Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Kandews
macrumors newbie

Unhappy iBook Boot/Locking up problems. PLEASE help.

I have an iBook G4 (1.25g memory and 1ghz processor) running Tiger. I have never had any problems with my iBook in the past and now it seems the second my warranty expires i do.

I was using it earlier today and the entire thing just locked up for the first time ever and little lines started appearing on the screen. I turned it off and rebooted it and it froze on the Grey screen, i repeated and it keeps doing the same things. It actually loaded a few times and then promptly froze.

I tried booting from the CD and it freezes right on the screen to select your language(if it gets that far). I went into applejack/single user (which runs fine) and repaired disk/repaired permissions/cleaned up system files/ and cleaned up virtual memory. I also used the fsck -y check disk which I'm assuming is the same as typing in 'applejack' and then selecting 1 (But I thought I would use it anyway). The first time i ran fsck it said it changed a system file. I then ran it again and it said that the HD seemed okay. Assuming that fixed the problem i restarted my computer and it froze...again.

Any ideas? Or is there a way to reformat from single user? There is nothing I am worried about losing I just need my computer back.
Kandews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:35 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Boot from the OSX discs and use Disk Utility to reformat the drive there, then try the reinstall. I'm not guarantying it'll work though.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs