Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1
jhammer21
macrumors newbie

iTunes won't play, and no sound from any application

I have a troubling problem: when I press the play button on iTunes, the file does not play. The play symbol changes to the pause symbol, as if it was playing, but the cursor on the time bar does not move to the right and there is no sound. The problem is actually bigger than that. My sound does not work period. It's not just that sound doesn't come out of the speakers, but the volume keys don't actually do anything (the increase or decrease volume image does not come up on the screen). So I don't know if it's just a sound problem, or some bigger global problem, but it definitely is more than just a faulty speaker connection.

I'm using an eMac, OS 10.2.8,700 MHz PowerPC G4, 768 MB memory, iTunes 6.0.5. I've tried reinstalling iTunes, but it's been no help. I read on another message board about a similar problem, and that the person solved it by installing an updated version of QuickTime. I didn't really understand what QuickTime has to do with the problem, but maybe it has something to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jhammer21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Gee
macrumors 65816

Quicktime handles a lot of the audio and video jobs on a mac, often in the background, so I would say that updating to the latest version is definitely worth a shot.
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3
jhammer21
macrumors newbie

one more thing...

I forgot to mention something that is probably important. I just changed out my hard drive (or more accurately, my friend who knows what he's doing changed hard drives), and the problem arose immediately afterward. I'm actually not using the new hard drive yet, b/c I'm having a problem copying over my the contents of my old HD to my new one (that's the subject for another thread). I'm running off of my old HD externally.

Anyway, I realize it may be significant that the problem started just after I disassembled the computer.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Royale w/cheese
macrumors 6502a

10.2.8 isn't going to support the newest version of quicktime, or almost anything else for that matter.

Try repairing permissions. Just a thought.
Royale w/cheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:35 AM   #5
jhammer21
macrumors newbie

How do I repair permissions?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:54 AM   #6
mr_matalino
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer21 View Post
How do I repair permissions?
Utilities - Disk Utility - Permissions - Repair Permissions.
mr_matalino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Gee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer21 View Post
Anyway, I realize it may be significant that the problem started just after I disassembled the computer.
Maybe there's a loose wire connecting the speakers to the whatever. I don't know what the inside of an eMac looks like, but it could be that this is the problem rather than any software issue.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:39 PM   #8
jhammer21
macrumors newbie

But if it was the connection from the speakers, wouldn't iTunes play, but no sound come out? In my case iTunes simply doesn't play. And again, the volume image doesn't come up when I press the volume keys. That's what made me think it's not a hardware issue.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 03:45 AM   #9
matteoman
macrumors newbie

It's happening to me too...

This has happened to me too. I removed parallels and bootcamp yesterday and ran Diskwarrior as my HD could not verify in Disk Utility and now I have no sound and songs will not play in iTunes however TV shows will play but with no sound. It's not the hardware as I get the startup chimes loud and clear when I reboot.

Help!!!

running 10.4.10 on mbp
matteoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 05:26 AM   #10
Gee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteoman View Post
This has happened to me too. I removed parallels and bootcamp yesterday and ran Diskwarrior as my HD could not verify in Disk Utility and now I have no sound and songs will not play in iTunes however TV shows will play but with no sound. It's not the hardware as I get the startup chimes loud and clear when I reboot.

Help!!!

running 10.4.10 on mbp
And you're running the latest versions of quicktime and itunes?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:06 AM   #11
matteoman
macrumors newbie

Yes - nothing seems to fix it. Might just erase and reinstall osx?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:44 AM   #12
motulist
macrumors 68040

Just to check the obvious, you're trying to play audio through the built in internal speaker and not external speakers or headphones or anything like that, right?
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:06 PM   #13
matteoman
macrumors newbie

Yeah everything was set up ok. (Correct speakers etc) I did an erase and install of osx and now everything is fine. Bit of a pain but it worked!
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:12 AM   #14
jhammer21
macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting your solution. I'll try reinstalling my OS as well.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store