Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Hey I hope you guys(and ladies) can help me out.
Okay the plan is to buy a new 17" Macbook Pro with all the bells and whistles in about a weeks time. I can't wait til Oct for Leopard to be bundled because I can get an education grant at the Hospital i work in to subsidise the cost by 1900 euro but I need to do it soon.
Thing is iLife will come with my new Macbook Pro but as soon as Leopards out I'm updating.
How do i keep my "free" iLife 08 which i will have paid good money for at the time of purchasing the computer? I did a search amongst the threads and couldn't find anything to answer my question properly.
I really want to update to Leopard and I have no problem paying the 129 euro. My concern comes from the fact that because iLife is bundled on the OS X install discs, i might need to buy iLife 08 again after the Leopard update.
Any suggestions or tales of past experience would be really appreciated.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
you will not need to buy iLife '08 again. the Leopard install disc will not have iLife on it but the Tiger restore discs you get with your new computer will. when you upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, everything will remain the same except the OS: upgrading to Leopard will not wipe your hard drive clean of everything (unless you specifically choose to do that).

no need to worry!

Gaius

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
What if he does a clean install? Is it possible to install iLife 08 on a Mac with Leopard from the Tiger restore disk?

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Thanks for the quick replies.
Thats the thing you see, ever since 10.2 i've never "upgraded" an OS. I always do a clean install because I think it gets rid of any garbage on my system.
I don't know if a clean install will let me keep iLife 08 though. Thats my question. Can i use the discs bundled with the macbook to just install the iLife 08 packages.?
Any thoughts?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
What if he does a clean install? Is it possible to install iLife 08 on a Mac with Leopard from the Tiger restore disk?

yes it will be possible to reinstall ilife once the upgrade is done if a clean install is done.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
you will not need to buy iLife '08 again. the Leopard install disc will not have iLife on it but the Tiger restore discs you get with your new computer will. when you upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, everything will remain the same except the OS: upgrading to Leopard will not wipe your hard drive clean of everything (unless you specifically choose to do that).

no need to worry!

Wow! I never knew that,
once again Mac proves itself greater than PC

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
yes it will be possible to reinstall ilife once the upgrade is done if a clean install is done.

Thats what i wanted to hear. Sorry now to draw the matter out but can you tell me how exactly that will be done?
So do i update to Leopard, then insert the 10.4 disc that came with the macbook and somehow install iLife 08?
Will the system not tell me that I can't install an older version of OSX and lock me out?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
well as i understand it, there are two possible ways (maybe more) to achieve what you want to happen.

you want to do a clean install of Leopard. in scenario one, you'll do just that. install Leopard and in the process wipe everything out. then download an app called Pacifist that will let you extract the iLife '08 files from the Tiger restore DVDs. Pacifist is not free, though.

secondly, when you are ready to upgrade to Leopard, do a clean install from your Tiger restore DVDs. then just do an archive and install of Leopard - no clean install.

neither is ideal. but without the iLife DVD, i can't think of another method.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
well as i understand it, there are two possible ways (maybe more) to achieve what you want to happen.

you want to do a clean install of Leopard. in scenario one, you'll do just that. install Leopard and in the process wipe everything out. then download an app called Pacifist that will let you extract the iLife '08 files from the Tiger restore DVDs. Pacifist is not free, though.

secondly, when you are ready to upgrade to Leopard, do a clean install from your Tiger restore DVDs. then just do an archive and install of Leopard - no clean install.

neither is ideal. but without the iLife DVD, i can't think of another method.

Does Pacifist work on iLife apps? I read somewhere that installation errors occurred when trying to install the extracted iLife apps. Anyone have any experience with this?

Apple sells a $10 iLife update disc (http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/) for users who buy new Macs after 8/7/7 that do not have iLife 08 pre-installed. That disc would do exactly what OP wants to do, but I don't know if Apple will sell you this disc if you already have iLife 08 on the system recovery discs.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Whenever I update to a new release of OS X, I first use SuperDuper to clone my system disk to a firewire disk. After I do a clean install, I use the Migration Assistant to restore my applications, user directories, setting etc. from the firewire drive. This will bring over the iLife apps, as well.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I am a little confused-If I am going to be getting leopard when it arrives, is there any reason for me to buy either app right now, since it would be included on the discs that I would get with Leopard? Or am I mistaken by this?

Nick12945

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Michigan
I am a little confused-If I am going to be getting leopard when it arrives, is there any reason for me to buy either app right now, since it would be included on the discs that I would get with Leopard? Or am I mistaken by this?

When you buy leopard, it will only come with the OS. You would need to buy the apps too.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The simple answer: Do a straight upgrade to Leopard, exactly the way Apple intended you to do it. This is by far the fastest, easiest, and least disruptive method. You'd have to invent a reason for doing it any other way. I haven't heard a good one yet.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
so basically the only two ways to get iLife/iWork are to either buy them retail or buy a new mac is that correct?

If you buy a new Mac, you get the current version of iLife and a demonstration version of iWork. You have to pay for both future upgrades to iLife and to continue using iWork after the introduction period expires.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
If you buy a new Mac, you get the current version of iLife and a demonstration version of iWork. You have to pay for both future upgrades to iLife and to continue using iWork after the introduction period expires.

thanks for clearing that up-looks like i will be trying out iWork before I buy it-I likely wont get the iLife update since I dont really use many of the apps

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The Leopard upgrade you're going to buy will come on a DVD that will not have iLife included on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.