Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 13, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
squeeks
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to squeeks
PowerBook G4 --> MacBook

friend of mine has a 17" Powerbook g4 1.67 with 2gb ram

he wants to sell it to get something smaller like a macbook

he wouldnt really use it for fcs or anything like that heck he's got a mac pro for that

how else would the diffrences be between these two machines?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Burnsey
macrumors 6502a

Tell him to keep the G4, I would find it hard to go from a 17 inch flagship aluminum laptop to a consumer level plastic macbook, and for what the average user does, the performance gains of the macbook are minimal. In fact I would recommend getting a powerbook G4 over a macbook to anyone with average needs.

If he wants something smaller maybe a switch to the 15inch powerbook.
Burnsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 07:25 AM   #3
Nick012
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsey View Post
Tell him to keep the G4, I would find it hard to go from a 17 inch flagship aluminum laptop to a consumer level plastic macbook, and for what the average user does, the performance gains of the macbook are minimal. In fact I would recommend getting a powerbook G4 over a macbook to anyone with average needs.

Yeah, because a G4 is gonna run iLife '08 and stuff really nicely...
Nick012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 07:27 AM   #4
harmonica01
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick012 View Post
Runs fine on mine, still my g4 is the one with the 128 vram too =/
harmonica01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 07:46 AM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick012 View Post
That G4's pretty late...and it has plenty of memory. It should do okay for at least some of it, although I think it doesn't officially support iMovie 08.

But are you asking about buying the G4 from him, or about replacing it with the Macbook?

The big thing about the Macbook is that it will probably take a hit vs. that particular PB in terms of video processing ability (not affecting things like Photoshop, but probably iPhoto and Aperture). Otherwise, with a good amount of memory, it should generally be a pretty good performer.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:19 AM   #6
squeeks
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
But are you asking about buying the G4 from him, or about replacing it with the Macbook?
umm, replacing with the macbook, i dont want the g4 though using it is what made me go out and buy one...but i have my lovely macbook pro, he just asked me what i thought about him doing that, so i figured i would ask you guys, since ya'll are a bit more experienced in the world of mac products
Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:42 AM   #7
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

The macbook will DESTROY the G4 horribly in just about anything other than gaming. Except the screen is tiny and he loses a bunch of great features that the powerbook had.
EvryDayImShufln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:19 AM   #8
squeeks
macrumors 68040

lets also not forget, this is his third mac, he has a imac that he uses mostly for editing at home, and a mac pro he uses at work, so the laptop is just a casual use machine
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:29 AM   #9
ktbubster
macrumors 6502a

sounds ok to me, since he has so many other computers to use for the more hard-core stuff... however, the screen size and screen type (glossy) may be a bit to get used to, unless he always put his 17 on an external and will be doing the same with his macbook. I know it's just a casual use machine now, but the screen change may be bothersome.

Refurb 15inch macbook pro maybe? You can get some 2.16s and even 2.0 that will still be quite a bit speedier then his powerbook for fairly low prices now.... closer to macbooks (unless he was planning on going for the lowest level whitebook refurd already) very similar feel, slightly less loss of screen size and you can get it in matte which is what he would be used to.

If he doesn't care and has used a macbook (either in the stores for a while or a friends) and likes the feel and the smaller size of it etc, then I say "what are you waiting for!? do it! ".... if not, then I would go ahead and try some out and see if it's ok... if it doesn't quite feel right, then try out a pro and go get a refurb 15incher.
ktbubster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:33 AM   #10
squeeks
macrumors 68040

well, he has used someone else in the office's white macbook, and he likes it, i guess this is where he got the idea in his head to to try and swap them out, however i think he decided its not fincancially possible now, because he wouldnt get enough selling the g4..not that he would get anymore later, less actually, he just has other stuff to pay for right now, anyway, thanks everyone for your responces
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:37 AM   #11
dollystereo
macrumors 6502a

The MAcbook proc, is 3 times faster than the G4!, The HD is SATA and the ram is 4 times faster.
So, I guess GET THE MACBOOK!

PD: He has a MP for heavy duty....
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:40 AM   #12
dollystereo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

THATS ABSOLUTELY FALSE!!, for the average user the computer is way faster, loads time are fasters. Powerup is 1/4 of the PB time, application starts is even shorter, and with today prices on DDR667 ram, you could upgrade the ram to 3GB for less than 100USD.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:47 AM   #13
munckee
macrumors 65816

I went from a 15" PBG4 to a Macbook. As long as he's cool with the screen size, it sounds like it'll be more than sufficient for his needs. I think the screen difference will be the biggest thing to get used to for him (mine was a lo-res PB, so I only lost a few pixels, but the MB screen is still on the smaller size). It's fine for surfing the web, etc, but I wouldn't want to design on it for any long term period.

The only thing I've missed about my powerbook occasionally is the SD output, and that's only because our DVD player died recently and we haven't gotten off our butts to replace it (been using my roommate's PB instead).
munckee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:55 AM   #14
mick4394
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollystereo View Post
THATS ABSOLUTELY FALSE!!, for the average user the computer is way faster, loads time are fasters. Powerup is 1/4 of the PB time, application starts is even shorter
Right you are. The intel Macs are total screamers compared to Power PC Macs. They are noticeably faster, even on the low end, at virtually everything.

Power PC chips are dogs. Live in the now, man.
mick4394 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:59 PM   #15
squeeks
macrumors 68040

ok well, he went and bought the same MBP i have, i dont know what happened to not having the money...oh well not my problem

p.s. they actually had them in our apple store too
Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:52 PM   #16
Gamoe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Tell him to keep the G4, I would find it hard to go from a 17 inch flagship aluminum laptop to a consumer level plastic macbook,
I can agree on the screen size, however, the MacBook is hardier than the MacBook Pro and the PowerBooks of yesteryear, like the iBook was before it, in spite of the "aluminum". The MacBook is not just some cheap version of the MBP. It has its own pros over the MBP and you'd be wise not to look down upon such "consumer level" hardware so quickly.

Quote:
and for what the average user does, the performance gains of the macbook are minimal. In fact I would recommend getting a powerbook G4 over a macbook to anyone with average needs.
I have a G4 desktop, and trying out a MacBook, it's obvious the G4 does not compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeks View Post
ok well, he went and bought the same MBP i have, i dont know what happened to not having the money...oh well not my problem

p.s. they actually had them in our apple store too
Congrats to your friend! Both the MacBooks and MBPs are great systems. It just depends on how yo want to use them.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:57 PM   #17
bursty
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bursty
I sold my 15" G4 PB for a black MacBook and regret every second of it.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:59 PM   #18
squeeks
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bursty View Post
I sold my 15" G4 PB for a black MacBook and regret every second of it.
oh? do share
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:18 PM   #19
Flyinace2000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
oh? do share
I had a 15" PB (1.67, 128 vram, 1.5gb). Work bought me a macbook about a year ago and they only thing the PB did better was Adobe CS2, but now that CS3 has come out the tables are definitely turned. Consider the MB is going to be his mobile, secondary machine, then i say do it. The new intel chips are awesome, unless you really really need to run a application in "classic". But really find a new app.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:21 PM   #20
squeeks
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000 View Post
Consider the MB is going to be his mobile, secondary machine, then i say do it. The new intel chips are awesome, unless you really really need to run a application in "classic". But really find a new app.
dude you gotta keep up with the thread, he already bought a MBP

thanks for the input though
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:31 PM   #21
Saikou
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Saikou
Quote:
oh? do share
I second this. What makes it so bad? Preformance should have gone up... I'm guessing it has to do with the screen size?
Saikou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:31 PM   #22
bursty
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bursty
Quote:
oh? do share
I didnt think going from Alum to plastic would be a big change, but I was wrong. Just feels so cheap after some use. Also, the graphics are completely useless. I use to run my 15" PB with a 20.1" Dell external side by side, ran this way for years. When I try it with the MB, it becomes such a dog, its almost unusable. Shame, it looks nice though.

I hope to upgrade to a new iMac in the somewhat near future, and leave the MacBook soley for on the go, because it is certainly NOT up to the task of serving as a desktop replacement like my PB was.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs