Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:48 AM   #1
chelsel
macrumors 6502

Disable iPhoto and iTunes autostart??

Is there any way to disable iTunes and iPhoto from starting when I plug in my iPhone? All I want to do is charge the device when I plug it in... if I want to do any syncing then I'll start the apps on my own.

Thanks.
chelsel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:27 PM   #2
chelsel
macrumors 6502

I've noticed another problem with leaving the phone connected to the computer... every time I reboot or switch accounts iPhoto and iTunes start up... there has to be a way to prevent iTunes/iPhoto from launching when the phone's connected.
chelsel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:36 PM   #3
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

If you launch the Image Capture program and pop into its preferences and set it to do nothing when a camera is attached, that should stop iPhoto from starting each time you plug your iPhone in.

Maybe in iTunes if you tell it to manually sync your iPhone that'll stop it from popping up.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 01:56 AM   #4
forrie
macrumors newbie

That works

I can confirm that changing the Image Capture setting in its respective preferences stops iPhoto from popping up.

God, was that annoying! :-)

Seems like they should have some logical pointer in the iTunes/iPhone preferences for that.
forrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 04:26 AM   #5
mickhyperion
macrumors regular

You can disable iTunes automatic syncing by going into iTunes Preferences then click the Syncing tab and check the box next to "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods," but it will still launch the program. That's something they should fix.

Last edited by mickhyperion; May 4, 2008 at 04:32 AM.
mickhyperion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:16 PM   #6
homa2001
macrumors newbie

Wink iTunes autostart

In your Activity Monitor kill iTunes Helper process and it will prevent iTunes from loading when you connect your iPhone. But I suspect it will also stop iTunes from loading when you connect your iPod. You would have to manually start iTunes every time you connect your iPod or iPhone.

Also, to preserve this state, you might want to remove iTunes Helper from your login items.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:46 PM   #7
PlunderDome
macrumors newbie

it works

I use image capture instead of iphoto anyway......but ur right....that was annoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrie View Post
I can confirm that changing the Image Capture setting in its respective preferences stops iPhoto from popping up.

God, was that annoying! :-)

Seems like they should have some logical pointer in the iTunes/iPhone preferences for that.
PlunderDome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:24 AM   #8
dannieloco
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
If you launch the Image Capture program and pop into its preferences and set it to do nothing when a camera is attached, that should stop iPhoto from starting each time you plug your iPhone in.

Maybe in iTunes if you tell it to manually sync your iPhone that'll stop it from popping up.
Just like photos on the iPhone, screenshots on the iPod touch are stored in the Photos app, though in an album called Saved Photos (instead of Camera Roll on the iPhone). Whenever an item exists in Saved Photos, plugging the iPod touch into the Mac causes iPhoto to launch, since it assumes you want to copy the image to your Mac for safekeeping.

The solution is easy. Open the Photos app on the iPod touch, tap the Saved Photos album, tap the screenshot, tap the trash button in the lower right corner, and tap the big red Delete Photo button that appears.
dannieloco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:30 AM   #9
UngratefulNinja
macrumors 68000

Wow, old thread!
UngratefulNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting