Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Katie lamented the lack of an iPhone-specific Facebook version, but we had heard that one was coming... and soon. Mashable spotted the test version of Facebook's iPhone which had been housed at themob.facebook.com but quickly removed.

fbphone.png

According to Mashable this "might be the best iPhone app so far."
The interface slides horizontally as you choose options, and the site is laid out in such a way that the essential features are much easier to find than on the main site - browse friends, check your Facebook mail, read the news feed and use pretty much every other Facebook feature from this more compact viewpoint.

Of particular interest, Joe Hewitt replied in the comments indicating that he was responsible for the iPhone implementation of Facebook and that the official launch is coming soon. Hewitt is responsible for much of the early javascript/web implementations for the iPhone (Wired profile)

So hang on Katie... it'll be here soon.

Article Link

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
This will be great for me. I use facebook all the time. So when I finally get my iPhone, I will be able to check it anywhere on campus! Well I guess I could do it anyway by just going to the normal site, but it will be much cooler this way.:D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
GOOD!

'Bout time! :mad: :mad:

Except I'll be on campus with my laptop when this comes out and so worried about an iPhone-related mugging that it won't matter. Hee. :)

emanaydin

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2007
oh wow this would be phenominal.. even tho browsing facebook in safari isnt that bad at all..

travistaylor

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Sweet! I can't wait for it to be released. I can honestly say that a whole bunch of my friends will be quite jealous when I can browse Facebook in style on my iPhone.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
i hope you can upload iphone pics to your facebook account!

can't wait for myspace to make an iphone friendly app also!

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
i hope you can upload iphone pics to your facebook account!

can't wait for myspace to make an iphone friendly app also!

I believe myspace has some type of special service deal with Helio. If that is the case, I wouldn't expect to see anything myspace related for iPhone.

AaronHeth

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2005
Savannah, Georgia
So, on a whim I decided since themob.facebook.com was down to see if they moved it to a more suitable name.

Sure enough, iphone.facebook.com worked! :) (For now.) Really neat.

Edit: pyn posted it first. :)

iLeoMarc

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
wow, the iPhone version is amazing!

I might find myself using it more than the actual website

Yeah, Same here. I actually found myself posting on friend's walls, which I wouldn't normally do. And the way they integrated photo albums, looks great with the black background; makes me want to actually use that feature more.

Just Needs the Poke feature... LOL.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
When is Myspace going to get some love? The normal pages look okay, but it could use a clean up to help speed things up. Just a nice clean format so I can leave some of my friends a message and get the hell out of there without crashing safari. TOOO MANY ANIMATED GIFS MAKE SAFARI SAD :D

acocke

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I love the facebook look for the iPhone but I noticed something?? Can you edit your profile through the iPhone version I could not find a way???

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
Sorry not a relevant question but what exactly is Face Book?

I went to their web site but it wanted me to register and didn't say what it did. I am not going to sign up for something which I don't understand

From what I can gather its something to join if you want your identity stolen and all your emabarressing incidents free for the world to see.

Is it just a online photo sharing thing. If this is what it is why the fascination???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.