Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I dont see any special effects in iMovie '08 like iMovie HD had. The only buttons I see are Sound, Photo, Text, and Transistions.

I know that you can have iMovie HD installed if you want, but I like the new features in iMovie '08. (very easy to edit/use)

Note, I also had Slick movie effects installed. I did the upgrade for iLife, and now I dont see Slick listed anymore. Anyone know if this was uninstalled, or will I have to manually go find and delete the install?

EDIT:
I just found the link on Slicks website. It looks like iMovie '08 doesnt support external plugins, so Slick only works on older versions. I hope Apple changes this. Ive only played wit iMovie '08 for 15 min, and its so much easier to use than iMovie HD.
http://www.geethree.com/slick/imovie8.html

Alistair1990

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2007
Norbiton, Greater London, UK
Same here, I used the video effects in iMovie HD in a lot of my projects however these seem to have been omitted from the update. I can just use iMovie HD then import to iMovie 08 but it is still a bit annoying.

Alistair

Retired
May 16, 2006
So the $300 some I spent in plugins is for nothing if I use iMovie '08?

Good to know since I haven't bought iLife '08 yet.

You can keep both iMovieHD and iMovie'08 on the same mac, and use iMovieHD when you need your plugins...

jacko0

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
You can keep both iMovieHD and iMovie'08 on the same mac, and use iMovieHD when you need your plugins...
08-09-2007 03:44 PM

What about it you have loaded the video into Imovie 8, Imovie HD will now not be able to read it.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
$$$$$$?

Quick question:
Why would you spend 300 dollars on an amateur video editing software, when for 300 bucks you could get Final Cut Express that already has all of your little plug-ins?

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Quick question:
Why would you spend 300 dollars on an amateur video editing software, when for 300 bucks you could get Final Cut Express that already has all of your little plug-ins?

Question:

Where do you see iLife 08 for $300??

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Question:

Where do you see iLife 08 for $300??

I don't understand why people put so much money into an amateur NLE. Spend the money, and get something better like Final Cut Express, or maybe, just maybe, even Pro. As easy to use, yet more functionality. Plus, for like 5 months, FCE was on sale for 100 bucks. Almost as cheap as iMovie.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I don't understand why people put so much money into an amateur NLE. Spend the money, and get something better like Final Cut Express, or maybe, just maybe, even Pro. As easy to use, yet more functionality. Plus, for like 5 months, FCE was on sale for 100 bucks. Almost as cheap as iMovie.

When they add the skimming feature and easy editing to FCE or Pro, I will look into it. I love these new features in iMovie. If you havent used it, you will be suprised how easy/nice it is.

What you also have to understand is Pros can use iMovie for quick stuff. I've heard a number of people state that they use iMovie for things they need to get done quickly, and leave Final Cut for the more detailed stuff.

Yarramalong

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2004
Berlin
Reinvention of the wheel?

Same here, I used the video effects in iMovie HD in a lot of my projects however these seem to have been omitted from the update. I can just use iMovie HD then import to iMovie 08 but it is still a bit annoying.

Alistair

Keep iMovie 6 on your computer. You can use the plugins to produce clips to import in your movie.
Yarramalong :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.