Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 8, 2007, 03:04 AM   #1
wizwaz3
macrumors 6502a

Reformat iBook with iMac's boot disks?

The iMac forum is clogged with news of the new iMac, so I decided to post my problem here: I just bought a friends old iBook G3 for writing and surfing the web. It's slow and full of his junk. He doesn't have the original disks, so I was wondering, would the install disks from my Intel iMac work on it?

*Mods, please delete this thread.*
Old Aug 8, 2007, 03:11 AM   #2
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
lol i dont think it will let you install. unless you ahve bought a seperate copy os tiger or wateva OS u want to install the installer wont let you. the disks that come with the computer are made for that computer only.
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 03:23 AM   #3
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
No, they won't work. The iMac's disks only include the intel version of Mac OS X and therefore will not work on a PPC Mac.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 02:48 PM   #4
wizwaz3
macrumors 6502a

Awe man! Oh well, thanks for all your help! :-) Is there a way to order them from Apple at least?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 05:34 PM   #5
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
im pretty sure (about 80% sure) that any tiger version you buy by iteself from apple or the shops will be a ppc install aswell as a intel install, so id you are willing to fork out money u can put it on. i would email someone though first as im not positive.
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:28 PM   #6
dacreativeguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
im pretty sure (about 80% sure) that any tiger version you buy by iteself from apple or the shops will be a ppc install aswell as a intel install, so id you are willing to fork out money u can put it on. i would email someone though first as im not positive.
All retail versions of Tiger (black discs and box) are for PPC only. All Intel macs come with Tiger so there is no reason to sell an Intel version.
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Royale w/cheese
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwaz3 View Post
Awe man! Oh well, thanks for all your help! :-) Is there a way to order them from Apple at least?
For the most part, they will not, One guy once told me you can, he then put me on hold and we got disconnected. I called right back, another man told me that my powerbook was too old (last revision 12" 1.5ghz, right before full intel transition) and I could not get them anymore. I explained about the last guy, he told me he was wrong. I gave up, albeit too easily, after that.

The current version of Tiger retail is only PPC. Kind of weird that is not a Universal Binary right? But what if a bought a broken core solo intel mini from ebay, fixed it and wanted to reload tiger? Would Apple then be able to give me the disks?
Royale w/cheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:45 PM   #8
dacreativeguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale w/cheese View Post
For the most part, they will not, One guy once told me you can, he then put me on hold and we got disconnected. I called right back, another man told me that my powerbook was too old (last revision 12" 1.5ghz, right before full intel transition) and I could not get them anymore. I explained about the last guy, he told me he was wrong. I gave up, albeit too easily, after that.

The current version of Tiger retail is only PPC. Kind of weird that is not a Universal Binary right? But what if a bought a broken core solo intel mini from ebay, fixed it and wanted to reload tiger? Would Apple then be able to give me the disks?
The retail versions of the OS are meant for upgrading from a previous OS. So the retail Tiger is for people upgrading from Panther. The intel macs were released with Tiger, so there is no reason (or market) for selling Intel Tiger upgrade packages. If you lost your gray install discs, it's a support issue. Call apple and they will sell you replacements.
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:29 PM   #9
anothermacaddic
macrumors member

I know there is a company on ebay who sells restore cd's for all different types of macs. I bought restore cd's for my powerbook for 10.4 and when they arrived they were for imac. I called them up and said wth is going on? You sent me the wrong stuff and they said use em and i did and it worked beautifully. If i remember correctly they were less than 20 dollars.
anothermacaddic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs