Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene

Old Aug 3, 2003, 01:00 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple Legal requested MacMegaSite's Panther Screenshots to ...

Category: Mac Websites
Link: Apple Legal requested MacMegaSite's Panther Screenshots to be removed.

Posted on MacBytes.com
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2003, 01:31 AM   #2
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Oh that is LAME!

Comeone, besides only allowing developers to get in the action now they are forced to remove remove simple pictures.

They don't like the press or something?

They showed features alot better then apple did, screw that.

Apple Legal should go after buymusic before Panther Pics!
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2003, 09:45 AM   #3
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
maybe apple legal is just warming up! you never know what they will do next. hopefully they will g after buymusic.com because of the commercials.
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2003, 11:44 AM   #4
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Powerbook G5 Send a message via Yahoo to Powerbook G5
I personally think all these screen shots and comments I have seen on various sites about Pather have only fuel my and other's desire to upgrade much more than anything else has. I've read many comments from people after seeing screen shots who claim they are feeling more inclined to upgrade after each picture after seeing how much is being put into this next version. Isn't this better for Apple? All this free publicity and pent up desire for their new OS cannot be a bad thing, that's for sure.
Powerbook G5 is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2003, 01:18 PM   #5
Pale Fire
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Pale Fire
I think the current situation as I understand it isn't too bad: People violate their NDA and send pictures, Apple requests them to be removed as they are in violation of previously mentioned NDA.

In the process a fair amount of rumour gets leaked, but that's it. This way Apple avoids a lot of angry users who dislikes that their favorite feature isn't included or is changed or should be done better or whatever.

Look at the amount of meaningless complaints and feature requests that Hyatt got on his Surfin Safari site for example. And as if that wasn't enough people started to submit bugs for the leaked versions which I can imagine wasn't very helpful at all.

I think this way we get the best of both worlds. We get the rumours and Apple can still change features without having to answer to anyone.
Pale Fire is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2003, 01:45 PM   #6
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Well, it's Apple's choice whether or not they feel that they want those pictures removed, I understand completely. I just think having those photos around help to get people frothing at the mouth for the new version of OS X, which can only lead to a good sales week when it does come out. It's just like when screenshots for future videogames get released and leave you wanting it sooooooo bad until it finally comes out. Those pics sort of serve as bait for Apple to reel in when it is released and net all those sales.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 04:09 PM   #7
Pale Fire
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Pale Fire
On the other hand, having lots of pictures and stuff already out, makes it harder for Apple PR to make something that doesn't seem like old news to everyone.

I'm not disputing your point. It's just that removing the pictures (and sometimes articles) might be the "safe bet" for Apple. Sometimes free circulation of screenshots might have been better, sometimes worse, but I can't really fault them for trying to take control over information of yet-to-be-released products.

And besides, if all those screenshots circulate microsoft can get the blueprints for their next update of Windows even earlier.
Pale Fire is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2003, 04:24 PM   #8
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Good point, in that case, Apple needs to release some screenshots of Mac OS DOS, then perhaps Mircosoft will copy and the next version of Windows XP Longhorn will be a full 64 bit DOS OS
Old Aug 3, 2003, 05:09 PM   #9
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
If Apple lets certain violations of it's NDA stand, it weakens the weight of the NDA, and puts Apple at risk of more serious violations happening in the future. I think it's not only warranted but wise for Apple to persue any means necessary to repair the breaches of contract that occur...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2003, 09:57 PM   #10
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
well, i think that putting the screenshots and letting people have the beta is a way for M$ to get ideas sooner, so that's not a big point. i think if apple were to put more pictures on thier site of pather, then everyone would be happy.
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:35 PM   #11
ump3
macrumors member

How long do these sort of thing (whatever they may be) stay online for before one of Apples people find it and ask for it 2 be removed?
ump3 is offline   0
Old Aug 23, 2003, 02:20 PM   #12
themadchemist
macrumors 68030

Apple Legal has never really understood that most useful of concepts. It is best summed up by an Ancient Chinese Proverb.

"Aaaancient Chinese proverb SAY! Free advertising make fruit-named company veeeeeery happy and muuuch moooore PROFITABLE!"

Caution. Use emphasis and extended spelling with care. Could cause severe damage to nervous system.

---------------
Bennetsaysargh: Microsoft doesn't have to surf enthusiasts' sites to get the lowdown on Panther. Don't you think that it probably has its sources anyway? I'm sure that when Microsoft Office division gets their hands on the developers' beta, they just accidentally let the OS division have a peak. Oh yeah, a little reverse engineering never hurt anybody, after all.

Last edited by themadchemist; Aug 23, 2003 at 02:22 PM.
themadchemist is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene