Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:13 AM   #1
MR POTATO HEAD
macrumors newbie

Exclamation 2 Users On Ibook 1 Locked Out At 55gb Other Rapidly Running Out Of Space Help Quick

Please help i have a mac osx 10.4.8 ibook, i have had this for about a year, i created 2 user accounts, 1 for work and 1 for personal use, after i got to around 50 gb capacity of the memory used in my personal account with around 25 gb itunes files the bin on that account ceased working and i could not delete anything at all, any attempts to do so resulting in the colonel panic screen, i then started to use the other account instead and the bin worked perfectly on this, however that was around 6 months ago and now i barely have 1 gb free on this account and the ibook is becoming slightly slow and im worried i will be locked out for good if this continues, basically as i am short of money at the moment i was hoping someone here would be able to suggest a solution to unlocking the other account which is now not able to be signed into at all, and maybe the best solution for me is to reset/wipe the entire ibook and start from fresh as i am not 2 bothered about loosing the contents of the hard drive etc if it solves my problem

any help/advice would be very much appreciated

thanks in advance
MR POTATO HEAD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:17 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

IMO the best thing to do is a reinstall. I know it is a pain, but looks like you have some serious stuff going on.

Hope you have backed up along the way. If not, you might want to consider doing so once you get up and running again.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:25 AM   #3
zioxide
macrumors 603

What I would do is enable the root account. This will give you full access to the entire system so you can access the files in your locked out account. Use it to dump all of your files to an external hard drive. Once you do this, reformat and reinstall OS X. Then move your important files back.
zioxide is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs