Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 3, 2007, 02:36 AM   #1
strangefate
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Anonymous (Blocked) Call Rejection

Let me preface this by saying that it's ridiculous that any (or some) mobile phone carriers cannot disable blocked/private numbers from being able to reach you. The technology and infrastructure is certainly there.

With that said, I have learned that if this feature is available it is usually just available on the phone itself as a setting -- rather than a setting on your account itself.

Wouldn't everyone appreciate a simple feature like this?

That's all I ask, but to go further, if you could block single numbers from being able to reach you as well that would be great. Again, phone carriers cannot do that for you.

I'm sure that governmental oversight will change things like this in the coming years, but for now I wish blocked numbers were not able to get through to my phone.

Apple, please?
strangefate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 02:42 AM   #2
Devil's Refugee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Don't understand. Are you asking for private or withheld number calls to be blocked by the network from reaching your phone ?
If so, why ?
Many corporate network phones don't display a number, you'd be potentially blocking out an important phone call just because it's a withheld number.

It would be no use in the UK, especially for those who rely on 3rd party agents to contract work to.
Devil's Refugee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 02:45 AM   #3
strangefate
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Similar to the feature on landline phones -- where a message that says something like "the caller you are trying to reach does not allow phone calls from blocked numbers, please hang up and dial *xx and try again".

Are you in the UK? If so, I haven't a clue if this applies.

In short, I don't want to ever see a call on my iPhone that says "Blocked" (exactly what it says).
strangefate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Joshua8o8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
i would like both the features you mentioned. I dont like to answer blocked numbers, i know when i call some homes they wont accept block numbers and force you to *82 before you call. I wish the iphone had that feature. Sorry i didnt see that post above me, but yea i agree.
Joshua8o8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 01:55 PM   #5
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000
 
AJsAWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangefate View Post
Let me preface this by saying that it's ridiculous that any (or some) mobile phone carriers cannot disable blocked/private numbers from being able to reach you. The technology and infrastructure is certainly there.

With that said, I have learned that if this feature is available it is usually just available on the phone itself as a setting -- rather than a setting on your account itself.

Wouldn't everyone appreciate a simple feature like this?

That's all I ask, but to go further, if you could block single numbers from being able to reach you as well that would be great. Again, phone carriers cannot do that for you.

I'm sure that governmental oversight will change things like this in the coming years, but for now I wish blocked numbers were not able to get through to my phone.

Apple, please?
I agree . . . as a matter of fact I'd like the ability to block all numbers that don't display caller id information.
__________________
AJsAWiz
AJsAWiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 01:59 PM   #6
diesel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I would like such a feature too.........I was recently on a business trip to London for 2 weeks and someone got a hold of my work blackberry phone number and kept crank calling me from a blocked/private number. In one day he made over 50 calls, he would call, and then just hang up. My BB service was with Cingular, so I called them and asked if they could block it and they said no. My only choice was to suspend service temporarily or turn my phone off (which was not an option since this was a work BB). What's crazy is that they told me that even if i didn't pick up the phone, due to the way international roaming works, when i don't pick up and it rolls over to voicemail, i would still get charged international rates (i.e. 1.50 or something like that a call) since the int'l carrier would have to forward the call back to the voicemail in the states or something like that. Not to mention the hassle of having my phone ring every 10 minutes or so throughout the night and day.
diesel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 02:54 PM   #7
MarkMS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsAWiz View Post
I agree . . . as a matter of fact I'd like the ability to block all numbers that don't display caller id information.

Same here as well. The *blocked calls* that I receive are usually my friends that like to crank call me at 4AM. If I could block those numbers and it would tell them to unblock their phone and then call me again ... that would be sweet!!
MarkMS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 03:10 PM   #8
sxl95
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I received an unsolicited, caller ID blocked call when up in Canada on my Verizon phone, and when I called Verizon about the issue, they also told me they didn't have a blocking type feature (like with land lines, where calls like that get screened). What really made me unhappy is they initially refused to either release the number of whoever called me, or refund the roaming charges. In the end, I eventually got the roaming charges back as a credit, but it took a second call!

So if I get an iPhone and/or switch to AT&T, I'd have the same problems?

-Sam
sxl95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 03:26 PM   #9
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
*snippet*


Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Refugee View Post
Many corporate network phones don't display a number, you'd be potentially blocking out an important phone call just because it's a withheld number.
That's the purpose.To force corporations to reveal the number they are calling from.

If they have MY number I have a right to THEIR number.
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:02 PM   #10
chr1s60
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
I kinda get what you are saying. I personally do not answer blocked calls that come to my phone. If they don't want me to know who they are then they can leave a message. I don't think I would want them not to be able to call me though. Sometimes I wont answer but the blocked call will leave a message and it will turn out to be something important. I do wish that there was the option to block certain numbers from calling your phone. Every few months I will get some weird number calling me 5 or more times a week. This will go on for a couple weeks then stop. It would be nice if I could block that specific number from being able to contact me. It would also be nice to block people that you simply don't like from calling you.
chr1s60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:11 PM   #11
iTiki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Today I received an unsolicited text message from someone hyping some stocks. I am very select on who gets my phone # and email address to avoid these problems. Is there any way to block incoming text messages? Worse yet, will this be charged to my text allowance?

Mike
iTiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:24 PM   #12
sxl95
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Mike,

I have text messaging blocked altogether, so as to avoid paying for other people bothering me. I don't know if any phone company can block certain messages, but if I ever do decide to text, it would be a nice option. But then again, I have Verizon, so I don't know what you can do with AT&T and the iPhone.

-Sam
sxl95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:57 PM   #13
iTiki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxl95 View Post
Mike,

I have text messaging blocked altogether, so as to avoid paying for other people bothering me. I don't know if any phone company can block certain messages, but if I ever do decide to text, it would be a nice option. But then again, I have Verizon, so I don't know what you can do with AT&T and the iPhone.

-Sam
Thanks. I don't text message either. I will look into turning off text messaging if this turns out to be more than an isolated incident.
iTiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 05:04 PM   #14
chr1s60
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTiki View Post
Today I received an unsolicited text message from someone hyping some stocks. I am very select on who gets my phone # and email address to avoid these problems. Is there any way to block incoming text messages? Worse yet, will this be charged to my text allowance?

Mike
There is nothing you can do about this other than stop getting text messages as a whole. I received one of those the other day. It sucks, but it will be charged to your text allowance.
chr1s60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone5s Defective Battery - Genius Bar Rejection Twice E2EK1EL iPhone 28 Aug 27, 2014 09:22 PM
Blocked caller bypassing iOS 7 call blocking? Joybringer iPhone 14 Nov 30, 2013 10:20 AM
Upgrade your iPhone app to iPhone5 or face rejection jessicasangvi iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Apr 4, 2013 07:32 AM
Any way to reveal a blocked call number? ChrisJPN iPhone 5 Jul 9, 2012 02:28 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC