Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
is the magnet used to hold apple remote still there?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nope. It's goneski. I guess the aluminium case would sufficiently shield any magnet underneath it so it wouldn't work any way. Bit of a bugger though - it was a neat feature with the old iMacs.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
I guess in a sense I won't miss the magnet on the side since I usually leave it on the headboard of my bed. But still, I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. :)

Now we will have massive amounts of "i lost my remote" threads in numbers of biblical proportions. The end is neigh!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
How long is it before Steve introduces "really cool" Apple Remote lanyards? :D

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
THere was a thin strip of tape on the left of the imac after i removed the glass cover. Thats what im using to hold the remote, works like a charm.....for now at least.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Glass being hold by a magnet ?

Being that Aluminium is not ferromagnetic, it does not interfere the magnetic field. That is not the reason why they removed the magnet...

BTW, since when glass can be hold by a magnet ?, Maybe the galss used to shield cars againt bullets... but I doubt they will use that in the iMac, no ?, may be it has a metallic frame (iron alloy) ?

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
BTW, since when glass can be hold by a magnet ?, Maybe the galss used to shield cars againt bullets... but I doubt they will use that in the iMac, no ?, may be it has a metallic frame (iron alloy) ?
I guess there are metal strips glued to the back (on the edges, of course). All it takes is a decent suction cup to remove the glass.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Wouldn't the white remote look a bit odd with the new model? Maybe if the remote came in black?

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
Well? There ya go. :)

I figured if it was strong enough to hold the glass on, it should be able to secure the remote.

so apple just moved the location of the magnet for the remote, im not sure if you can stick the remote along any portion of the black border, i guess putting it there is easier to get then with it along the side of the imac.

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Was at the Apple store today - the "genius" and I tried all over the iMac to get the remote to "stick". Not working. Ended with several sales people and 2 genius's trying to get the remote to stick and then they tried them on several machines. If there is a magnet on the new iMacs to hold - it will take more than a genius to find:)

Therese

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Nope. It's goneski. I guess the aluminium case would sufficiently shield any magnet underneath it so it wouldn't work any way. Bit of a bugger though - it was a neat feature with the old iMacs.

The magnetic permeability of aluminium is 1. The same as air (and most plastics). I think Apple decided that the remote just didn't look right sitting on the iMac.

jimsoff

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
You can get it to stick on the black border... Just not very securely.

I'd like to know where on the imac you got it to stick? It doesn't work on my 24 inch.

People need to stop pretending that it'll stick to the imac. Just get over it. It's not that big of a deal. Damn.

Sorry, just a bit heated about how everyone was all "OMGWTFBBQ THERE ISNT A MAGNET FOR THE REMOTE". Jeez. I just put it on the stand for the imac, also where I keep my pen and sticky notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.