Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Hello-

I am in the market for a new wireless router and I am considering the AirPort Extreme. I have a few questions that I have pondered and wanted to see if anyone else had any knowledgeable opinions/experiences:

1) I have a mixed Mac/PC house... anyone with experience or references talking about various 802.11n (draft, I know!) compatible PCMCIA cards that I could outfit my Dell laptop with? I am concerned with draft-n compatibility with mixed PC-Apple hardware.

2) Best potential way to hardware upgrade my PowerMac G4 to be 802.11n compatible ... I assume a USB adaptor or something... any ideas out there? (again, hardware compatibility and 'range' or receive performance of a USB thing)

3) Anyone else gone through this and opted for a non-Apple wireless router? (I am actually starting to think this is best since I can match the PC and router hardware, but my Airport Extreme card on my G4 wouldn't lose any performance and surely be 100% compatible ... but am anticipating that Leopard may have features that are more (only?) compatible with the Apple hardware ... and I like apple hardware if it isn't too much more $$ and fills my needs!)

Thanks for any input! (if this helps anyone, I have a cheap tDell Inspiron 1501 laptop)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.