Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nalyubuites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Up until two days ago, I could visit sites like apple.com, some email sites, and some corporate sites, but every time I try to view them now, firefox immediately shows the "Page can not be displayed" page. The same thing happens in Safari.

The strange part is that my other computer (Windows) can view them with no trouble. I tried resetting the router, resetting the wireless signal, rebooting, and going through references to find something wrong, but I am stumped.

The only programs I have running are Firefox, iTunes, iChat, and Transmission once in a while (the problem occurs whether or not Transmission is running).

Does anyone else have this problem/know how to fix this?

nalyubuites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Well, this site, for one.
Most sites do work, but "corporate"-ish sites, for some reason, seem not to work in many cases.

I can connect to my web comics, forums, university sites, news sites, social networking sites, digg, etc.

But I can not connect to sites such as apple, my bank's site, mail.com, mailpuppy.com, will not work. It does not give a chance to load - it goes straight to "Page can not be displayed."

iChat disconnects randomly, as with the internet, but as far as I can tell, this seems to be somewhat normal with the Macbook Pro update. Transmission works as well.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
repair permissions and reset your PRAM

hey it fixes some problems

There's a REAL mac user speaking ;)

Open terminal and ping the sites - do you get IP addresses for them? If so, try telnetting to them on port 80 and see if you get any kind of response. Are any other computers having the same problem?

nalyubuites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
I can ping google and other sites to get ip addresses, but a site such as apple or mail.com does not get anything.

This is the only computer in the house that has this problem.

How would I go about resetting my PRAM? I repaired my permissions already.
Thanks

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Sounds like a networking issue, with DNS specifically. Go on one of your working boxes and ping a site that won't work on your MBP, like mail.com. Then go to your MBP and type in the IP address that it showed the site resolving to, instead of the domain name, and see if you can ping / browse to that. This will get us started.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Perhaps resetting Safari will help. To do it, just click Safari and then go down to "Reset Safari..." Perhaps you have a crumbled cookie:p I'm not sure if it will do anything, but you never know what's causing the problem.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I can ping google and other sites to get ip addresses, but a site such as apple or mail.com does not get anything.

This is the only computer in the house that has this problem.

How would I go about resetting my PRAM? I repaired my permissions already.
Thanks

I'd bet some APPL stock that it's a problem with the DNS settings. Compare the settings on the non-working computer to those of one working. Try swapping the DNS addresses if you were provided with a primary and secondary... If your router acts as a DNS 'repeater' (the DNS address will be that of your router) manually change your computer's DNS address(es) to those supplied by your ISP.
In likelyhood, this means if it is set to something like 192.168.x.x, find some public addresses.

I've seen some routers really do a number on DNS queries. Always keep some addresses of public DNS servers in your wallet (for the true geeks).

Finally, you can test a DNS server's response & validity in the command line by using "dig". The command is: dig @server_address fully.qualified.domainname.tld

for instance, if I want to test the server at 192.168.1.1 to see if it resolves macrumors.com, i type:
dig @192.168.1.1 macrumors.com

(Note: You only need to supply @server_address when using your non-default DNS server)

nalyubuites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
What are your IPv6 settings? And do you have any DNS defined, also in the TCP/IP pane for the adapter you're using?

My IPv6 settings are configured to "Automatically" and has an address. There is no router defined.
No DNS are defined in the TCP/IP section.

I can view these web sites in my XP bootcamp partition, but not OSX.

xxlordgold

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Richmond. VA
If you downloaded PeerGuardian to use with Transmission, that may be what's causing it. I had the exact same problem until I realized PG was running. You can either delete PG (what I did) or right click on the icon in the dock and select "Disable Filters."

Hope this helps!

nalyubuites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
If you downloaded PeerGuardian to use with Transmission, that may be what's causing it. I had the exact same problem until I realized PG was running. You can either delete PG (what I did) or right click on the icon in the dock and select "Disable Filters."

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! It seemed like a peer guardian issue, but it wasn't running - I didn't realize the filters ran regardless of whether the program was running in the background or not.

xxlordgold

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Richmond. VA
No problem! I thought the same thing, until I opened up Activity Manager and noticed pplogger and pploader were still running.

A simple uninstall was all I needed. Glad I could help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.