Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/07/29/airline.warning/index.html

Great, huh? I'd have to wonder how they plan to do that on the East Coast of the US though....

"The hijackers may try to calm passengers and make them believe they are on a hostage, not suicide, mission," it reads.

I'll be flying a couple times in the next couple months. If anyone tries something on one of my flights, I'll resist, organize resistance and try and stop them.

I wonder if all the doors to the cockpits have been upgraded yet?

D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
no kidding, chances are with airport security now they wont have any weapons that do much harm, but im sure we thought that last time so we can take no chances. i wonder fi they are still putting us marshall's undercover on big flights. if they dont i bet they start it back up again based on what intel they have.

iJon

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My understanding is that Al Qaeda members are currently studying weaknesses. For the most part we still have the same screeners that we had pre 9/11. The only real difference is that they have a federal badge. Our only hope is that intelligence can stay one step ahead of them. They process has worked well for almost 2 years.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by wdlove
My understanding is that Al Qaeda members are currently studying weaknesses. For the most part we still have the same screeners that we had pre 9/11. The only real difference is that they have a federal badge. Our only hope is that intelligence can stay one step ahead of them. They process has worked well for almost 2 years.
they havent gotten way more stricter. althought it is annoying i thank them for it because of my safety. not to long ago i took a one way ticket to dallas becauase i was riding back with a friend. they saw that i had a 1 way ticket and put a big orange sticker on my suitcase. after i went through the metal detector they took me and sat me down. they took my shoes, my bag, my suitcase. the did the metal wand thing over my body and they took my belt. they opened my suitcase and looked through everything. then they took my bag and opened it and made me make a sound from the ipod. hell i was just glad i didnt take my isight on that trip, they would have though it was a gunscope. i remember when i used to fly when i was younger and it was never like this.

iJon

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Fortunately, JetBlue (the airline I fly if I can... way cheaper than anything except Southwest on occasion) has all of their cockpit doors upgraded already.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
good to see all of the $$$$ we've spent on war and homeland security and smoking saddam out of his hole and burying bin laden, etc etc etc have REALLY worked.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I guess we'll know soon.....

I might have to BOAT to europe when i renounce my citizenship. ;)

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I might have to BOAT to europe when i renounce my citizenship

Hey there's always Canada ;)

There was an article in the Boston Globe recently about a fair number of Americans moving to Canada - as the US has moved much more towards the right and Canada has been expanding social reforms, they decided to become expats.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Is there a report or piece of news coming out today the administration wanted burying? Blair's lot use this terror alert trick. A couple of months ago there was a critical parliamentary report coming out and surprise surprise the head of the security services chose THAT day to mention that terrorists still exist - No NEW info. Just a they're still there message. Still got Blair off the front page of the evening standard...:rolleyes:

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
My guess is this:

Bush's approval rating is tanking due to the fact he lied repeatedly to get his little war with Iraq, and the economy still sucks.

So he needs a new crisis to keep us all afraid and unsteady. It's the Republican way; rule by fear. :rolleyes:

This is all a diversion tactic.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by e-coli
My guess is this:

Bush's approval rating is tanking due to the fact he lied repeatedly to get his little war with Iraq, and the economy still sucks.

So he needs a new crisis to keep us all afraid and unsteady. It's the Republican way; rule by fear. :rolleyes:

Have you forgotton 9/11 already? Scare tatics are part and parcel of the Democrat montra. "Without government how can we survive?"

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I don't think anybody in the US would sit still if their plane was hijacked. They would definitely do something, even if they were told they were just being held hostage.

You'd have to be insane to hijack a flight these days, unless there's hardly anyone on it (which I doubt happens in large cities, since the airlines can't afford for flights not to be full), or it was a cargo plane, which could be even worse, because many international cargo flights come in on big 747's, and I don't even want to think of what terrorists could do with those...

macfan

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by G4scott
I don't think anybody in the US would sit still if their plane was hijacked. They would definitely do something, even if they were told they were just being held hostage.

You'd have to be insane to hijack a flight these days, unless there's hardly anyone on it (which I doubt happens in large cities, since the airlines can't afford for flights not to be full), or it was a cargo plane, which could be even worse, because many international cargo flights come in on big 747's, and I don't even want to think of what terrorists could do with those...

Yep. I see the danger as being stealing a plane, maybe a cargo plane, rather then hijacking one. I know that whenever I fly, there will be no suicide mission that is carried out as long as I am able to breathe. Post 9/11, every passenger is a de facto air marshall.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
My guess is this:

amen. support for the war is dogging, we keep invading countries with nothing to fire us up but a 2-year old tragedy which they've overstimulated us with. 'Bout time for something else to happen, i'd say... Reichstag burns anew...

pnw

filmcutter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by paulwhannel
amen. support for the war is dogging, we keep invading countries with nothing to fire us up but a 2-year old tragedy which they've overstimulated us with. 'Bout time for something else to happen, i'd say... Reichstag burns anew...

pnw

As put so eloquently on Buzzflash :

"Whenever Bush is on the Ropes for Lying and Incompetence, He Starts Up with the "Terrorist Alerts." It's a Proven Pattern. The Man is Not to be Trusted as Far as a Dead Dog Can Spit."

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
My guess is this:

perfectly put.

btw, I think "air marshals" on planes is a very bad idea. Even if they are in disguise, I really don't like the idea of *anyone* having a gun on a plane.
how about this: 2 terrorists get up, and the air marshal gets up to stop them... then the three other terrorists on the plane see who he is, grab him from behind, and now they have a gun. Didn't even have to smuggle it on - the government did it for them!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by wdlove
Have you forgotton 9/11 already? Scare tatics are part and parcel of the Democrat montra. "Without government how can we survive?"

Without Constant Fear how can the economy Grow like it is right now?

:watches as Bush injects fear into the american public:

'New' Ari -- Sir the People aren't responding
Bush -- Okay, go to code RED [dramatic 'da-da-da' music]
News report later that day: As Bush increased the terror level millions of people bought Duck Tape to safeguard their homes from terriosts.

That will show them!

Well lets see the new security measures and see if they worked or not.

Lets hope this is something the administration *wasn't* cheap on.

I don't want to see another horror show.

tazo

macrumors 68040
My guess is this:

bush's case for war was not entirely based on the 'lies'

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
They spend money to stop this and that. They buy radiation detectors for the Washington Metro System, but they don’t make the fire extinguishers. I just got bored and started asking people on the train if they knew where the fire extinguishers were. No one who I asked knew. (I know because I hit them with my foot once. They are at the end of the car by the door but not the drivers door the other door. You can’t see them at all without sticking your head under there.) So anyway, I just think it is ironic how the government is so worried about nuclear attacks and yet they don’t think to mark the fire extinguishers. What if a guy walked in the train with a water bottle filled with gas? He could kill 500-800 people in 14 mins and walk away.

Kind of off topic, just trying to make a point.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I don't see how anyone could justify taking stand on this as being acceptible, regardless of the costs. I mean, it's enough of they have to warn of potential problems...shows they know something.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by QCassidy352
perfectly put.

btw, I think "air marshals" on planes is a very bad idea. Even if they are in disguise, I really don't like the idea of *anyone* having a gun on a plane.
how about this: 2 terrorists get up, and the air marshal gets up to stop them... then the three other terrorists on the plane see who he is, grab him from behind, and now they have a gun. Didn't even have to smuggle it on - the government did it for them!

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter one way or the other whether there are marshalls on the plane... If the administration pays for another terrorist attack, they'll have one.

pnw

Originally posted by thebossisback
Im going to Michigan next week and if anybody tries to hijack the plane, ill whack em over the head with my trusty 500mhz white iBook!
News Flash: A Terroist plot was foiled today by a smart passenger wielding his Apple iBooks as a bat. The passenger subdued three terrorists by hitting them over the head, they were then tied to their chairs by angry passengers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.