Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 5, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
zblaxberg

vpn icon

So yesterday I was messing around on my mbp and I don't quite understand what a vpn is or what it does but anyway I went to fool around with it and now the vpn icon is in the top right corner next to the bluetooth icon...Is there a way to remove it or should i just not worry about it and leave it there. There isn't a vpn set up or anything, it's not configured and it says vpn:idle...the only option it gives me is open internet connect. Any ideas? Should I configure a vpn (considering i'm going into college)
zblaxberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 02:21 PM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

God, that's a random jumble of thoughts. Let's start with removing it from the menubar. Hold the Apple / Command key (the one directly on either side of the spacebar), and click and drag it off the menu bar. Then let go of the mouse button.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 02:24 PM   #3
zblaxberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
God, that's a random jumble of thoughts. Let's start with removing it from the menubar. Hold the Apple / Command key (the one directly on either side of the spacebar), and click and drag it off the menu bar. Then let go of the mouse button.
that worked...now the question is do i really need a vpn...and what would be a reason why I would need it
zblaxberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Nermal

Basically it's one of those "if you don't know, then you don't need it" kind of things
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 03:07 PM   #5
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Come on, alwasy nice to be educated!

VPN (Virtual Private Network) enables you to log into another network.
If, for instance, you're working at home, but need a file of a server that is on the network at your office.
For security reasons you probably cannot reach that server directly, so first of all you set up a VPN connection to the office network, and then you connect to the server to get your needed file.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:16 AM   #6
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
Come on, alwasy nice to be educated!
I was late for work
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X