Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld covers more details on the iPhone applications that were developed at the C4 conference.

The most impressive hacks/apps that were developed at C4 included the previously mentioned Lights Out game by Lucas Newman which demonstrates a full speed game written natively on the iPhone. It really is an impressive effort, and maybe the first application that makes it worth going through the various hoops to get an application installed on the iPhone.

A native version of Pong was developed by Jonathan Saggau and allowed control of the paddel using the iPhone's accelerometer, touchscreen or combination of both. The application even added two-player support over the network.

Finally, the Video Conferencing application by Ken and Glen Aspeslasgh won the competition to the oohs and ahhs of the audience.

Macworld notes that the video was not full speed and comprised of "pictures taken every so often by the iPhone's Camera and sent over the network."

Still, these efforts represent the most promising applications to date and can only get better. As more sophisticated applications are released, it becomes apparent how limiting the lack of an official development kit will be on the iPhone.

Article Link

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Apple sees and hears all that goes on in this spectrum and they know the market will demand an official SDK. It's just a matter of time now till they open up and offer one.

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
As all of this greatness expands for the iPhone let's just pause a moment and remember - it's just a mobile phone! Pretty insane when you think about what's already happened, in such a short time frame. I'm sftp-ing into my iphone regularly to add apps, change icons, etc.....when just a short time a ago it was a lengthy jail-break command line experience just to change an icon.

Things are moving pretty quickly now...

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Everyone is releasing new apps and web apps... everyone but Apple... what the hell?

My persistent theory is that Apple is busy at work behind the scenes, and as the first post of the thread says, even if Apple had never planned to release a SDK, they damn well do now.

I have suspected, for some time, that the iPhone we have today is solid in hardware, but the software was probably stripped a bit to get it all working. I base this on the fact that it is (was) quite crashy at first, and simple things like Mail seem totally stripped down. Mail, in particular, looks like they spent a solid weekend on the thing. So, when they consolidated all of Apple's developers, it was probably to get a ship-able version of the phone out the door on June 29.

Now that the main deadline is reached, Apple is likely (hopefully!) back working on what may have been the original 1.0 feature set, which include the highly criticized lack of MMS and other features already present in competitors, and we'll see a v1.1 (or maybe even a v2.0) by the end of the year. This v1.0.1 we saw a few weeks back is a branch on the 1.0 source which they'll merge into the trunk of their current dev effort.

Anyways, once they get everything polished, and make their own internal tools more efficient at allowing them to design non-crashy apps, they'll release the SDK and the iPhone will friggin explode.

Even I can write some stuff I need: A tide chart. A weather widget (with more information than "it's 75 and raining"). A iStumbler. A newton-style sketching program.

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
Apple is confusing me here. Are they simply trying to see how desperate people are for a development kit? Or do they really feel that closing down the iPhone is the best option?

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
As voiced above, I believe apple is hard at work to bring an iPhone SDK ASAP - the web 2.0 stuff is only a stopgap. Of course, they didn't want to wait till their SDK is ready to get the iPhone out - I am sure that is true for most people who have an iPhone now - they wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer.

That said, it may turn out that apple cannot find a way to keep the iPhone both secure and offer full developer support any time soon. But I am sure they are as busy as they can be on trying to find it.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
That said, it may turn out that apple cannot find a way to keep the iPhone both secure and offer full developer support any time soon. But I am sure they are as busy as they can be on trying to find it.

Yeah, can you imagine Steve Jobs says, "Alrighty. That went well. I guess we're done with the iPhone. Everybody take a vacation."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.