Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:51 PM   #1
bindigok
macrumors regular

Can iCal print portrait monthly views?

I need to print a monthly calendar from iCal, but in Portrait view not landscape. Is there a way to do that? iCal will only print in Landscape, no where in the options can I change it. Please help, I've searched the forums and found nothing addressing this issue. Thanks...
bindigok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:00 AM   #2
polycat33
macrumors 6502

I just went in to fool around with settings to see if I could find the right one. Here's what I found. When you first pull up the print page it comes up in landscape. I used the drop down menu for "Paper" and selected one of the CD options. I got just a big yellow triangle with an exclamation point, and when I went back to what it was on (US Letter) it was in Portrait this time. Didn't try to actually print but I'll guess it comes out portrait. I couldn't see any straightforward way to do this without tricking the program.
polycat33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Dafke
macrumors 6502

What you could do is say "Print" and choose for "Save as PDF". Then you open the saved pdf file in Preview, go to "Page setup..." and change the orientation to Portrait. You will also have to scale the page to about 70%. This should do the trick!
Dafke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4
bindigok
macrumors regular

I don't have CD options. I tried the other suggestions and I can't seem to get anything to print it in Portrait view. I can sync all my calendars on Google and print from there, but it's not a great print-out. I really like the look of iCal monthly print-outs, but I just need it in portrait. Any other ideas?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:12 PM   #5
bindigok
macrumors regular

I should probably add that I am trying to print the monthly calendar on a half-size sheet of paper for my planner. The only way I can get good weekly print-outs is to use Sunbird. But I love the look of iCal's monthlies, if only they allowed it in Portrait view.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:28 PM   #6
bindigok
macrumors regular

Well, I may have figured something out that works... kind of odd but it seems to work.

I have to completely quit iCal. Then go into Custom paper sizes (I went through Mail App, because it was already open and on the desktop). I created a custom size that was 11 x 11, with 2" left and right margins (0 for top and bottom). Then I opened iCal, selected print, and when I selected the custom paper size, the preview of the calendar was in portrait - although an odd size paper. But when I changed the paper size back to letter or legal - the calendar remained in portrait view. I was then able to print it and scale it to my half-size sheet of paper and print it... I don't understand why it does that, but it works.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 03:28 AM   #7
polycat33
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindigok View Post
Well, I may have figured something out that works... kind of odd but it seems to work.

I have to completely quit iCal. Then go into Custom paper sizes (I went through Mail App, because it was already open and on the desktop). I created a custom size that was 11 x 11, with 2" left and right margins (0 for top and bottom). Then I opened iCal, selected print, and when I selected the custom paper size, the preview of the calendar was in portrait - although an odd size paper. But when I changed the paper size back to letter or legal - the calendar remained in portrait view. I was then able to print it and scale it to my half-size sheet of paper and print it... I don't understand why it does that, but it works.
That's pretty much the work-around I described except that since you don't have the CD options (which are for me the random size that tricks iCal into showing portrait for regular paper) you had to make the custom one. Don't even know why I have the CD options, they don't actually work.
polycat33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:32 PM   #8
kismoore
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to kismoore
here is how to print iCal in Portrait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lva8apX1mSY

ENJOY!
...and remember to "like" the youtube vid put out by this guy cuz it's good to let people know when they've helped.
kismoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Gregg2
macrumors 601

All of you who were searching for a solution for this nearly four years ago; was it worth the wait?
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store