Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr g5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Hello Everyone, I just joined here. this looks like a great forum.

I am looking at a Powermac G4 Dual 450 MHz with 1 GB of RAM and gigabit ethernet. I plan on using it for a file sever that 5 computer will use.

It will be steaming video to the computers, sharing docs, and most importantly it will be used as the aperture library.

It needs to be fast enough to do this or the whole app will run slow. If I finished maxing out the RAM and added a SATA card will it be enough?

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
I will be doing something similar with a dual 500 g4, 1GB, gigabit. The bottleneck would be the ATA hard drive. But overall I think it will be fast enough.

When I get my Mac Pro and start working on the G4 I will let you know how it goes.

Mr g5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I will be doing something similar with a dual 500 g4, 1GB, gigabit. The bottleneck would be the ATA hard drive. But overall I think it will be fast enough.

When I get my Mac Pro and start working on the G4 I will let you know how it goes.
That is what I want to do w/ my mac pro. So you think that the CPU wont bog things down? I would get a SATA pci card

Toknee

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
NYC-The Big Apple
As suneohair stated, the biggets bottleneck that you will encounter will be the PATA drives and the IDE interface that they are connected to.

It will also be very dependent on the type of files being stored on the file server. If a majority of the files are relatively small, and you are not hosting any type of db on it, it should work fine.

Mr g5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
sorry but what is a DB?

If I use a SATA PCI card w/ a SATA drive the IED wont be a bottle neck correct?

Also I was going to leave the OS on the IED and put my data on SATA, will this slow the overall data transfer rate?

Toknee

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
NYC-The Big Apple
IED = Improvised Explosive Device, so I take it you men IDE :D

DB = data base, like SQL server, Oracle, etc..

The SATA interface and SATA drives should be fine.

It's a good idea to seperate the OS from the data drives, so you are on the right track there. Doing this will free the IDE I/O channel from having to serve the data, as well as running the OS services.

You should be fine with this setup.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
I use a single proc G4 500mhz with 1gb ram and external firewire drives and gbit ethernet. Its fast enough to stream SD to my sisters computer and HD video to my computer. All storage is stored on the FW external drives and only the OS is installed on internal drive. The unit came with a SCSI drive but the drive crapped out and i decided to just use a PATA drive.

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2005
Sure it is. If it's just going to be a headless fileserver or something like that, you should run Linux or a BSD on it, performance will be better.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
That will be a fine server, especially if you plan to run Mac OS X Server. I don't really think the processor has as much to do with the performance of a server as various other components do.

Mr g5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
That will be a fine server, especially if you plan to run Mac OS X Server. I don't really think the processor has as much to do with the performance of a server as various other components do.

will osx server run faster than the normal version of tiger?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.