Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
So here's the question. Is it possible to gut an imac G4, and put a mac mini in it.

The reason i ask, is i kinda have an unhealthy obsession with the imac G4, and would love to stick a mac mini in there so its as current as possible. Or does anybody know of any Mod company that would do it?

This actually is a very serious question which i would love to have answered with a resounding yes!

Thanks

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
well, depending on how far you're willing to take it, anything is possible. However, I think the 6.5" sides may have difficulty fitting in the 10" diameter base.

Also, rigging the current display connectors can be very tricky, especially due to DVI output on the back of the mini. I think someone pulled off a VGA pinout once, but converting that back to DVI will take an obscene amount of effort.

And lets not even go into lining up the optical drive...lol

So yeah, you could probably do it, and I have thought of doing it myself, but it would take a lot of time and effort. I'd love to see one done though, so I 100% encourage you to do it!

good luck!

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I have heard of several people trying this particular project, but have yet to hear of anyone successfully completing it. The problems seem to arise when you are trying to connect the mini to the iMacs built in display. Someone on the boards was trying this last year (IIRC), and they had a tough time getting the mini to fit.

deasine

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2007
oh please do it!!! I would love to see that and may inspire me to do it too! I just love the iMac G4, just not the specs. =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.