Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1
iscripter
macrumors member

Question Gmail attachments

Does anybody else have problems with email attachments through gmail on the iphone. When ever I get an email with attachments it will download the first time fine. Then when I try to access it again it won't work and I get a message "This message has not been downloaded from the server."

Does anybody else get this error message. The attachments I am getting are nothing complicated just plain old .jpg, .doc, .xls. Nothing the iphone shouldn't be able to handle.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:59 AM   #2
spicoli
macrumors member

Same here.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:14 AM   #3
thisonechance
macrumors regular

I also face the same issues. I think much of this could be resolved if they (Apple) would allow attachments to be downloaded to the phone.

The email app needs some tweaking.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:16 AM   #4
runplaysleeprun
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to runplaysleeprun
I have this same problem.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:38 PM   #5
benbarsh
macrumors newbie

iPhone

I can attest to successfully opening two attachemnets from my gmail account. However, mail.app crashed like 5 times before i could open the second attachment. The first attachment opened fine first try. They were both 2 page .doc files.
benbarsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:34 PM   #6
gunitsold1er
macrumors newbie

i am having the same problem, i think also there is a problem with gmail letting us download the images, not apple not downloading them to the phone because ive had that problem with other cell phones before using gmails pop
gunitsold1er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 02:24 PM   #7
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a

Same problem here, grr.
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 02:50 PM   #8
toshiba1
macrumors newbie

is it just the attachment, or the entire message which is unretrievable?
toshiba1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:58 PM   #9
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a

In my case, it was weird. The entire message was unreadable when you clicked on that individual email (there was just a few lines of text, then a picture in the message. But...it the preview screen, I could read some of the text that was contained in the email.
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 04:56 PM   #10
toshiba1
macrumors newbie

well if the problem is that the entire message (inc the attachment) results in the '"This message has not been downloaded from the server." message, then the solution is to enable 'Use Recent Mode' in the email settings on the iPhone and also set the gmail POP settings to 'When messages are accessed with POP -> keep Gmail's copy in the inbox"
toshiba1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:21 AM   #11
julieann123
macrumors newbie

Use recent mode...

I am having this same issue and the "use recent mode is on".....intermitently....I also have this on my regular pop3 account. I have all but given up and forwarded to Gmail.....I called my isp, Cbeyond and they say it is not there issue. I was hoping this would be fixed in an update.

Last edited by julieann123; Aug 17, 2007 at 11:29 AM.
julieann123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 03:27 PM   #12
askripko
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to askripko
One of the first bugs, i have found in my iPhone, it's very dissapointing for me, i use gmail everyday for work and for friends. I hope Apple will managed this bug in next update...
askripko is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting