2 terrorists get up, and the air marshal gets up to stop them... then the three other terrorists on the plane see who he is, grab him from behind, and now they have a gun. Didn't even have to smuggle it on - the government did it for them!
Unfortunately it doesn't really matter one way or the other whether there are marshalls on the plane... If the administration pays for another terrorist attack, they'll have one.

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 06:32 PM   #23
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
Quote:
Originally posted by thebossisback
Im going to Michigan next week and if anybody tries to hijack the plane, ill whack em over the head with my trusty 500mhz white iBook!
News Flash: A Terroist plot was foiled today by a smart passenger wielding his Apple iBooks as a bat. The passenger subdued three terrorists by hitting them over the head, they were then tied to their chairs by angry passengers.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events