Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bindigok

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
I need to print a monthly calendar from iCal, but in Portrait view not landscape. Is there a way to do that? iCal will only print in Landscape, no where in the options can I change it. Please help, I've searched the forums and found nothing addressing this issue. Thanks...

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
I just went in to fool around with settings to see if I could find the right one. Here's what I found. When you first pull up the print page it comes up in landscape. I used the drop down menu for "Paper" and selected one of the CD options. I got just a big yellow triangle with an exclamation point, and when I went back to what it was on (US Letter) it was in Portrait this time. Didn't try to actually print but I'll guess it comes out portrait. I couldn't see any straightforward way to do this without tricking the program.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
What you could do is say "Print" and choose for "Save as PDF". Then you open the saved pdf file in Preview, go to "Page setup..." and change the orientation to Portrait. You will also have to scale the page to about 70%. This should do the trick!

bindigok

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
I don't have CD options. I tried the other suggestions and I can't seem to get anything to print it in Portrait view. I can sync all my calendars on Google and print from there, but it's not a great print-out. I really like the look of iCal monthly print-outs, but I just need it in portrait. Any other ideas?

bindigok

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
I should probably add that I am trying to print the monthly calendar on a half-size sheet of paper for my planner. The only way I can get good weekly print-outs is to use Sunbird. But I love the look of iCal's monthlies, if only they allowed it in Portrait view.

bindigok

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Well, I may have figured something out that works... kind of odd but it seems to work.

I have to completely quit iCal. Then go into Custom paper sizes (I went through Mail App, because it was already open and on the desktop). I created a custom size that was 11 x 11, with 2" left and right margins (0 for top and bottom). Then I opened iCal, selected print, and when I selected the custom paper size, the preview of the calendar was in portrait - although an odd size paper. But when I changed the paper size back to letter or legal - the calendar remained in portrait view. I was then able to print it and scale it to my half-size sheet of paper and print it... I don't understand why it does that, but it works.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
Well, I may have figured something out that works... kind of odd but it seems to work.

I have to completely quit iCal. Then go into Custom paper sizes (I went through Mail App, because it was already open and on the desktop). I created a custom size that was 11 x 11, with 2" left and right margins (0 for top and bottom). Then I opened iCal, selected print, and when I selected the custom paper size, the preview of the calendar was in portrait - although an odd size paper. But when I changed the paper size back to letter or legal - the calendar remained in portrait view. I was then able to print it and scale it to my half-size sheet of paper and print it... I don't understand why it does that, but it works.

That's pretty much the work-around I described except that since you don't have the CD options (which are for me the random size that tricks iCal into showing portrait for regular paper) you had to make the custom one. Don't even know why I have the CD options, they don't actually work. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.