Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Source

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
I've been waiting a year for them to update them - they are very old technology now! ;)

Are they still selling well, so they see no reason to update them or do they have too many still in stock, so they need to get rid of those first?

When will we see one with iSight and HDMI support!?

Toknee

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
NYC-The Big Apple
I would say that the biggest update they will need to make will be HDCP on the DVI port.

Also LED Backlighting on all the screens would be nice.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Waiting a year? Wow, I bet you wish now that you'd just gone ahead and bought one all that time ago :p

The ACD's certainly don't feel like 'old technology'. While I would welcome updates to, what I consider to be, the worlds most beautiful monitor, I don't think there are many reasons not to buy. I mean, features aside, they're LCD panels in aluminium casing... very good ones at that.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I don't really see the point of having an iSight. Pro users probably wouldn't have as much need for an iSight as the iMac / Macbook users and they already have it. More connectivity options would certainly be welcome though.

Despite the fact that ergonomically they're quite hopeless I quite like the Apple monitors. For the most part, at home I actually do things the right way around - Apple monitor, Dell computer :p

Source

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
... at home I actually do things the right way around - Apple monitor, Dell computer :p

Haha - funny :D

Yeah - I do wish I'd bought them earlier this year - I'm thinking of investing in a few Mac Pros for my new company but I simply can't see me doing that without them updating the current line up. Yes, they look absolutely beautiful from a distance, but in all group test reviews of similar displays, Apple gets average scores at best.

They were the leading monitors when they came out, don't get me wrong! But now they seems like the great grandads of display sector.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
I am very tempted to by a ACD because i need more desktop space on my MBP.

But becuase Steve mentioned a while back about everything moving to LED I thought I would wait a bit.

Is the new iMac LED backlit?

russell.h

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Why would you want an LED backlit desktop monitor? Sure it will save power, but like maybe a few dollars/year worth.

The only time I would consider buying ACDs for a business is if you consider it worth the tremendous premium you pay for the appearance of one. In other words you might put one on the desk out front where customers can see it. If they aren't visible to customers then the only reason to get an ACD would be if for some reason you are willing to pay a tremendous premium to give your offices (or whatever your layout is) that "special look".

Otherwise get ViewSonics or something, they mostly all use the same panels anyway (Apple included last time I checked). If you can do it, get them from Costco. If you are buying a lot of monitors you are bound to get a dead pixel or two, and if you buy from Costco they will give you a full refund (including shipping) with no questions asked.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it'll be awhile before they go LED as there are no readily available panels for anything that size.

Toknee

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
NYC-The Big Apple
The LED would just be one of the upgrades that could be done to the ACD.

My old Dell 2405FPW after waking from sleep, takes a bit longer to brighten up that when it was new, it has to do with the flourescent back lighting. I'm sure my nice new 30" ACD will be doing thes same in a bit.

MacBook Jack

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
i decided it was time to live in the now - ordered a 23" ACD.

Educational discount the way! £528

Dell's are at a similar price for the 24".

ViewSonics... Ehhh... Hadn't thot of that one! Althougth there are certain specifics that appeal to me about the acd (it is plain as pasta, no buttons on the front, has firewire/usb on it for my desk top bits and bobs)

russell.h

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I don't know if Dell's Prices vary for other countries, but a dell 24" is currently $569, which if the exchange rate I found is right is about 285 pounds (no idea how to make the symbol). For comparison of US prices the 23" ACD is $899.

Still, I'm not even going to try to deny that the ACD is way sexier than the Dell, and if you are willing to pay 57% extra (or whatever the difference is over there) for that then by all means enjoy it!

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
The ACDs do not offer enough flexibility. They are slightly overpriced. The panel tech is beginning to lag behind. Not to mention the image persistence, pink cast and sleep issues. PVA/MVA have made considerable leaps. IPS has had some advances as well.

There are better displays at way better prices that offer great color, viewing angles, and speed. You don't get the aluminum of course. I used to care, and part of me still does. But I realize there are better options and some of them look quite good. And I think I prefer a black bezel too.

Unless the next revision makes a considerable leap, the major one being more inputs. I will buy elsewhere. And if you want a real display for editing, Eizo, NEC and Lacie are the way to go anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.