Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Blu-Ray is the new standard. I think there are already products in Japan on sale (maybe from Sony) and they should be available in the west late 2003/2004. Cost is still likely to be very high - note the prices of DVD-R's compared to CD-R's.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I think read that Sony already came out with blue laser drive in Japan. But the disc comes in a cartridge and costs thousands of dollars. I think it will take few of years (maybe more) for that price to come down and the hardware easier to use (without cartridge).

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
They won't. Those discs will not be compatible with the current players, so consumers will need to upgrade. The next step is holographic storage, and it will be ready in the next year or so. If you want to talk about storage, how about over 200GB on a disc, makes that 34GB seem rather paltry doesn't it. By 2005, that same size, but twice as thick will store 1TB.

Sony is involved and there are developing a ROM only application for this technology that can transfer 100GB in less than a minute.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
links?

Originally posted by Lanbrown
They won't. Those discs will not be compatible with the current players, so consumers will need to upgrade. The next step is holographic storage, and it will be ready in the next year or so. If you want to talk about storage, how about over 200GB on a disc, makes that 34GB seem rather paltry doesn't it. By 2005, that same size, but twice as thick will store 1TB.

Sony is involved and there are developing a ROM only application for this technology that can transfer 100GB in less than a minute.

Sounds very interesting! Do you have any links for further info? I'd really appreciate it.

--Waluigi

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It is Sony that have the first Blu-Ray recorder, the BDZ-S77:

sony-bdz-s77.jpg

There is a full review here.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by macphoria
I think read that Sony already came out with blue laser drive in Japan. But the disc comes in a cartridge and costs thousands of dollars. I think it will take few of years (maybe more) for that price to come down and the hardware easier to use (without cartridge).
The major sticking point with Blu-ray DVD-R HD is legal, not economic or technical. JVC already sells D-VHS HD recorders for about $1000 each. I can't see Blu-ray DVD recorders priced more than $3000 or so. However, the content providers crap all over themselves at the prospect of recording HDTV on DVD-R. Sony still has a lot of negotiations to go through in order for the big film studios to allow Blu-ray DVD into the USA. We may end up with a fee being assessed on every blank Blu-ray disk sold which goes to the MPAA. The fact that you use them only to back-up your 250 GB hard disk not withstanding. I hope not, but it could happen.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Blue Ray recording technology will not be in widespread use in the United States until there is widespread use of HDTV, or when all analog signals are cut off (I think 2006?). So I wouldn't expect it to come down in price until there is more of a demand for it.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Re: links?

Originally posted by Waluigi
Sounds very interesting! Do you have any links for further info? I'd really appreciate it.

--Waluigi

Try a search on google. Holographic storage has been talked about and developed for sometime now.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Holographic+storage&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

They seem to be on schedule with the technology. How fast we see it for consumer use is unknown. It does have some drawbacks, which make it impractical for some storage needs. Archival, movie and music are places it would shine though.

InPhase is one of the companies touting the capabilities of it.
http://www.inphase-tech.com/index.html
To see how it works:
http://www.inphase-tech.com/technology/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.