Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
So does the Macbook (not pro) still have the old cam, or does it have the new one?

it's not mentioned, so I'm guessing it's not updated yet.. maybe next revision? :) This would be a reason for me to hold out, since I have a 10mbps connection to the internet.. HD webchat would be nice.. :)

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Maybe it is my imagination, but photo booth does look better on the new iMacs. It's probably photo booth downscaling causing the image to look sharper.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Maybe it is my imagination, but photo booth does look better on the new iMacs. It's probably photo booth downscaling causing the image to look sharper.

I would really like to see photo booth support the 1.3MP resolution as it is just to easy to take a picture from my iMac but the resolution looks horrible.

Really I don't think 1.3MP video chatting is that feasible, I still have trouble with 640x480 and I am on cable (the problem is upload speeds). Chances are they are just using these cameras as they cost the same or less as the old ones.

I have to wonder how it will effect PQ though, it's not like their is an amazing large CCD or great optics on it. Hope it does not hurt low light shots.

netherfred

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2004
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
calculation

what would the bandwidth requirements be on a 1.3 mega pixel streaming video? :confused:

Wouldn't that be... 1.3Mpixel x 20 frames/s x 24 bits = 624 Mbit/s?
But on the other hand: 640 x 480 x 20 frames/s x 24 bits = 147 Mbit/s
So there is some major compression going on anyway. Let's say you need a 1Mbit/s upload for the standard iSight, then you would need at least a 4Mbit/s upload for the high resolution iSight. That's not available to the public here in the Netherlands I think. Maybe in some places like university backbones. All theory though, I don't even own an iSight! :D

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Wouldn't that be... 1.3Mpixel x 20 frames/s x 24 bits = 624 Mbit/s?
But on the other hand: 640 x 480 x 20 frames/s x 24 bits = 147 Mbit/s
So there is some major compression going on anyway. Let's say you need a 1Mbit/s upload for the standard iSight, then you would need at least a 4Mbit/s upload for the high resolution iSight. That's not available to the public here in the Netherlands I think. Maybe in some places like university backbones. All theory though, I don't even own an iSight! :D
4 meg up? No problem. Hooray for college internet!!! 10MB down/6MB up (yes, those are sustained transfer speeds). :D

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Awesome

This is very cool, I've been waiting for the isight to get kicked up a notch.

Now I just need to sell my old iMac so I can afford a new one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.