Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Phill Ryu posts a list of 5 native iPhone Apps he'd like to see with mockup designs of the applications:

booksfull[2]_500.jpg

The wishlist includes:

- An Archive.org/Ebook Reader
- iTunes Store for iPhone
- Sketching for iPhone
- VoIP Calls
- iMovie for iPhone

I think based on all the web-IM applications, we can safely add iChat instant messaging to the list of most wanted applications.

Article Link

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I have a list too. It doesn't have anything in common with his. But he has mockups.

My list has:

1. App to download .puz (crossword puzzle files) and do them on the iPhone
2. Sync Notes and ToDo list
3. Create and edit documents and spreadsheets
4. App to securely hold passwords and other information
5. App with nice PIM interface that shows me my upcoming meetings, to-dos, recently opened documents, etc., all on one nice "home screen"

I have others, but those are my Top 5. I definitely live in a different world from Phill.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I saw that and LOVED the idea!
Enable movie mode for the camera, and then a little app to move them around...maybe a few transitions and a title generator... and VOILA!
Post it to YouTube - you're set!

Let's say you did have a very simple iMovie-like application on your iPhone. According to this article, you'd be editing movies at the speed of about a PowerMac G5 @ 160Mhz, with 128MB of RAM. You'd have it done faster if you just waited until you got home and edited it on your desktop. :rolleyes:

djkirsten

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
ipod integration

i'd like to see software + hardware (a double ipod ended cable) that would let you plug your ipod into your iphone and you could play music and especially video from your ipod on your iphone (and its beautiful screen).

apple probably wouldn't allow it as then you could have a "80 + 4 or 8 gig" iphone.

cmon! with that special cable you can plug your camera into your ipod and upload photos to it.

i also agree that making the iphone into more of a computer would be neat with some programs that'll let you draw and copy and paste and edit documents. The thing already is pretty much a laptop....with just a few software updates this thing could really do some sweet stuff (not as if it doesn't already, the phone blows me away every day)!

studiomusic

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2004
Round the world
Let's say you did have a very simple iMovie-like application on your iPhone. According to this article, you'd be editing movies at the speed of about a PowerMac G5 @ 160Mhz, with 128MB of RAM. You'd have it done faster if you just waited until you got home and edited it on your desktop. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not going to be editing hi-res dv video, it would be more of a scratch rendering-type codec (pro-res for iphone?).
I used to edit video on an old imac G3...

SalsaShark

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2000
What I still would like more than probably anything else is an IM client. However, I don't think we're likely to see it--ever--for one big reason. With 1G GPRS, you can do voice and data simultaneously, albeit slowly. Since an IM client needs to constantly poll for data, it works fine on 1G, but on EDGE, you'd never receive a phone call because it would always be tied up.

So other than short sessions using a web-based client, SMS, and incoming IM to SMS, I think we're SOL.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
...but on EDGE, you'd never receive a phone call because it would always be tied up.

So other than short sessions using a web-based client, SMS, and incoming IM to SMS, I think we're SOL.

But just about every other phone you can type on (Treo, Win Mob, Smartphone, BB) has IM clients available. It's just a matter of how much risk each iPhone owner is willing to take that he/she will miss phone calls.

CMTobin

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
That's exactly the problem that I'm hoping they resolve... To me an iChat program would be useless unless it was like the SMS program, and didn't affect how I received calls.

Does anyone know if using the EDGE means not getting calls, texts, and voicemails is an iPhone exclusive problem...or if that is TRUELY just a downfall of EDGE and we're forever dumbed to decided which we'd like?

I don't even like checking e-mail automatically once I realized many people were being sent straight to voicemail.. To me, the iPhone is almost just a phone now.. Receiving calls on my CELL PHONE is kinda a big deal!

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
That's exactly the problem that I'm hoping they resolve... To me an iChat program would be useless unless it was like the SMS program, and didn't affect how I received calls.

Does anyone know if using the EDGE means not getting calls, texts, and voicemails is an iPhone exclusive problem...or if that is TRUELY just a downfall of EDGE and we're forever dumbed to decided which we'd like?

I don't even like checking e-mail automatically once I realized many people were being sent straight to voicemail.. To me, the iPhone is almost just a phone now.. Receiving calls on my CELL PHONE is kinda a big deal!

Uh, what?

Using EDGE doesn't affect your ability to receive calls or texts. When using your PHONE, EDGE data services are not available.

The absence of iChat is dumbfounding. Chat has been a standard feature of most smartphones for years now. Instead they wrote an iChat-like interface to SMS (which is admittedly cool, but not the same thing at all as iChat). I don't get it.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
eBook Reader -- Well, you have that NOW if you want it. Just email yourself the book in your choice of txt, doc or pdf, and you can read it just fine. Would be nice to have a better interface for it, but it's not a big deal.

Sketching -- I actually wrote an AJAX app that did this, before finding out that the iPhone didn't support the necessary mouse movement events. Problem with it will be that the iPhone's screen is just wrong for drawings of any meaning or precision. My app was called "Fingerpaint" and was nothing more than a diversion, the kind of thing you could set your kids on or doodle with at the bar.

VOIP -- Really now. You want to use a cell phone to get the internet so you can make phone calls on it? Dumb! And since the biggest argument FOR would be to save money on phone calls, you can bet AT&T will resist all the way.

iTunes Store for Phone -- Would be great for podcasts and internet radio, and I bet I'd use it once in a while for other stuff. But Edge is too slow for full res video downloads.

iMovie -- What is he stoned? The technical aspects of this aren't that bad (we have hardware to create video and play back video, so all you'd be dealing with is splicing). But having worked with small devices before, I can say they are obnoxious to use for creating rich content (Word Apps, Excel Docs, etc). Mail, Events and Contacts are enough for me, thanks.

However, some Apps we really, really need:
iChat.
Internet Radio.
Flash (just necessary for too many sites).

Some that might be nice:
A dashboard.
A very basic money management app -- check your bank and credit accounts, record purchases, etc.
Movie/Audio recording (though I doubt I'd ever use this).

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
BTW: the absence of something so obvious like chat is almost certainly due to the complex industry politics Apple had to play to get the iPhone released. I'll bet AT&T was nervous about their data network expanding exponentially and they translated that to a moratorium against any data apps that were "always on," such as chat or internet radio or even push email.

I'll bet Apple had even developed the thing, and then had to turn it off at AT&T's insistence. Why else would we get such a perfunctory SMS application, lacking multimedia capabilities like sending pictures and movies, unless it was a scaled back afterthought?

Leesure

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2006
1. App to download .puz (crossword puzzle files) and do them on the iPhone
2. Sync Notes and ToDo list
3. Create and edit documents and spreadsheets
4. App to securely hold passwords and other information
5. App with nice PIM interface that shows me my upcoming meetings, to-dos, recently opened documents, etc., all on one nice "home screen"

I couldn't care less about #1, but the rest are dead on. Especially the ToDo.

velorapide

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007

Um... read it again...

Geekbench said:
but it looks like the ARM CPU performs reasonably well (around 10% the performance of a Power Mac G5 1.6GHz at the best of times)

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
What I still would like more than probably anything else is an IM client. However, I don't think we're likely to see it--ever--for one big reason. With 1G GPRS, you can do voice and data simultaneously, albeit slowly. Since an IM client needs to constantly poll for data, it works fine on 1G, but on EDGE, you'd never receive a phone call because it would always be tied up.

No No No... unless nokia is magic this is one of the biggest falsities I've been seeing.

I have IM on my old E62 and I was constantly interrupted by incoming calls.

This is absolutely some kind of urban tech myth. I agree that maybe it's the other way around, but I have always received calls while on IM.

SalsaShark

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2000
Well, then they're doing something the iPhone isn't, because I can verify with 100% repeatability that while actively using EDGE I can't receive calls.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
It would be nice to see applications (not web based) and ring tones available on the iTunes Store :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.