Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcifanatic05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Does anyone know if timeline view still exists in the new version of iMovie? I've watched all of the iMovie tutorials on Apple's website and while there is a button that looks like it could be the timeline view button (near the audio adjustment and crop buttons), that view is never demonstrated. I hope isn't gone because if it is, I will be severely upset.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Why they take effects.

iMovie 08 is a completely new application, not an enhancement to iMovie HD (06). It looks like the cut some familiar features in order to 1) get it to consumers as soon as possible and 2)make movie creation even easier. I loved iMovie 06, but it was starting to look very intimidating for some newbies.

I expect those effects and more transitions will return in future releases. If you want more than one audio layer, you'll need score your movie in Garageband or stick with iMovie 06.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
So you can't do any of the audio editing that you could before? Like fading audio in certain areas to allow a voice over to be heard?

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
So you can't do any of the audio editing that you could before? Like fading audio in certain areas to allow a voice over to be heard?

Correct. you get one audio layer in addition to the native audio in the video file. You have very limited control over what you can do with it. No manual "ducking" for instance. At least if there is a way, I can't see how to do it.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Correct. you get one audio layer in addition to the native audio in the video file. You have very limited control over what you can do with it. No manual "ducking" for instance. At least if there is a way, I can't see how to do it.

Wow, that's very disappointing. Looks like I'll be staying with iMovie '06 as I play around with the audio a lot in my projects. Too bad they had to "dumb down" iMovie.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Definitely sticking with iMovie '06 after hearing this. :eek:

+1 the audio feature is key for me and my friends. I played around for a few mins with 08 at the store today and I was dissapointed, it looks a little more confusing(coming from 06) and cheaper.

btw this is kind of ot but is it possible to have both imovie 06 and 08 installed on the same machine with out interfearing with each other? If so how can I do this.

t1937r0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
When you install iMovie '08, if you already have iMovie HD (06)
the installation process moves the iMovie HD application into
/Applications/iMovie (previous version)/iMovie HD.app

And as far as I can tell, they do coexist pretty peacefully.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Wow, I'm not up on all of iMovie's features (I work more with FCP), but when I have futzed around with stuff in iMovie I've always used the timeline view...it's the standard way you edit video if you want to do anything complex in almost any program.

The lack of volume control sounds to me like surefire way that even more videos will come out of iMovie with the horrifying: music playing over main video track with audio disabled -> cutaway with random ambient (cars passing? people talking?) audio on full volume over music -> back to music' travesty of editing that happens all too often already. Gah.

I don't really like the 'automated moviemaking' direction apple is taking things.

Jan 30, 2006
I don't really like the 'automated moviemaking' direction apple is taking things.

I think they want people to buy FCE.

But really, if someone at Apple tough FCE or FCP totally replaces iMovie, they are wrong. iMovie is great for making small movies of your family vacation with cool themes or some other event where you don't want to use FC.

What I really want to hear about is iDVD. Did it improved a lot?

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Don't forget THEMES! They were so classy compared to motion graphics in competing apps... they made my school projects blow everyone else's out of the water! :)

And now... they're GONE. Not to mention that my computer is apparantly .1 GHz too slow for the new iMovie...

I think Apple made some very good choices with this new iMovie, but they seemed to throw out the old for no good reason whatsoever. A timeline view with two audio layers is perfectly compatible with the new video library/skimming/easy selecting features that make the workflow so much smoother now. Why not include the best of both worlds?

bigmac7

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
That is very dissapointing to here that Imovie has been "dummed down". I love the new features, but I dont think they had to take out themes, or timeline. Themes made movies really cool. I think people new to movie editing could of easily used a timeline.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
it's the standard way you edit video if you want to do anything complex in almost any program.

Exactly. But iMovie isn't about doing anything complex. It's about making it a simple task for anyone to try out and share their movies quickly. It became an intimidating app where only people who had the technical know how could create a movie in it anymore. Now it's something anyone can do, but still do it well.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
Exactly. But iMovie isn't about doing anything complex. It's about making it a simple task for anyone to try out and share their movies quickly. It became an intimidating app where only people who had the technical know how could create a movie in it anymore. Now it's something anyone can do, but still do it well.
The other iMovies had an option... storyboard or timeline. That was was so great. For simple editing and novices, storyboard was all they needed. Timelines was great for those who wanted a littl more control. Was it REALLY that difficult for them not to add a simple button for timeline?
My opinion based on just what I have seen online... iMovie 08 has POTENTIAL, but needs to include some of the features of iMovie6

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
This screen shot suggests to me that timeline and clip views have been cleverly combined. Notice how clips seem to be "merged" together in groups, as if they were on a timeline. Can anyone with iMovie '08 verify or deny this? I don't really get what I'm seeing here.

supreeze.jpg

EDIT: Unless that's just one single clip with lots of preview frames.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
This screen shot suggests to me that timeline and clip views have been cleverly combined. Notice how clips seem to be "merged" together in groups, as if they were on a timeline. Can anyone with iMovie '08 verify or deny this? I don't really get what I'm seeing here.

View attachment 81969

EDIT: Unless that's just one single clip with lots of preview frames.

what you are seeing at the top left is three seperate clips, the green outline is the background music thats as good of a timeline as it gets

themog

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
imovie 06 can be downloaded direct from apple

Was wondering where the timeline had gone myself and was obviously very upset to see that it had been removed. Found out that you can download imovie HD which was released with ilife 06, here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

i thought this would solve the problem, but the timeline viewer seems to be missing here too? i have no idea why apple would get rid of such a useful feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.