Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
What exactly is different about the 'new' might mouse? I just recieved the 'older; mighty mouse a few days ago. I keep looking at the pictures and features of the old v. the new and they look the same. Should I return mine (still within return period) and get the new one?

Kan-O-Z

rhildinger

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
There does appear to be a new(er) mighty mouse available. The old model number was MA272LL/A, but the Apple store is showing a new model number MB111LL/A. From the outside it doesn't appear that anything has changed, but maybe they've updated the internals a la the Airport Extreme's gigabit upgrade. I'll probably stop by on my way home from work and pick one up, just to see if anything has changed. Maybe they fixed the issues with right-clicking.

Raska

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
NJ
I posted in another thread about how I supposidly received the new Mighty Mouse, and it feels and acts exactly like the old one, except the side buttons are now off-white.

rhildinger

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
Have you been able to use it long enough to tell if right-clicking works (or doesn't work) any better than the old model?

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
There does appear to be a new(er) mighty mouse available. The old model number was MA272LL/A, but the Apple store is showing a new model number MB111LL/A. From the outside it doesn't appear that anything has changed, but maybe they've updated the internals a la the Airport Extreme's gigabit upgrade. I'll probably stop by on my way home from work and pick one up, just to see if anything has changed. Maybe they fixed the issues with right-clicking.

I actually had a replacement to my wireless MM (under warranty) for a tracking error a few months ago. I haven't had a single right clicking problem with the replacement (and almost constant one with the original one from December. That said, maybe there are still some modifications to the new one released this week.

cheers.

Raska

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
NJ
rhildinger said:
Have you been able to use it long enough to tell if right-clicking works (or doesn't work) any better than the old model?

Personally I think it's a lot better than the old one. Every single time i go to right click it does without issue. I'm not sure if they moved the side buttons or not (I don't think they did), but for some reason they are much easier to hit now.

rhildinger

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
Hmmm... I'm now much more excited about this latest mighty mouse version. I've had three different ones all of which exhibited right-clicking sensing problems after a couple of weeks of use. Maybe I'll give 'em one last try...

Raska

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
NJ
Hmmm... I'm now much more excited about this latest mighty mouse version. I've had three different ones all of which exhibited right-clicking sensing problems after a couple of weeks of use. Maybe I'll give 'em one last try...

Yeah I was hesitant at first after reading about the issues with it. I was lucky enough to get the new version, which I didn't know even existed until I had to call Apple about my MBP and iLife 08. Rule of thumb: If the side buttons are white, it should be free of plight :D

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
That sounds great that they have a MM revision. Mine has completely taken a crap. I did the stupid "rub vigorously on paper" method to clear out the gunk, a piece of the inside fell out. Now the roller sinks in deeper than it should and is more difficult to scroll than ever before. The right clicking is still an issue, but not near as bad as the scrolling right now. I've had this mouse since March, maybe the store will let me have a replacement.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Just looked to my mouse's bottom, it says model no: A1197. Is it new or old?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
all i know is the replacement mightymouse i received has all white casing and not the grey side buttons like my original one did
A1152

the side buttons and scroll wheel seem more in tune.
ive broken it in for about a month now.
and it still "feels new"

unlike my older mouse which seemed more capable of getting gunk stuck in it (even though i kept a strictly sanitary work area)

id like to see a more wider and less taller mouse, i know kensington makes one that has all the same buttons and even a 360 degree wheel, itd be perfect to have an aluminum casing and plastic siding with a few extra assignable buttons.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I have one that says A1197 on the bottom, and MB111ZM/A on the box. Don't know if it's new or old, but it has an all-white body (no grey buttons). It's wireless.

I've had some issues with right-clicking: if I wake the notebook up from sleep, sometimes I can't right-click until I go to mouse preferences and expand the right combo-box (even if I don't change anything). Is this the same problem as the old one had? Should I get a replacement?

TBH, I like the grey side buttons more. And I don't like the massive gap between the side buttons and the rest of the case. Apple products don't usually have holes in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.