Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
toru173
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to toru173
iMac G3 internal modem - not working?

I gave an iMac G3 400mhz DV to a friend to support her iPod. Recently she's been trying to connect it to the internet with the internal modem. Apparently when she tries to connect the mac spits up a "No dail tone" message. She's double-checked the cable and that a dial tone exists by swapping the cables between the computer and the phone, and checking that there is a dial tone on the phone before she tries to connect (hanging up again of course).

At the moment we're looking at AUD80 for a new modem for it. The iMac is running 10.4.8 with all the updates installed (I think) and has something like 384meg of ram. I put a 120gig HDD in there as well. As my currency would suggest I'm in Australia, although I don't know if that is relevent. Maybe different phone technologies is the problem.

The iMac is way out of warrenty, as you would expect. Is there anything I can do to check to see if the problem is the modem itself, and if it is can anyone recommend a solution that ISN'T "buy a new iMac/modem/pc/telephone exchange"? Please keep in mind that it's at her house, so if I am to try anything out it will be tomorrow at the absolute earliest.

Thanks in advance
toru173 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 06:54 AM   #2
toru173
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to toru173
I don't mean to be a pest, but I need to bump this. I'm afraid it got lost when the forums were flooded with new iMac fever. Anyone have any advice?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
geefour
macrumors newbie

Has the modem worked before?

Does the modem show up in the list of hardware when you click 'About this Mac', 'more info'?
geefour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Sherman Homan
macrumors 6502

Sort of a zombie thread, but there was never any response! Go to the Network System Preference, tell us what you have in the Location --> Modem.
Sherman Homan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs