Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
I just purchased a MAC and the salesperson recommended me not purchase a Sony camera as he said it can be difficult to use on the Mac...I was wondering if anyone else had that experience?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
My sony camera works perfectly with iPhoto, or even if I didn't want to use iPhoto, the card mounts on the desktop just like any other external drive.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
I have a Cybershot that works very well with iPhoto and Finder. In fact, I'd say it works better than my brother's Canon, because it actually mounts as an external drive, whereas the Canon stays hidden.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I have no problems with my Sony digicam. It works great in iPhoto, Lightroom, and the Finder. I have not tried any Sony software, including RAW software, but I mostly shoot JPEG.

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
no prob bob

I've never known a Mac to have problems with Plug-n-Play situations. If you plug it it, it's gonna work. Don't worry about drivers and software; just plug it into USB or Firewire and drag the photos/movies from the camera to iPhoto/iMovie.

vhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks everyone..I am brand new to the Mac world as I am officially switching over! I am very excited and have been looking to buy the Sony CyberShot...I'm glad everyone has said it should be no problem!

Marley

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Well, if you are going to be shooting any video with your camera, you might have problems importing the video files into iMovie. At least thats what happened to me... my Cybershot DSC-N1 records in a muxed MPEG video format, which means that it has interleaved audio and video tracks (they're mixed together instead of stored in separate tracks), but all i have to do before i import them to iMovie is convert them to MP4 using MPEG Streamclip. Other than that minor inconvenience, i have no problems with compatibility. Maybe that is what the salesperson was talking about.

RonJ83

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2004
SiNy
i have a cybershot t100 and there is no problems at all, you can use image capture, iphoto or just mount the device itself and take the pics off as you please.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
another vote for a sony camera working with a mac - i have an older dsc-t1 and it works fine with iphoto on my mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.