Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:43 PM   #1
happymacker
macrumors newbie

Restore window once minimized

First of all, glad I made the switch to Mac. I only wish that I would have started off on one. It's so much easier that I tend to make things difficult while still shaking a PC-mindset.

Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut that allows a window to be restored to its original size once it's minimized or hidden? I would like to use the command+tab to switch to the application, then restore the window with the keyboard. For example, when using mail, I will minimize the window and use Safari. When I cycle back to mail (command+tab) I have activated the program again, but I have to click on Window>Message Viewer to see my mailbox again.

Maybe I'm just being lazy. But, I want to figure this out. Thanks.
happymacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:47 PM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

I don't think a keyboard shortcut exists for that, but you could always create one.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:30 PM   #3
apfhex
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
but you could always create one.
However there's no menu command anywhere to un-minimize a window. Even Bring All to Front doesn't do it.

I suggest that instead of minimizing, use the Hide command (Command H). Command Tab will then bring the hidden windows back.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:54 PM   #4
tjevans
macrumors member

Try Witch

Download "witch," which, (no pun intended) is similar to the windows alt-tab powertoy, and a supplement to the mac's cmd-tab function. You can set a preference to allow it to restore minimized windows. I just tried it with Safari and it worked.
tjevans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:08 PM   #5
I'm a ROb
macrumors member

If you don't want to switch from your keyboard to you mouse, you could also use:
- press CRTL + F3 to activate the Dock
- use the arrow keys to navigate to the minimised window.
It's perhaps not the fasted solution, but it works.
I'm a ROb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:47 PM   #6
pcorajr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjevans View Post
Download "witch," which, (no pun intended) is similar to the windows alt-tab powertoy, and a supplement to the mac's cmd-tab function. You can set a preference to allow it to restore minimized windows. I just tried it with Safari and it worked.
Sweet thanks for the tip, i am a big time keyboard user and hardly use my mouse but for gaming or other minor things.
pcorajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:47 PM   #7
happymacker
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips guys. Witch is really nice.
happymacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 02:32 PM   #8
jrwest
macrumors newbie

Instead of minimizing the window, hide the window. Cmd H. I believe that when you Cmd Tab through your apps, when you select one, it will restore any app window to the screen that has been hidden.

More useful than minimize IMO.

I hope this answers your question. I may have misunderstood though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymacker View Post
First of all, glad I made the switch to Mac. I only wish that I would have started off on one. It's so much easier that I tend to make things difficult while still shaking a PC-mindset.

Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut that allows a window to be restored to its original size once it's minimized or hidden? I would like to use the command+tab to switch to the application, then restore the window with the keyboard. For example, when using mail, I will minimize the window and use Safari. When I cycle back to mail (command+tab) I have activated the program again, but I have to click on Window>Message Viewer to see my mailbox again.

Maybe I'm just being lazy. But, I want to figure this out. Thanks.
jrwest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Brôtkvest
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwest View Post
Instead of minimizing the window, hide the window. Cmd H. I believe that when you Cmd Tab through your apps, when you select one, it will restore any app window to the screen that has been hidden.

More useful than minimize IMO.

I hope this answers your question. I may have misunderstood though.
This information was REALLY helpful!

Being a switcher (or more like an "adder" since there are still PCs in the household) this is something I have been looking for. Why are there two almost similar commands? What does minimize do that hide don't and vice versa??

Thanks anyway!
Old May 20, 2009, 04:00 PM   #10
davewilsn05
macrumors newbie

Check this Blog - Minwoo’s Right Brain Archive

I copied and pasted the info below from this blog:

http://nahhhh.com/2008/02/26/restore...n-mac-finally/

Ctrl-F3 which put focus on the Dock. Bah. This method sucks as you need to use arrow key to navigate through the dock icons. It’s good in case you absolutely have to press something on the dock… almost never, for me.
Cmd-tab then press Option as you release Cmd key. Good ‘ol Option key. There are so many hidden goodies on Mac apps associates with the Option. Awesome!
davewilsn05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:11 AM   #11
Brôtkvest
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilsn05 View Post

Ctrl-F3 which put focus on the Dock. Bah. This method sucks as you need to use arrow key to navigate through the dock icons. It’s good in case you absolutely have to press something on the dock… almost never, for me.
Cmd-tab then press Option as you release Cmd key. Good ‘ol Option key. There are so many hidden goodies on Mac apps associates with the Option. Awesome!
T H A N K S!

Ok, there is one more key invalved, but it definitely does the trick.

In my opinion this is the winner.

I must definitely explore the possibilities of the "Good ‘ol Option key" more
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:06 PM   #12
haggard126
macrumors newbie

Another solution

You can command+tab to the program that is minimized and before you let go of command roll your thumb over to the alt/option key. hope that makes sense
haggard126 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:13 AM   #13
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymacker View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Witch is really nice.
Wicked!
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 12:50 AM   #14
iamfred
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I spent 10 minutes registering, just want to say "This is fabulous!"
iamfred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:40 PM   #15
sollarman
macrumors newbie

Same here. Registered to say THANK YOU !
sollarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:16 AM   #16
minholie
macrumors newbie

Quote:

This is an awesome approach, but for mountain lion, there is a better way:

Cmd+tab to the app that you want.
Ctrl+down to enter application windows
Choosing window you want with arrows keys. The chosen window will be indicated by glowing outer box (the minimized windows will be smaller in the bottom). Enter

Hope this help.
minholie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help