Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
I tried before with iPhoto 5 and noticed the comments didn't copy. I want to back up with iPhoto 6 now, to DVD(s), and am concerned my hard work adding comments to my photos is going to be wasted. I really, really want to keep them. If they won't export with iPhoto, any suggestions?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Why not back up the library as it is? Make a copy (and possibly archive it) of the iPhoto folder in your Pictures folder and you should be set. :)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Copy across the whole Pictures > iPhoto Library? I was thinking of doing that between our three machines, wirelessly, since I've got one library in order (got rid of the duplicates from previous pan-version exports). Then all three would have the same clean library. However, I'd like a hard copy on DVD. I think 4500 photos should go on a couple of DVDs but the whole iPhoto Library is almost 12GB. If I simply 'export' I'm going to lose the comments, right? Are you saying I should just copy the entire iPhoto Library to DVD? How do I do that across multiple DVDs? Never been there.

Thanks man :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It depends on the app you use to burn the DVD. Some apps will allow you to split up a file into segments. Perhaps you could make an archive of the Pictures/iPhoto folder and then get it split across multiple DVDs. Alternatively, you could manually drag components of it to each DVD and then recompile it if necessary into the one folder with the same folder structures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.