Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Douge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Princeton
I am looking for a simple image editing/creation program like Paint and I have tried a few but none have been great. I have used Seashore and Pixel, which are both okay. They are not as easy to use as Paint when copying and pasting, saving can distort the images if I don't remember to save in a particular format and they run slowly on my Macbook Pro. I tired to install GIMP but it need some driver to run it and I can't get that driver to work. Not even a Mac Genius could figure out the driver issue. Any programs you guys could recommend? Thanks.

Retired
May 16, 2006
The 'driver' is X11. Put in your install disk, use spotlight for X11 on it and install. X11 makes it not very attractive, but GIMP is still a good program, and an aquafied version is coming.

I'm using Skitch, but you need an invite...

millap

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
United Kingdom
From memory, I think that there is a drawing tool in the OpenOffice suite. It may be a bit of an overkill if you already use MS Office, but it's still worth a look.

Douge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Princeton
PosterPaint is pretty good. Thanks.

That's right about X11, that was the driver. Problem is, when I try to install it from the disk, it says its already on the computer but the program still says I need to install it. I have rebooted the computer several times an tried again but the same message appears.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
PosterPaint is pretty good. Thanks.

That's right about X11, that was the driver. Problem is, when I try to install it from the disk, it says its already on the computer but the program still says I need to install it. I have rebooted the computer several times an tried again but the same message appears.

You have to install X11 from your OSX install discs, the download version won't work.

xtn

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't used it myself, but NeoOffice (which I absolutely love) has a drawing application in it. I like NeoOffice much more than MS Office, and more than Open Office b/c it doesn't need X11 to open, and its free!

jczubach

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
northwest

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 64

Douge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Princeton
Paintbrush is pretty sweet. Nice icon too! Thanks a bunch!

I'll also look up NeoOffice but I already have MS Office.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
But not what the OP needs

my mistake. not sure why Seashore is running slowly; it runs fine on my MBP (Core Duo with 2GB RAM and OS X 10.4.10). of the Paint-like programs i've tried, i think it's best.

my apologies for the irrelevant post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.