Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I know I am impatient and everything, but when do the real iPhone accessories come?

Stereo connections, boom boxes, car integration (better ones), everything? I am spoiled with iPod accessories and need some iPhone ones soon...:(

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
My prediction is on a Tuesday. Which Tuesday you ask? Only Jesus knows.

Ha yeah. This media even tuesday will probably be the Apple boombox thing...

Remember when there was some big hype back a year ago in april or march and Apple had a media closed event and then it was just the boombox thing (Hifi?) and something else and I for one was disappointed... but that is because I was waiting for the MBP 17"

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
Ha yeah. This media even tuesday will probably be the Apple boombox thing...

Remember when there was some big hype back a year ago in april or march and Apple had a media closed event and then it was just the boombox thing (Hifi?) and something else and I for one was disappointed... but that is because I was waiting for the MBP 17"

I'm hoping it's going to be an announcement of new apps for the phone. I would love having ichat on it. I'm pretty much set with accessories: case and phone. There isn't much more that I need.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I'm hoping it's going to be an announcement of new apps for the phone. I would love having ichat on it. I'm pretty much set with accessories: case and phone. There isn't much more that I need.

Oh yeah I would love for it become open in some form or fashion. Surely Apple could at least open it up in same way where apple has to certify it or something..... I'd easily risk the phone being unstable.

You are complete though? Hmm I really need a stereo unit, I need a car integration, I wish there was a water proof case (but I am not sure how that would ever work with it being touch screen).... And I really think their could be some creative things that I want, but have not thought of them.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Oh yeah I would love for it become open in some form or fashion. Surely Apple could at least open it up in same way where apple has to certify it or something..... I'd easily risk the phone being unstable.

You are complete though? Hmm I really need a stereo unit, I need a car integration, I wish there was a water proof case (but I am not sure how that would ever work with it being touch screen).... And I really think their could be some creative things that I want, but have not thought of them.

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/iphone_case/

edit: The iPhone Otterbox isn't water proof? I thought it was, but it just says "moisture protection" and "not for underwater use".

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005

Bose Sounddock works fine with the iPhone. It asks you if you want to put the iPhone into airplane mode each time you plug it in, but you can say yes or no. You do get some feedback from the phone when it uses edge to check mail or just before an incoming phone call. GSM is to blame for that. The antenna is just great at interfering with things.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/iphone_case/

edit: The iPhone Otterbox isn't water proof? I thought it was, but it just says "moisture protection" and "not for underwater use".

Well that is a good product and I have thought about going with it, but that still would not solve the water proof dream I have; this is the accessory I least want though.

Bose Sounddock works fine with the iPhone. It asks you if you want to put the iPhone into airplane mode each time you plug it in, but you can say yes or no. You do get some feedback from the phone when it uses edge to check mail or just before an incoming phone call. GSM is to blame for that. The antenna is just great at interfering with things.

I know somethings work kinda, but I am talking I want truly full integration and not just bose as I can't afford it and do not like the quality for price ratio. I know some other things work, but rarely do they work right (besides the interference).

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Well that is a good product and I have thought about going with it, but that still would not solve the water proof dream I have; this is the accessory I least want though.

I know somethings work kinda, but I am talking I want truly full integration and not just bose as I can't afford it and do not like the quality for price ratio. I know some other things work, but rarely do they work right (besides the interference).

Sorry. The Bose SoundDock is only rivaled by the Klipsch model and they're pretty much the same price last I checked. It also doesn't just "kinda" work. It works just fine. I haven't tried mine with a SoundDock since the 1.0.1 update, so it might be even more seamless now.

You get what you pay for. If you want one of those crappy ass iLive piles of crap that sound like a tin can go ahead and spend the $50 on it.

Goto a Bose Factory store and get a SoundDock for like $249 or less. I've seen them as low as $225. They're on sale almost all the time.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I know I am impatient and everything, but when do the real iPhone accessories come?

Stereo connections, boom boxes, car integration (better ones), everything? I am spoiled with iPod accessories and need some iPhone ones soon...:(

My iPhone works with my Apple Hi-Fi.
My iPhone works with my Volvo bluetooth for hands free talk and dial.
My iPhone works with my Volvo iPod hard-wire integration for steering wheel access to playlists and volume.
I bought a Case-mate for my belt and it serves as both case and belt holder.

So what do you want, an iSock?

A lot of today's current crop of iPod thingies are working with the iPhone, but, yes, there's always room for more "stuff" to get, I suppose. But if you are hoping even for something to be created that you haven't yet thought of just to get more stuff, I would posit that you're already semi-bored with the 500 bucks you spent after only a month and may never be fully satisfied what whatever accessory came out. Not a slam, my fellow board member - just an observation?:eek:

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
My iPhone works with my Volvo iPod hard-wire integration for steering wheel access to playlists and volume.

A lot of today's current crop of iPod thingies are working with the iPhone, but, yes, there's always room for more "stuff" to get, I suppose. But if you are hoping even for something to be created that you haven't yet thought of just to get more stuff, I would posit that you're already semi-bored with the 500 bucks you spent after only a month and may never be fully satisfied what whatever accessory came out. Not a slam, my fellow board member - just an observation?:eek:

An iSock would actually be pretty nice.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Sorry. The Bose SoundDock is only rivaled by the Klipsch model and they're pretty much the same price last I checked. It also doesn't just "kinda" work. It works just fine. I haven't tried mine with a SoundDock since the 1.0.1 update, so it might be even more seamless now.

You get what you pay for. If you want one of those crappy ass iLive piles of crap that sound like a tin can go ahead and spend the $50 on it.

Goto a Bose Factory store and get a SoundDock for like $249 or less. I've seen them as low as $225. They're on sale almost all the time.

I don't want cheap as craptacular speakers I never said that. What I said was I think Bose is a waste of money. I am sorry if that makes you upset on your purchase. I am not trying to hurt your feelings. I think there are better solutions out there that's all...

The iPhone does work for the Hi-Fi? Man that is awesome... I tried it out at the Apple store a few weeks ago and it didn't work... I was really shocked, but perhaps I did something wrong. That is very pleasing!!

Also If I could afford a Volvo or even a car that had some sort of integration/navigation system I wouldn't be complaining or starting my own thread about this stuff. My teacher uses his in his Prius and has a great time with it, but that is not a solution for my Mustang with the Mach 460 sound system.....

And I am not bored with my iPhone at all. I just think it could be ten time better when I am able to have music playing through out my house, a boom box like the Hi-Fi at the beach (but this might be solved now), and car integration just to name a few (that means, music through the speakers, phone call through the speakers, a mic sitting above my sun visor etc. But I have a Love/Hate relationship with my iPhone (my $600) toy because of the email and some minor features it is missing.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
My teacher uses his in his Prius and has a great time with it, but that is not a solution for my Mustang with the Mach 460 sound system.....

I just think (my iPhone) could be ten times better when I am able to have music playing through out my house, a boom box like the Hi-Fi at the beach (but this might be solved now), and car integration just to name a few (that means, music through the speakers, phone call through the speakers, a mic sitting above my sun visor etc. But I have a Love/Hate relationship with my iPhone (my $600) toy because of the email and some minor features it is missing.

Mustang? Cool.:cool:

I kinda get where you're at - what the iPhone isn't doing for you or missing could be made up for with some accessories that give you more flexibility with what it CAN do. Or some-such.:D

Well, unless some others here want to chime in, I'd turn to Google if I were you. Now that you know the (somewhat expensive!) Apple Hi-Fi works w/iPhone, that's one down.

Playing music throughout the house - well, the iPhone doesn't broadcast music, so that would be more of an iTunes-on-your-home-computer thing, using Wi-Fi and AirTunes and speakers.

Music through the car speakers could be accomplished with an FM transmitter device - although in LA it's sometimes hard to get a clean channel, I've done it:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripdock/

Phone call through the speakers w/ mic sitting in sun visor? Not sure about full-on iPod integration for the 'stang (old or new model) but you may be interested in knowing about products like this:

http://tinyurl.com/2x7p3y

With a little searchin' around, you should be able to find something to accomodate current needs or wants, within a reasonable budget, and not look fugly in the process.:)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
QUOTE=voicegy;4015072]Mustang? Cool.:cool:

I kinda get where you're at - what the iPhone isn't doing for you or missing could be made up for with some accessories that give you more flexibility with what it CAN do. Or some-such.:D

Well, unless some others here want to chime in, I'd turn to Google if I were you. Now that you know the (somewhat expensive!) Apple Hi-Fi works w/iPhone, that's one down.

:D

Playing music throughout the house - well, the iPhone doesn't broadcast music, so that would be more of an iTunes-on-your-home-computer thing, using Wi-Fi and AirTunes and speakers.

True, but I rarely have my MBP connected as I am always moving around so I was hoping for something that I could drop my iPhone into and throw the music across apartment.

Music through the car speakers could be accomplished with an FM transmitter device - although in LA it's sometimes hard to get a clean channel, I've done it:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripdock/

I though I read that this doesn't work with the iPhone?

Phone call through the speakers w/ mic sitting in sun visor? Not sure about full-on iPod integration for the 'stang (old or new model) but you may be interested in knowing about products like this:

http://tinyurl.com/2x7p3y

I like, but I would rather have it much more integrated. Where I can turn up the volume through my stereo. This is probably a big dream since my stupid sounds system (long story).

With a little searchin' around, you should be able to find something to accomodate current needs or wants, within a reasonable budget, and not look fugly in the process.:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the help.

I also was working out the other day and would really look forward to the iPhone Nike armband and step thing (what are they called?).
I know there are already iPhone armbands, but one of the armbands released on iPhone day has now been recalled because many iPhones were falling out -- So my friend who works at Apple says (I almost loose credibility when I throw out my friend works at Apple).

Still thanks for the help. Will have my fingers crossed for my stuff. Also, I am hoping more unique stuff comes out that I would have never thought about, but will want badly and make my life easier.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I should probably go private with this conversation but I'll keep it public in the thread you created just in case others out there have some good input.

1. Music in the house via iPhone.
Hmmmm...well, if you have a Mac at home with all your music on it in iTunes, how about playing around with that "Signal" app that I talked about in a different thread? Set the Mac to blast out your iTunes wirelessly to a few AirPort Express base stations, hook the base stations to a few computer speakers (I share your semi-distain for Bose, but for 100 bucks they sell some really nice sounding PC speakers) and then control your iTunes library via Signal. I know it's not *exactly* playing your music via the iPhone's iPod capability, but in essence, it's almost the same thing.

2. Music in the car.
My bad - I just "assumed" that any current FM transmitter for iPod would just work for iPhone. After doing some searching, I see that's not really the case. Looks like there is an answer coming soon, though:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/devices/iphone/

3. Phone calls in the car.
If you want a "through the car speakers" device (which is understandable) that may take some searching - most of what I've seen doesn't particularly integrate via the car speakers, but uses its own speaker. The thing I had installed in my Volvo does go through the speakers, but the volume is controlled via the Bluetooth device, not the volume control on the radio.

4. Armbands that work.
Griffin offers an armband - don't know if that is the one that is being recalled, but it happened to also be on the web link I posted above.

Technology marches forward, and the iPhone has, granted, only been out for 6 weeks. There will be more stuff on the horizon, that's for sure - and may your wildest dreams, including those you haven't thought of yet, come true.:)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I should probably go private with this conversation but I'll keep it public in the thread you created just in case others out there have some good input.

1. Music in the house via iPhone.
Hmmmm...well, if you have a Mac at home with all your music on it in iTunes, how about playing around with that "Signal" app that I talked about in a different thread? Set the Mac to blast out your iTunes wirelessly to a few AirPort Express base stations, hook the base stations to a few computer speakers (I share your semi-distain for Bose, but for 100 bucks they sell some really nice sounding PC speakers) and then control your iTunes library via Signal. I know it's not *exactly* playing your music via the iPhone's iPod capability, but in essence, it's almost the same thing.

2. Music in the car.
My bad - I just "assumed" that any current FM transmitter for iPod would just work for iPhone. After doing some searching, I see that's not really the case. Looks like there is an answer coming soon, though:

3. Phone calls in the car.
If you want a "through the car speakers" device (which is understandable) that may take some searching - most of what I've seen doesn't particularly integrate via the car speakers, but uses its own speaker. The thing I had installed in my Volvo does go through the speakers, but the volume is controlled via the Bluetooth device, not the volume control on the radio.

4. Armbands that work.
Griffin offers an armband - don't know if that is the one that is being recalled, but it happened to also be on the web link I posted above.

Technology marches forward, and the iPhone has, granted, only been out for 6 weeks. There will be more stuff on the horizon, that's for sure - and may your wildest dreams, including those you haven't thought of yet, come true.:)

1. The music solution through the Airport Express might have to be my solution until something with the iPhone.

2. That is really exciting. Thanks for finding that for me. I will be watching that website a lot now!

3. I hope they come out with something soon that is like my teachers set up for his iPod. With his prius this company (in Long Beach and I'm sure other places but this is where he got it) made it so that his ipod integrates into his Navigation so that he can control it (scroll wheel and all) right from the navigation/steering wheel plus it displays the songs and information that the ipod would normally have on it's screen. Very jealous, but that will be a hard thing to accomplish for the iPhone, and might very well be impossible since the phone is so bogged down... I would also have to get a new car to so might not be a solution for a long time....

4. I saw that armband and have been considering it, but the I feel like nike would do better.

Anyways yes you are very right technology will progress and accessories will come soon, but I am being a baby and used to the millions of iPod accessories since I came late in to the game when getting the iPod.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
I think Apple will continue to supply limited accessories with their products as they have done with iPod. They let other companies design accessories. I am pretty sure they even charge companies who want to display the "Works for iPod/iPhone" tag on their products. With iPhone we already have the headset, and besides some kind of new dock that did crazy things I wouldn't expect Apple to release any more accessories. Just my thoughts.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I think Apple will continue to supply limited accessories with their products as they have done with iPod. They let other companies design accessories. I am pretty sure they even charge companies who want to display the "Works for iPod/iPhone" tag on their products. With iPhone we already have the headset, and besides some kind of new dock that did crazy things I wouldn't expect Apple to release any more accessories. Just my thoughts.

True true. I am very surprised by the iPhone Apple made Accessories. I just really hope Apple's closed iphone system doesn't create a Magsafe situation. God forbid I can charge my MBP in my car. Who goes on vacations using cars anyways and brings an MBP.

And what I mean by that I know there will be awesome external stuff for the iPhone e.g. Apple Headset or cases, but I hope that because they can't access the internals of the MBP we are not limited to the accessories that are being dreamt up.

clayforester

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
does the volvo bluetooth handsfree sytem really work

Hi there,

Your are the second person I have seen who has said that the bluetooth handsfree system in volvos will work with iphone. I was considering getting BT put into my volvo next service appointment but the service tech there tells me that they are not compatible and won't work? How new is your BT? Let me know if you have had any problems with it. Thanks

Clayton

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Hi there,

Your are the second person I have seen who has said that the bluetooth handsfree system in volvos will work with iphone. I was considering getting BT put into my volvo next service appointment but the service tech there tells me that they are not compatible and won't work? How new is your BT? Let me know if you have had any problems with it. Thanks

Clayton

Won't they let you test out on a vehicle on the lot that has bluetooth?

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Hi there,

I was considering getting BT put into my volvo next service appointment but the service tech there tells me that they are not compatible and won't work? How new is your BT? Let me know if you have had any problems with it. Thanks

Clayton

No problems at all. The service tech may have been "frightened" by the iPhone - I remember when I brought mine in they looked at it like a pig looks at a wristwatch.

Any decent full-on Volvo dealer should have a demo kiosk set up in the showroom for cell phone hands-free options, plus an iPod demo set up. It was a simple process to see if the iPhone worked or not - it did in the demo, so I had them both installed (hard wired iPod and Bluetooth) The service tech you talked to is misinformed, at best, or he may have only referred to the VOLVO BLUETOOTH PHONE MODULE - PHONE COMPABILITY OVERVIEW chart, which still has the iPhone missing from the line up; however, it also might be due to the particular car model. I HAVE read that the Volvo bluetooth kits wont work with the S80 executive, elite, or premier models. I have 2006 S80, and it went in fine.

Since the iPhone doesn't have voice recognition, be prepared to "teach" the bluetooth device names and numbers. Incovenient, but it holds up to 20, and after the set up it's fine.

http://tinyurl.com/ynthc7

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
2. Music in the car.

I know this is an old thread, but I wouldn't bet on Griffin. They say that the Powerblock is iPhone compatible but it refuses to work if the charge is low (in the red zone). Works fine otherwise.

EDIT: They don't currently list an fm transmitter for the iPhone.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I know this is an old thread, but I wouldn't bet on Griffin. They say that the Powerblock is iPhone compatible but it refuses to work if the charge is low (in the red zone). Works fine otherwise.

EDIT: They don't currently list an fm transmitter for the iPhone.

At the time of the original post, the link held promise for such a device. Apparently Griffin decided against it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.