Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 6, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1
crazycat
macrumors 65816
 
crazycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The fight for HD Blu vs HD

I did not want to make such a post for some time now, i decided this is the right time since people started to pick sides and i would like to know how the war is going.

I myself picked Blu-ray, there are 3 major reasons why i did so. One, you can fit more data one a blue-ray disk, two Apple seems to think its a winner and they have not been wrong in the last few years and because the more good movies are coming out on blu-ray. I started my Blu-ray collection, around 20 unites strong and i have some HD-DVD (4-5).

I would like to know if people have already picked a side or are still waiting.
__________________
"I don't take kindly to insults"
"Funny, with a face like yours, I'd have thought you'd be used to it by now."
crazycat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 08:44 PM   #2
MacMan33
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
I did not want to make such a post for some time now, i decided this is the right time since people started to pick sides and i would like to know how the war is going.

I myself picked Blu-ray, there are 3 major reasons why i did so. One, you can fit more data one a blue-ray disk, two Apple seems to think its a winner and they have not been wrong in the last few years and because the more good movies are coming out on blu-ray. I started my Blu-ray collection, around 20 unites strong and i have some HD-DVD (4-5).

I would like to know if people have already picked a side or are still waiting.
hard to say for me, I have both a 360 HD DVD player and a sony blue ray home player and have found myself using the HDDVD for 1 main reason it supports HD DVD and SD DVD. this is why i feel this format will win out over all. And if you notice all the major release titles like 300 were released on all formats Blu ray and HD DVD. the dual format is what will win in the long run I feel. Time will tell..
MacMan33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3
erickkoch
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kalifornia
I picked HD DVD. Bought the Xbox360 add-on for $179 last week. It came with King Kong and an offer of 5 HD DVD's for free by mail. Can't wait for them to arrive.

My reasons are:

I found that HD DVD format had more of the movies I want.

Internet content: HD DVD allows downloading of extras since Network Connectivity is part of the standard for HD DVD. Not sure it that's true of BR. This allow extra content to be downloaded so it's less likely you'll end up having to buy "The Delux Edition" with more extras and updates.

DVD-HD/DVD combo format. Some content is available on a dual disk format, DVD and HD DVD on the same disk. At least if HD DVD goes belly-up I will still have usable movies that will play on a BR player. I tested it with "300" and "Hot Fuzz". Works just fine but the disks cost a few dollars more.

I'm not planning to invest too heavily on replacing my library. I'll buy the combo format when possible and downloading movies works for me as well. I'm thinking of subscribing to NetFlix, they have HD DVD content that costs the same as regular. I just don't want to end up with a useless library of "Betamax" disks.
__________________
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don’t know what you are talking about.
erickkoch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:11 PM   #4
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
In this case, I am staying on the sideline and see what the market dictates.

Then I may jump in.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Lancetx
macrumors 68000
 
Lancetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Texas
I went with Blu-ray because it clearly has more movie studio support and more hardware manufacturers support than HD DVD. Plus it didn't hurt that I can have both a top notch Blu-ray player (that also nicely upscales SD DVDs) and a next generation game console all in one with the Sony PS3.
Lancetx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:48 PM   #6
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
If I were to buy today, I could choose Blu-Ray. But since I am not ready to invest in something that could very well go belly up within the next year and lose all support... I am waiting it out
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 280X 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2xUAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:06 PM   #7
Grimace
macrumors 68040
 
Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: with Hamburglar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan33 View Post
hard to say for me, I have both a 360 HD DVD player and a sony blue ray home player and have found myself using the HDDVD for 1 main reason it supports HD DVD and SD DVD. this is why i feel this format will win out over all.
wait, Blu ray players won't play standard def DVDs?
__________________
Canon 1DX • Canon 5D MkIII
24-70mm f/2.8L II • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L II • 300mm f/2.8L IS
Grimace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:09 PM   #8
chaos86
macrumors 65816
 
chaos86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Send a message via AIM to chaos86
it's all up to the porn industry.

they decided on vhs over betamax, and that ended that argument.
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:34 PM   #9
aquajet
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
In this case, I am staying on the sideline and see what the market dictates.
You might as well leave the stadium, get in your car and drive away before the fans start breaking bottles over heads in anger.

I'm of the opinion that neither format will win. It's crazy expensive compared to regular DVD, the titles are limited, the gains are minimal. And to see any gain at all, you'd have to buy all new equipment, including a new television. I don't think the vast majority of people are going to buy into the hype because current DVDs are good enough for most.

If you're familiar with the Quadraphonic audio war of the 1970s, you'll notice there are striking similarities. And in that case, neither were able to supplant regular old stereo sound for exactly the same reasons today.

But that's not to say something newer and better won't be successful later on...
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:37 PM   #10
aquajet
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos86 View Post
it's all up to the porn industry.
I suspect most people get their porn from the internet these days.
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:37 AM   #11
OutThere
macrumors 603
 
OutThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NYC
I'd rather blu-ray win, as it seems to be the better standard, tech wise (more space, better content protection), but I'm not choosing a side until it's all said and done. I refuse to pony up for something that could be archaic in a few months. I'll stick to seeing movies in the theater until then.
__________________
puisqu'on est jeune et con, puisqu'ils sont vieux et fous. . .
OutThere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 08:53 PM   #12
steamboat26
macrumors 65816
 
steamboat26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington VA
Send a message via AIM to steamboat26 Send a message via Yahoo to steamboat26
I was seriously considering the HD-DVD add on for the 360, but the titles you get for free are lame.
I'd rather wait until more movies come out on either format, then i will make my decision. Wouldn't hurt to have a TV capable of 1080p.

EDIT: YAY! My 1000th Post
__________________
-Mac Mini duo core 1.66 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Mac OS 10.4.10
-iPod Nano 4 GB Black
-iMac G3 500 Mhz, 384 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, Mac OS 10.3.9
steamboat26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 09:16 PM   #13
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Darkplace Hospital
I'd rather HD-DVD win, everything else aside - it's region free. I don't want to be locked to a specific region kthx.

I've yet to buy into the HD movie market. Probably because I don't really care for films, and I've got much better things to spend my money on. Such as fancy new iMacs

And I've always said the internet will win this one. Even on my 512kbps connection.
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:51 PM   #14
mduser63
macrumors 68040
 
mduser63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Blu-Ray via PS3 here. One of the main reasons I bought a PS3 was for the Blu-Ray player. HD-DVD is backed by MS which is a huge strike against it in my mind. Although, of course, Blu-Ray being Sony technology puts others off I suppose. Anyway Blu-Ray does seem to be winning, and I like the idea of the increased storage it offers
__________________
27" 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac, 12 GB RAM
2.3 GHz Retina MacBook Pro
12" 1.33 GHz Superdrive PowerBook G4, 1.25 GB RAM
iPhone 5, iPad 3, etc.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:19 AM   #15
huntnboy04
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MI, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos86 View Post
it's all up to the porn industry.

...they helped DVD's get into the main stream.
__________________
Collectors Edition Alu MacBook
iPhone 4s
iPad 3
huntnboy04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:49 AM   #16
adk
macrumors 68000
 
adk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajet View Post
You might as well leave the stadium, get in your car and drive away before the fans start breaking bottles over heads in anger.

I'm of the opinion that neither format will win. It's crazy expensive compared to regular DVD, the titles are limited, the gains are minimal. And to see any gain at all, you'd have to buy all new equipment, including a new television. I don't think the vast majority of people are going to buy into the hype because current DVDs are good enough for most.

If you're familiar with the Quadraphonic audio war of the 1970s, you'll notice there are striking similarities. And in that case, neither were able to supplant regular old stereo sound for exactly the same reasons today.

But that's not to say something newer and better won't be successful later on...

The prices of the players will come down. The players are only in their first or second generations. I think we'll see HD-DVD players for under $200 within a few years (if they're still around) and I'm not sure about Blu-ray.


The real problem is that only 30% of US households even own an HDTV (source). I predict that the format war will soon stagnate because nobody cares that much about it. Until the price of a decently sized HDTV comes down significantly the market for these players will soon be saturated.
adk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 02:16 AM   #17
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
The prices of the players will come down.
That much is certain.

Hard to believe the price of CD players when they were introduced.

My first one was a Pioneer and one of the first on the market. Retail price was $1,500. I got it on sale for half price.

Now you can get a portable CD player with more features, better sound, etc. for $20-30.

Regarding HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, both have their benefits. Personally, I like the HD-DVD concept because you can play your current SD DVDs.

A majority of folks still have a regular TV in their home. HDTV has not been adapted US/Worldwide yet. It will come. These things take time.

For this iteration, I am happy to sit on the sidelines and watch the others on the bleeding edge, if you will. Right now SD via DVD is enough for me.

To each his own.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 02:43 AM   #18
angelneo
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: afk
I am more inclined towards blu-ray for now, as I am intending to get a PS3, however, I have not made any purchases yet and I am still waiting for more signs about where this format war is going.
__________________
This is good, isn't it?
angelneo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 09:23 AM   #19
mduser63
macrumors 68040
 
mduser63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Regarding HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, both have their benefits. Personally, I like the HD-DVD concept because you can play your current SD DVDs.
What is this all about? Blu-Ray players can play regular DVDs too. Just because HD-DVD has "DVD" in the name doesn't somehow make it more closely related technologically to DVD...
__________________
27" 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac, 12 GB RAM
2.3 GHz Retina MacBook Pro
12" 1.33 GHz Superdrive PowerBook G4, 1.25 GB RAM
iPhone 5, iPad 3, etc.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 09:48 AM   #20
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduser63 View Post
What is this all about? Blu-Ray players can play regular DVDs too. Just because HD-DVD has "DVD" in the name doesn't somehow make it more closely related technologically to DVD...
From Wikipedia:

"While it is not compulsory for manufacturers, the Blu-ray Disc Association recommends that Blu-ray Disc drives should be capable of reading standard DVDs for backward compatibility."

I remember seeing some Blu-Ray players that could not play DVDs. But that may only be here in Japan.

I know that LG makes a player that can play both Blu-Ray, HD-DVD as well as standard DVDs. I would imagine that most companies will go this same route where they have one player that plays all formats.

As I said before, I'll wait until the dust settles.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 01:37 PM   #21
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603
 
2nyRiggz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
I have a PS3 and all the other bluray player I've seen had regular DVD support so I haven't seen one player without that option...I guess the manufactures see as a must to include(wise decision)

I've seen the quality of both and they look exactly the same with bluray offering more storeage space which is a plus.....whoever wins I'll support




Bless
__________________
I take everything to Jah in prayer
2ny, do something righteous with your life..
2nyRiggz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:12 PM   #22
jng
macrumors 65816
 
jng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajet View Post
You might as well leave the stadium, get in your car and drive away before the fans start breaking bottles over heads in anger.

I'm of the opinion that neither format will win. It's crazy expensive compared to regular DVD, the titles are limited, the gains are minimal. And to see any gain at all, you'd have to buy all new equipment, including a new television. I don't think the vast majority of people are going to buy into the hype because current DVDs are good enough for most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
The prices of the players will come down. The players are only in their first or second generations. I think we'll see HD-DVD players for under $200 within a few years (if they're still around) and I'm not sure about Blu-ray.

The real problem is that only 30% of US households even own an HDTV (source). I predict that the format war will soon stagnate because nobody cares that much about it. Until the price of a decently sized HDTV comes down significantly the market for these players will soon be saturated.
Right. I too am waiting. But mostly, I don't have an HD TV nor do I feel the need to buy one right now.

Having just graduated from college, I don't think it's anything I really need. I don't watch much tv in the first place (I also don't have cable) and if I were to buy a TV, I would need to add HD service, which is rather annoying.

I don't think HD TVs are that expensive. I'd love to buy one, but it's also not very high on my priority list. My current tv does the job fine.

Actually I don't even use my tv often. It just sits in the living room. I watch more movies on an ACD now.
__________________
Cheers 2.33 C2D 15.4" MacBook Pro 2GB RAM
jng is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:23 PM   #23
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos86 View Post
it's all up to the porn industry.

they decided on vhs over betamax, and that ended that argument.
That was because VHS was cheaper. If betamax was cheaper they would of gone there. Time will tell who wins, depends on the number of movies.
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fight Fight Zombanite! An RPG/RTS with Randomly Generated Elements LUKEFM iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Nov 23, 2013 12:09 PM
choppy blu ray playback on some blu rays? iOrbit Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Jan 2, 2013 05:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC